Great pubs

Chris B

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

A pub needs a dog in there at all times. 

We used to have a black Labarador and whenever he was in the pub he'd be constantly checking the doors for a chance of escape. We got a call from Debenham's in the town centre to tell us they'd found him in there once. He got out one night, and the morning after we got a call from a farmer in Preston saying he'd found him sat by one of his fields just watching the sheep. He was a crafty one. We had to bar one of our dogs because he kept biting people. We'd tell them all bit to touch him because he was bitey, but they'd always say the classic "he won't bite me, I'm good with dogs." right before moaning that he'd bitten them. The current dog is daft as a brush and scared of suitcases, but at least we know he's safe in there at night. Some of the customers' dogs are ace as well. Ned the poodle is a proper little character. We keep biscuits behind the bar and always have a tub filled with water out if they need a drink. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

One of the pubs in my local area, the Priory, has a fair few dog regulars. One of them's a black Labrador who's a little tart - goes around the room looking shyly up at people to be petted. Lovely dog. There's also a mahoosive Husky who just sits there looking serene.

Dogs make everywhere better, not just pubs. I visited one of my works other offices once and midway through a big team meeting a black Labrador walked in, wandered around getting a stroke off a few folk and then walked out. Didn't even belong to anyone that worked there, it was someone's on the industrial estate and it went from office to office for a fuss. It wasn't there the second time I had to visit and made for a much more shit experience.

• Paid Members

When I was in hospital after my TIA they brought a dog in on the Saturday and it lifted everybody's day. 

Coach and Horses on a Saturday night was always a good laugh. A top sing-a-long. I went to the big party on Saturday before closing and it was great to see the old place go out. There was even a bagpipe player on the bar (or I could have been pissed and imagined it) Ashame I wasn't there on the last night. Fond memories of Christmas boozing. I once saw Tom Baker getting into a cab just outside it about 15 years ago. Felt like I had witnessed magic.

• Paid Members

One of the best pub dogs I can remember was in a pub in Barnham. He was a border collie and if you bowled a coin at him underarm he'd catch it in his mouth and take it to a charity jar next to the bar. A great little money raising scheme, if indeed the money actually went to charity. 

• Paid Members

It's gone now, sadly replaced by some hipstery comedy club, but The Mucky Pup in Islington was a cracking little place. Off a backstreet a few roads away from Angel, it was on a corner of a residential road, so it was never rammed. Friendly bar staff, minimal food menu, dart board, pool table. Always full of dogs, as you would expect and never full of wankers (a commonality among pubs in Islington for the most part). Beer was cheap, and if it was your birthday they'd generally ply you with your shot of choice on the house for the whole evening. It looked like a dingy metal pub, but there was always ska, two-tone and classic rock on the agenda, as well as the odd Prince album.

Most importantly, it felt like a proper pub. No pretense, no bullshit, just a great pub with a great atmosphere. And great dogs, as the name suggests.   

Bit more info on it here https://londonist.com/pubs/pubs/mucky-pup 

It's 'The Bill Murray' now. I went there for the first time a few weeks ago to see Stewart Lee do a warm up. It is very hipstery but it gets a few good acts acts popping in. But yeah,it lacks any character. It's the same with The Compton Arms off of Upper Street. Used to be a small, off the beaten track pub. Now its a wooden floored, white walls hellhole.