Bad pub guide 2019

Kaz Hayashi

• Awards Moderator
On 6/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, BomberPat said:

Supplementary question:

What are the key indicators of a bad pub? What, even if the place had no customers in it, would just scream "shit pub" the moment you walk through the door, or just from the signage outside?

That’s the thing. You should never judge a boozer on its outside or inside appearance. The first pint is the key. Judge the place after that.

You can’t have a good pub with bad ale and you can’t have a bad pub with good ale.

Everything else just adds to the scorecard.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

56 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

That’s the thing. You should never judge a boozer on its outside or inside appearance. The first pint is the key. Judge the place after that.

You can’t have a good pub with bad ale and you can’t have a bad pub with good ale.

Everything else just adds to the scorecard.

As a Liverpool resident I'm wondering if you've ever been to The Dispensary? I haven't myself but have always wanted to, as it has the reputation of being a brilliant pub with a great choice of beers, but the landlord is allegedly a right nutter bordering on psycho who will be majorly pissed off if you order a half/Coke/orange juice/ask to use the toilet/he doesn't like the look of you. 

The Trip Advisor reviews are a constant source of amusement on quiet days at work:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186337-d3672653-Reviews-The_Dispensary-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Awards Moderator

It’s a great boozer, @Otto Dem Wanz. Only ten minutes from mine and when I’m up that end of town on a night out I’ll usually have a drink in there.

The choice, quality and turnaround of new ales is ace. It’ll never win any awards for interior decor but it does have some great historical photos and dock-related signs dotted around.

I’ve only seen the landlord/bar staff get arsey a couple of times but it’s usually when someone’s being a tit. Although saying that, I wouldn’t want to be on the end of a staredown if I ordered Stella or Carling or whatever. Good ale only in that place.

Not been in for a while but I’m up that end on Saturday, so I’ll probably pop in!

Just now, Frankie Crisp said:

It’s a great boozer, @Otto Dem Wanz. Only ten minutes from mine and when I’m up that end of town on a night out I’ll usually have a drink in there.

The choice, quality and turnaround of new ales is ace. It’ll never win any awards for interior decor but it does have some great historical photos and dock-related signs dotted around.

I’ve only seen the landlord/bar staff get arsey a couple of times but it’s usually when someone’s being a tit. Although saying that, I wouldn’t want to be on the end of a staredown if I ordered Stella or Carling or whatever. Good ale only in that place.

Not been in for a while but I’m up that end on Saturday, so I’ll probably pop in!

Sounds top notch, I'm into my beer so shouldn't be a problem. I will definitely make sure myself and the lads at football swing by there next time then, if it all goes wrong its your fault though :D  

Enjoy your Saturday pint and bare chested brawl with Crazy Dave!

36 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

As a Liverpool resident I'm wondering if you've ever been to The Dispensary? I haven't myself but have always wanted to, as it has the reputation of being a brilliant pub with a great choice of beers, but the landlord is allegedly a right nutter bordering on psycho who will be majorly pissed off if you order a half/Coke/orange juice/ask to use the toilet/he doesn't like the look of you. 

The Trip Advisor reviews are a constant source of amusement on quiet days at work:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186337-d3672653-Reviews-The_Dispensary-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

We had a pub like that in Dublin. Decent beer selection, cocktails, gin etc, but the owner was a psycho who would regularly start fights with his own clientèle/the staff in the bigger craft bar up the road. Never affected me but was hilarious to watch... 

44 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

it has the reputation of being a brilliant pub with a great choice of beers, but the landlord is allegedly a right nutter bordering on psycho who will be majorly pissed off if you order a half/Coke/orange juice/ask to use the toilet/he doesn't like the look of you. 

"No pint for you!"

I'm off to Chester in the summer and we're looking at heading into Liverpool. In a twisted way this just makes me want to try the place more.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Same here on Saturday. Drop us a message if you fancy a swift half. 

• Awards Moderator
20 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Sounds top notch, I'm into my beer so shouldn't be a problem. I will definitely make sure myself and the lads at football swing by there next time then, if it all goes wrong its your fault though :D  

Enjoy your Saturday pint and bare chested brawl with Crazy Dave!

Happy to recommend some cracking boozers in and around that area... but this is the wrong thread for that.

@PowerButchi - I’ll give you a shout on Saturday. We’re up the top end (Georgian Quarter) if that’s anywhere near your plans.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

My old local, The Newtown House in Dublin is a horrific kip. It's grand for matches and all, but it's likely to be frequented by a slew of Celtic, Man Utd and Liverpool jerseys, the smell of bins, betting slips from the bookies next door being used to prevent skidmarks, pint glasses that have a bit of carrot and/or stomach lining stuck halfway down it and someone with a guitar and a Chelsea top singing Come Out You Black & Tans and the Fields of Athenry seven times each, followed by Don't Look Back in Anger.