WWE Stomping Grounds 2019

WeeAl

• Paid Members
Just now, Tommy! said:

Is this capitol punishment revisited?

I'd never seen that show but saw the Punk match on a comp recently and loved the set. Can't have been many non-Mania shows since that didn't have the same bland look.

• Paid Members

It's Bobby Lashley surely? He's Baron's mate, not on the card and I don't think he's feuding with anyone or been ruled out of being the ref on TV yet has he?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Heard a theory that happy go lucky Bray should be the ref, and when its time to do the nasty at the end, the lights go out and the Fiend will be standing there. Although that would mean Baron Corbin would be the WWF champ, so fuck that.

He could always be the happy, friendly guy until after Seth gets the pin, then shit hits the fan afterwards. 

They desperately need some type of big angle. When even your top champion is getting pissy and defensive on Twitter you know it’s bad. I can’t think of a WWE PPV in history that I’ve been less enthused about.

I also fully expect Becky to lose the Raw belt and frankly, at this point, it doesn’t even matter. The Lynch buzz has been dead for ages. She honestly feels like The Miz in the Summer of 2011 now, where weeks after headlining Wrestlemania they’re now so dead in the water that you can’t believe they were ever in that spot in the first place. This Becky Lynch wouldn’t even headline an episode of Raw or Smackdown.

Edited by Supremo

34 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

It's Bobby Lashley surely? He's Baron's mate, not on the card and I don't think he's feuding with anyone or been ruled out of being the ref on TV yet has he?

Just in case anyone was thinking they’d watch this match, the fact that this is almost certainly correct should alter that. 

Yep, totally agree with @Supremo, They might've pivoted for the Mania match but it doesn't feel like they really have any ambition to do much with Lynch. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Raw women's division is built around Alexa by the end of the summer 

I don't see who the special ref's gonna be without it being a hilarious let down. Surely they're not stupid enough to put Brock or Heyman in there? Would love to see Bray, just to spice things up, but it's a bit of a dead spot to debut him. Can't lie, I'd love to see Corbin pick up the win just for the reaction. Seth freakin' stinks.

I'll probably check out the cage match if it gets good reviews. Joe/Ricochet could be worth watching too if their booking doesn't kill it dead.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

3 hours ago, Yakashi said:

This doesn’t look good or bad. It just looks boring. Mind numbingly boring. 

That’s the thing, isn’t it? Everything on the card could be good to great in terms of performance but it’s so hard to give a shit about any of it. And not just this card, but going forward. I don’t even see any signs of “you’re not my real dad, Vince” entitled-fan momentum for anyone in the near future. Possibly ever. Kofi and Becky might have had the last of it, and it turned out that just like letthemwrestle, pushwhowewant hasn’t made WWE great again. So I’m not sure there’s gonna be that incentive to demand that Cesaro or Ali or whoever win the big belts at Mania next year, because even if they do, it fixes nothing and we will be bored of wrestling again within about a fortnight.

• Awards Moderator

Wow, not a single comment since the show aired. 

I've only read the Bleacher Report round up and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed anything. The Raw main event sounded fun, particularly the crowd chants of "A E DUB" which must have driven Vince bonkers. However nothing happened that drives any stories forward bar Ricochet winning the US title. Ho-hum. 

From watching a couple of highlights on YouTube, it just looked like any wwe tv show. Maybe an age thing, but growing up ppvs felt like something special. For those watching regular, does anything about the Sunday shows feel any different these days?

To be fair, I don't think anyone was going to stay up and watch it, so no surprise there's no comments.

The Cruiserweight match was decent as always and I'm a big Gulak fan so glad to see him get a deserved run with the belt. Just wish people were given a reason to care, which is generally a thread that runs through most of the wrestling in WWE these days.

Crowd were decent enough for stuff they were interested in. Nice to hear Becky get a solid reaction when she's not exactly been given much lately, although this stuff with Seth could kill them both off if it's overdone.. which going by this PPV it absolutely will be soon.
Owens/Zayn vs New Day and Kofi/Ziggler were both fine for what they were. I did like the cage match ending for a guy that is so well known for trying to keep off the floor in Rumble matches.

Enjoyed the Joe/Ricochet match as expected, booked well as a big man/little man deal, although if you're not familiar with Ricochet there's not much reason to get behind him as an underdog other than 'ooh pretty moves'. I hope they give him a little more depth but it's unlikely. Anyway the thought of him vs AJ or even a triple threat with Joe is exciting enough for me.

Heavy Machinery made the most of their opportunity I thought and showed a lot. Daniel Bryan seemed to be having a lot of fun out there and not exactly heeling it up.

Bayley/Alexa was pretty pointless and I wish they'd just get on with Bliss turning on Nikki. Her 365 looks really good though. Those shows are where the Network really excels.

Roman/Drew? Yeah that was the worst possible outcome. One week they're trying to make Drew look like a killer and the next he can't even beat Roman with Shane's help. And we don't even get the mercy of the feud ending because we get a 2 on 1 on Raw. Thrilling.

Main event was what it was. It was always going to be an overbooked mess and wasn't going to go down well with ANY crowd, let alone a half sold one. Just glad Corbin didn't win to be honest, although it makes me sad that we're in a position where that was even a possibility in my mind.