All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, neil said:

Fucking hell, look at that thing. Does it even work? Looks like it has a gap where you could crawl in and actually use it as a shelter.

I think it was specifically installed to drive away a homeless couple who'd been sleeping there in the previous couple of months. They didn't return to that spot, so I guess the Tories won 🤷‍♂️.

While Hull itself has been labour for decades, it’s still got a very Tory approach to the homeless issue similar to what has been posted.

We had a massive BHS in the Town Centre that closed down 4 maybe 5 years ago now. It’s a massive building which used to have the Skyline Ballroom, which played host to Jimi Hendrix back in the day, above the store itself. 
When the store closed, a lot of the homeless would take shelter underneath the large canopy that covered the main entrance.

2DRIQGh.jpg

Then some people complained, what with Hull city centre being a spot of natural beauty and all, and this happened.

MS7xtWj.jpg

That was 3 years ago. I rarely go in town anymore, but to the best of my knowledge it’s still like that and no sign of the building being used for anything, such as maybe being converted into, let’s say, a homeless shelter.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

On the Tory front, I did once get informed by the leader of a local homeless charity that the police used to round up homeless people from the high profile Tory constituency and dump them in the neighbouring Labour constituency despite them being under the same council. 

I live in a pretty affluent town, so homelessness in the actual town itself is a pretty rare sight (but travel just a few miles to other towns and it is pretty prevalent, as per usual, Kingston being particularly bad)

So when a rough sleeper gets spotted in the town itself, the local Facebook pages are full and full of posts about it. Most people do want to help, but you can guarantee that you get a handful of "Don't give them money! You're better off giving them food" knobs. 

I got kicked off our local group for stating that I will give them money and they can spend it on what the fuck they like, as I'm not policing someones situation, and pointing out that when you say "THEY just spend it all on drugs and alcohol" you are generalising a lot of people and it is offensive.

There was one guy who persistently sat outside Waitrose in town ("Cos that's where he knows he'll get more!!!!" No shit, Sherlock. I mean, good for him) and there were numerous reports of him being rude/aggressive to people, and "how dare he in that position".

Well, quite. How dare he be emotional and angry at finding himself sleeping rough and in a shite situation, and didn't take the time to be as courteous as you would have liked them to be in your utopia. 

I spoke to him one day, had a good chat with him, mentioned I used to work pub sec and could get someone in contact, and he said he was well aware of the services locally and that he was in touch with them. Fair enough.

I imagine what was happening is the usual 'trying too hard' crowd were just giving him stuff without asking.

During my time volunteering with Shelter, I've always been taught that if you see someone sleeping rough/asking for help, it is best to find out what they need or want rather than just assuming what they need.

Could be the smallest thing. Most times it is a hot drink and a chat, just to feel human again, but just because they're in a shit situation, it doesn't mean they have to just take what they're given. One guy that was at the shelter was fed up with people just bringing him tea and coffee as he was lactose intolerant meaning he used to have refuse it and look bad.

Anyway, fuck anti-rough sleeping measures, fuck not tackling the root causes of homelessness and turn the O2 into a massive house x

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Chili said:

I assume they think he just goes off to his nice house with his coffee cup of coppers and silvers when the day is done. Like what my Nan would say to me when I approached homeless people as a kid. Look, he's even wearing nice trainers.

I don't think I've ever lived anywhere that hasn't had a story of some homeless guy - either a specific individual, or someone imagined - that's actually a rich bloke with a big house, who's grifting people out of money, then getting into his flash car and driving home. My Dad used to say it about someone in Hull all the time, but I've heard it from people in different places all over the country. 
EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, as I've just realised I left this point here, I believe they're all bollocks, not that there are people actually doing this up and down the country!

There's also the point that homelessness isn't just rough sleepers - I live somewhere affluent, with very little visible homelessness on the streets. But the shelter is stretched to breaking point, and food banks are struggling, especially at the moment. We recently ran a report on what percentage of students at our college are functionally homeless, and some colleagues just flat out refused to believe it, because it didn't match their idea of what homelessness "should" look like. And even accounting for the fact that we engage with mental health charities and children's services on these issues, and are geared toward widening participation in general, I would have to assume that for every student we are able to pick up, there must be two or three that aren't able to access the relevant services to cross our radar, so that's a significant number of 16-18 year olds in an ostensibly safe and wealthy locale that are homeless and essentially invisible to anyone in a position to help them. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

My MP has one of the safest seats going (Beverly & Holderness) and just goes with whatever the PM  at the time wants because he has it easy

he's the fella who managed to increase his share of the vote, despite not turning up his constituency once during the entire election, right?