All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

The Tories have fucked up the education system further and the revelation that countless students have had their grades decided by an algorithm, hereby excluding teacher assessment and further undermining the role of professional judgement, cements them as the mightiest cunts of the highest order. I've had students go from predicted A, A and A* receive B, B, C and this is unacceptable. That dirty stinking cunt Gove removed coursework in his attempt at reform and this has caused more grief in the current climate as students have little to measure against when receiving a grade. That snivelling education secretary has also admitted that some high-attaining students will receive a lower grade based on their school is a fucking travesty and I think he'll be for the chop soon. 

They're unapologetic, filthy and destructive. Fuck the Tory party and may all of their bowel movements be cacti. 

A pack of cunts to the highest order.

Fuck knows what'll happen with GCSE results next week. One thing I know is that it won't be a Tory problem, it'll be blamed on covid, the schools or students themselves.

Cunts.

28 minutes ago, Wideload90 said:

That dirty stinking cunt Gove removed coursework in his attempt at reform and this has caused more grief in the current climate as students have little to measure against when receiving a grade.

I had no idea this had happened. Why the fuck this country insists on reciting knowledge in an unforgiving exam environment instead of properly-weighted course- and group-work throughout the year is beyond me. Just lazy but somehow rigid dedication to an outdated, archaic system. Oh, wait...

• Paid Members

It's going to fucking suck next Thursday. My school is traditionally low performing, although we have slowly been improving, and this year's cohort were the strongest I've seen in 4 years of being there, but obviously I am now sure that they're going to be downgraded. It's not fair on the kids - particularly if they decide to use mock exams (which they clearly haven't and are just talking bullshit) - we did our mocks in February - obviously kids would've improved in the 3/4 months of teaching that they would've got. 

MPs and the media have no idea what it's actually like to live in the real world do they? 

While it didn't happen to have any effect on my life, it's still always irked me that two years of consistent A grades in GCSE History turned into a B in the exam because I ran out of time, having wasted some of it answering a question I wasn't supposed to. You know the ones: "Answer question i or ii from Section 1 and question iii or iv from Section 2," etc.

No reflection on my knowledge of the subject, just my ability to follow meta directions under pressure. My teacher must've been gobsmacked. Still, at least the poor woman's probably dead by now.

Focussing purely on exam results misses the entire point of a good education system, which is the development of cognitive skills with the subjects themselves as mere vehicles for doing so. With so much automation these days, and with that only going to increase, teamwork and collaboration, planning, interrogation of information, and presentational skills are all as important if not more so than processing or outputting the data itself, which is the only thing exams are good for. Even for essay questions, you're still asking students to draw from the information they've retained over the last year(s).

I got by in school by working out the bare minimum I needed to do to get As in each subject (humble-brag, I know), so when it came to the exams, I just rattled off the bullet-points I'd built up. It was pointless. When I went to uni to study something I was actually interested in, I essentially had to waste at least the first year building up the necessary critical and communication skills to THEN begin making progress and learning proper.

At the very least, we should be looking into alternative methods of assessment for different skillsets and different students. It seems like year-on-year, we hear the same stories of broken teenagers stressed out by exams both by the process itself and by it being constantly hammered home that basically if you cock this up, all the rest of the work you've done is for fuck-all, and that's IT, you're DONE for LIFE. Which, as anyone here knows, is utter bullshit. My heart breaks for youngsters at the moment. I cannot believe this government insists on giving the next generations as few options as possible. Then again, our parents can just pay our way into university, right? Right?

30 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Plays well with the Mail and Telegraph though and depressingly that's all that seems to matter at the moment.

And they’re usually “Exams are too easy” types so will welcome mass failings. 

• Paid Members

If all my GCSEs and A-Levels had been exam only I would have smashed it because the information was there, but as soon as I was out of that academic environment I had no inclination to do any coursework, as a result it was either not turned in, or some hastily cobbled together token effort done under duress. Looking back it was probably an Autism thing. 

• Paid Members
Just now, johnnyboy said:

That's this specific catastrofuck rather than the policy of replacing blended assessments with wholesale exams.  They wanked themselves dry over exams getting too easy and grade inflation - was going to link to articles, but forget giving them traffic.

Agreed. It just makes me smile whenever that shithouse of a paper calls out the twats we have in power, the ones they helped elect