All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm going to count the Mail on Sunday as Tories just to point out that tomorrow's edition has a story about Keir Starmer, namely that he bought a field behind his mum's house so she had somewhere to put the donkeys she'd rescued and now he's selling the house (but not the field) because she's dead, and if he wanted to sell the field (which he doesn't) and if the people who bought the field built houses (which they can't because it's green belt) you could sell the houses for £10 million, yet he claims to be left wing, and when you write it out like that, it kind of sounds like a bit of a stretch of a story.

Unsure of where to put this, but I figured this thread was as good as any.

Regarding the new Immigration Bill that has been in the spotlight recently, does this apply to current immigrants working who earn less than 25k or just new applicants?

Is there an amnesty on those who already work here?

Many thanks.

It's for immigration post Brexit.

EU nationals need to sign up for the EU Settlement Scheme for that. If you've been here longer than 5 years, you get settled status. Less than 5 years you get pre-settled status and then once you reach 5 years, you can apply for settled status.

• Paid Members

It also costs about 4 grand if you are a non-EU national, even if you've been working here. There was a tweet doing the rounds by a nurse who said she is going back to Oz because the sheer amount of money she was going to have to pay:

• Paid Members

Can't help but think they should be underlining "free" instead of "ending" there. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

It'd probably save a lot of time to just post the liaison committee stream in here.

The Liaison Committee. Hope it goes past the pilot stage. Would be a great new show to binge over the summer 

• Paid Members

I received an unauthorised biography of Jacob Rees Mogg as a Christmas present. I suppose there wasn't any chance of it being an inadvertent duplicate so, on that basis, it wasn't the worst choice. It's entirely credible: the author is Lord Ashcroft, so nobody with an axe to grind, and the book is meticulously sourced.

Rees-Mogg is pretty much what you'd expect: privileged, though not wealthy, background: Eton; a gap year spent in the offices of friends of his father's, including Rothschild Investment Management; Oxford; straight into a job as an analyst with Rothschild Investment Management; marries an heiress; earns an average £2m a year, decides that's not enough, so starts his own firm and earns plenty more.

What really jumped out at me, though, and the reason for posting is the exposure of how people like him get more or less automatic entry to Oxford, a university whose name grants opportunities to alumni throughout their lives which others don't. Attlee, Eden, Macmillan, Douglas-Home, Wilson, Heath, Thatcher, Blair, Cameron, May, Johnson ... all post-War PMs who went to Oxford. We're told that it's for the best brains, and if it ever deigns to accept applicants from state schools then they have to boast academic records which show that they are at the highest level. But it appears that this isn't the case if you went to Eton:

rees-mogg-e-grades.thumb.jpg.02cd844642c591c0236e66b479b51636.jpg

I think you get an 'E' grade if you manage to spell your name correctly.

I've long known with the likes of Johnson and some other prize prats I've met that educated ≠ intelligent but this really is blatant, isn't it?

(Rees-Mogg got a 2:1, by the way.)

Edit: TIL that this is nothing special at all.

It transpires that Oxford had its own special entrance exam until around 1996-97 which was open to all. Once you'd passed that and the subsequent interview, you were accepted anyway but formalities were such that there would have to be a formal offer. Two 'e' grades was the minimum permitted by UCAS, hence being quoted routinely, to people from all backgrounds.

It might have been useful if the author had explained that rather than assumed we were all familiar with the workings of Oxford when we were children. Eh, he's a Tory ... 

Edited by Ronnie

• Paid Members

What do you think is the more thankless task - being a Conservative MP or working for their publicity/social media teams? Why would you even take on such a job in the first place? You'd take more pelters each day than working for a train operater's social feeds. You've got to be a new level of masochist to subdue yourself to that on a daily basis. Mind you they aren't helping themselves with some the the utter bollocks that's being pumped out on their respective MP's feeds.

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

@Ronnie I saw that exact picture on Twitter. I assume it’s from you!

Yes, I was the one with the rapid trigger finger and the quick retraction.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I want to follow Ronnie on Twitter!

Oh, there's nothing interesting there. Boring. I'll follow you in a minute so you know which account it is.

Yeah, that was the system.  

Oxford Entrance is the exam, which I took in the autumn before A-Levels.  You apply to a particular college and if you do well in the exam they get first dibs at you.  I spent a year preparing for it on top of normal school work.

So I did well in the exam (got a question on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight which I’d just read in Middle English), interviewed at my first choice but didn’t get the place.  I then went into the pool for other colleges to look at.  Interviewed at two more colleges, and got a 2E offer from the third one.

At that point it was nice to have a bit of pressure off the actual A-Levels!