All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JNLister said:

* Refuse to follow the law and see what people do about it

It'll be this. The story of politics in the last few years is of people realising that the "rules" are just a gentlemen's agreement and that you can break them more or less without consequence.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Makes sense. Take advantage of the state of the government's no majority. What's the situation with the DUP at the moment? You've got to think they'd be tempted to stick the boot in a bit more, especially if there's going to be shenanigans with regards to the border. 

They still have a confidence and supply deal, but the terms are due to be "revisited" when a new session of Parliament starts. That's probably not going to happen and even if it does, there's no real incentive for the Tories to do a big negotiation with them given DUP doesn't get them a majority any more and this parliament is probably ending in November at the absolute latest.

• Paid Members

One thing I've not really been able to understand is how the DUP have been able to get and keep so many Westminster seats in NI, given their Brexit stance in defiance of their constituents. I know there's that whole "they're not Republicans" thing going on, but you'd have thought that perhaps the Alliance might have got somewhere?

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

One thing I've not really been able to understand is how the DUP have been able to get and keep so many Westminster seats in NI, given their Brexit stance in defiance of their constituents. I know there's that whole "they're not Republicans" thing going on, but you'd have thought that perhaps the Alliance might have got somewhere?

I think it was on Newsnight, but there was a clip of a group of DUP voters bemoaning the fact that DUP had done absolutely nothing for them and they were outraged at their lack of doing what they're paid to do.  When asked if they will vote for them again next time, they all said yes because it was their side of the fence.  Likewise, shinners will always vote for their side too.  Still, I'm sure removing the backstop, cancelling the GFA and putting up borders again won't lead to any bother.

• Paid Members

Nice non-partisan explanation of the no-no-deal bill from the House of Commons Library: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/brexit/negotiations/the-benn-burt-bill-another-article-50-extension/

Basically the law says:

* PM must have asked for the extension by October 19 unless MPs vote to accept a deal or approve no-deal. That won't happen before an election and there's no time after an election to get back into Parliament.

* If EU offers a date other than January 31, PM can say "fuck it, it's all off and we're leaving as planned" unless MPs vote within 2 days to say otherwise. That can't happen if Parliament isn't sitting.

* If EU agrees the January 31 date, the only way PM can withdraw or change the request is if MPs vote to accept a deal or approve no-deal. 

So if the bill passes and Johnson wins complies with it, the request has to go in. The only way he can then get out is if the EU don't accept January 31, or if he can either repeal the bill or get a vote to withdraw the extension request between the 19th and 31st October. Either of those options is tricky given it normally takes up to two weeks after an election to start a new session with a Queen's Speech, which normally has six Parliamentary days of debate. 

• Paid Members

So some Labour backbenchers who want Brexit with a deal just put forward an amendment that pretty much says the PM has to not only ask for an extension but to say it is so we can have another go at passing May's deal. Nobody expected it to pass.

Except it did because nobody stepped forward to count the votes against and it won by default.

It appears to be Tory cuntistry because the government would be the ones to put forward the tellers (who count the votes) and didn't. Theory is they just want to waste more time while people decide whether to take the amendment out in the Lords, which would mean you need another day in the Commons to approve the change.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, JNLister said:

Reportedly Labour have now decided they won't back an election until not only has the no-no-deal bill been passed and become law (likely next week) but until it's actually carried out (ie we've hit October 19 and Johnson's either passed a deal or asked for an extension.)

If they stick to that, Johnson's options become:

* Pass a no-confidence motion in his own government

* Write a one-line law to override the Fixed Term Parliament Act and call an election for a set date (only needs a simple majority, though this law would probably be amended)

* Get a deal (lol)

* Ask for an extension and get fucked by the Brexit Party in the election

* Refuse to follow the law and see what people do about it

SNP, contrary to some expectations, are refusing to back an election. Given how many of the independents/former Tories are probably not coming back, that probably rules out a simply majority for an early election, which rules out the no-confidence motion and one-line law options.

• Paid Members

I truly believe if Andy Burnham was Labour leader, we'd have a Labour Government by now. 

I'm a believer of Corbyn's motivations and ideology, I'm a believer of the man, I am at that point now where the realisation is the public (ugh I hate them) won't vote for him. To rid us of this Tory cuntery, something has to give, and sadly I now think Corbyn should do what's right for the country. 

Edited by Teedy Kay

I felt quite bad for Ken Clarke tonight. I know he's a Tory and they're cunts as per the thread title, but he comes across to me as a guy with integrity who is genuinely sad that Johnson and co. are dragging the party towards a far more right wing ideology than they've ever had in his 5 decades in parliament. 

On the Tory cunt scale Clarke is way towards the lowest point for me.