All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

Look up what ''neoliberal'' means, and then maybe read a book. 

What a non answer. 'read a book' is also a shit response. Read what book? Lucky Jim? Neoliberals For Dummies? Chris Moyles autobiography?

Also 'neoliberal' is now a term thrown around mainly by people who don't know what it means but 'read a book'

Just now, BomberPat said:

Enlighten me. How does a democracy work?

I know how ''democracy'' has worked since the referendum, and that is that the entire system has worked to promote the most chaotic atmosphere possible in order to undermine and undercut 17 million people. This was all planned from the beginning, it's the UK's own version of the Muller investigation, in that it's completely exhausted people to the point where no-one want's to deal with it anymore. And judging from the polls, the British people would vote to stay in the EU given a second Brexit. And that is exactly how ''democracy'' manifests. When the public vote the incorrect way, they are punished entirely by the system, and are trained in the most Pavlovian of ways to never make that mistake again. That is democracy. And that's why even if Boris can pull off some kind of Brexit, it will be very much submerged in the same neoliberal goo that it always has been, and all the concerns Brexiters had will be ignored never to be heard of again.

1 minute ago, Factotum said:

What a non answer. 'read a book' is also a shit response. Read what book? Lucky Jim? Neoliberals For Dummies? Chris Moyles autobiography?

Also 'neoliberal' is now a term thrown around mainly by people who don't know what it means but 'read a book'

I have a handful of books I can recommend, it's not my fault he made a twat out of himself and didn't know what the word meant. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Richard said:

I know how ''democracy'' has worked since the referendum, and that is that the entire system has worked to promote the most chaotic atmosphere possible in order to undermine and undercut 17 million people. This was all planned from the beginning, it's the UK's own version of the Muller investigation, in that it's completely exhausted people to the point where no-one want's to deal with it anymore. And judging from the polls, the British people would vote to stay in the EU given a second Brexit. And that is exactly how ''democracy'' manifests. When the public vote the incorrect way, they are punished entirely by the system, and are trained in the most Pavlovian of ways to never make that mistake again. That is democracy. And that's why even if Boris can pull off some kind of Brexit, it will be very much submerged in the same neoliberal goo that it always has been, and all the concerns Brexiters had will be ignored never to be heard of again.

And what are those concerns? Can you speak for the "concerns" of 17 million people, all voting for their own, individual reasons?

Do you not think that the reason that "the system" has been chaotic since the referendum is because trying to produce a Brexit that is all things to all men is absolutely impossible, that it's pitting conflicting interest groups against each other, and that it's constitutionally, politically and administratively, one of the most extraordinarily complex situations a country could possibly place themselves in, and that reducing it to a simple binary choice is reductionist to the point of absurdity?

And if you take away your scare quotes from democracy, given that your point on polls showing that Britain would vote to Remain if a referendum were held again, it's clear that your point isn't about the public being punished in some oblique way you can't specify for voting the "wrong" way, it's that you're pissed off that, in the case of another referendum, they might vote the way you don't like. 

The notion that a second referendum would be undemocratic is preposterous. If a first referendum was democratic, it doesn't become less democratic by adding more democracy on top of it. Democracy doesn't begin and end at the ballot box. Democracy isn't a zero sum game of "we won, you lost, get over it", it is a constant living process of negotiation, of representation, of protest. The idea that you, or anyone, can suggest that, "people voted for one outcome, under one set of circumstances, and on one date, so our entire political system should now be dedicated to delivering one interpretation of that result, with neither the public or their elected officials having any further say" is preposterous and profoundly undemocratic.

Edited by BomberPat

I think this is the plan.

Parliamentary session ends before  the opposition can bring down the government.

Boris strikes a deal with EU, presents it to new Parliament with days to go.  They can either vote the deal through or accept No Deal.

Parliament bends the knee, a deal is ratified, Boris calls an election and is returned by a grateful nation to rule a thousand years.

Now it's a cunning plan but there are just a FEW places it could go wrong...

Close Loki.

Boris's Great Plan

1. Continue to present myself as a bumbling idiot to the populace (put feet on table)

2. Throw money at services, NHS, police

3. Ask Queenie to prorogue (she can't refuse)

4. Back the EU into a corner re: Ireland and the backstop

5. Go trick or treating

6. Eat all the chocolate then call an election November 1st.