All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

I'm fairly confident at this point that a 'Tory party under Boris will do far better in a General Election than they ever did under Theresa May. In fact, I'd fully expect him to be in his element and to do very well.

If anything it could spell the end for Corbyn.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, David said:

I'm fairly confident at this point that a 'Tory party under Boris will do far better in a General Election than they ever did under Theresa May. In fact, I'd fully expect him to be in his element and to do very well.

If anything it could spell the end for Corbyn.

Completely agree that Boris will do much better than May. Johnson does well whilst campaigning & in front of a live audience where May was awful. Johnson appeals to older Brits which is crucial, especially given young Brits don't vote. Which in itself is fucking depressing.

I think this is the most dejected I've been with politics in a long time.

The only positive that can be taken from it is that this might just be the straw that breaks the camel (clutch)'s back.

It may take something like a Boris win in a General Election to prompt younger voters (many of whom will be no longer teenagers, but young adults with more adult concerns) to actually start engaging with the process. 

Time will tell I guess, but it's really down to the people.

It depends. I think people think he's a lot more popular than he is. The only reason he's riding a wave is people think he's going to deliver Brexit. Failure to do that and he's utterly finished by November. Crash out with No Deal, you'll see Tory rebels going mad. Could lead to defections. Labour has a real chance if it can get its act together, say its the Party of a second referendum based on two options and say it will strongly back Remaining. Otherwise the Lib Dems are going to seriously hamper Labour, rather than help them to No.10. Basically, Corbyn needs to piss off now and let a Starmer take power. I admire Corbyn in a lot of ways, but he's not up for this.

• Paid Members

I personally would prefer Clive Lewis, David Lammy or Angela Rayner - Starmer's OK, but he's a bit bland. Lammy and Rayner have shown they can give it a bit with the talking, and Lewis is difficult to attack on the usual fronts that the right-wing usually resort to (like patriotism, etc.).

I think the issue is none of them three would win an election bar maybe Rayner. I like Lewis a lot but it would be seen as another Corbynite. Lammy is good on Twitter but an utter shit local MP (I've lived in his constituency) Also his appeal is to those who agree with him only. You need someone to go after middle England remain voters. Starmer is bland, and that's exactly why he's the right man for it. Also Cooper is a good shout.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I personally would prefer Clive Lewis, David Lammy or Angela Rayner - Starmer's OK, but he's a bit bland. Lammy and Rayner have shown they can give it a bit with the talking, and Lewis is difficult to attack on the usual fronts that the right-wing usually resort to (like patriotism, etc.).

I think Starmer is a good fit for right now. A Starmer/Lammy package would be my ideal pick. I think Starmer might not be the most 'charismatic' leader but up against the blustering populism of Johnson & Farage his strengths as a QC allow him to cut through their bullshit with forensic detail which lots of people seem to be screaming for. He's very good in front of the TV cameras too.

It's like Game of Thrones. Boris and his crew of unpalatable cunts are Cersei, vowing to crush Jeremy Corbyn despite the impending doom that lurks ever closer. In this metaphor, Corbyn is Daenerys Targaryen, the once beloved dark horse who everyone has just got a little too fed up with and wants to fuck off. Call it X-Pac heat, if you will. Meanwhile, the incoming shadow of Brexit and all its consequences are the Night King and the White Walkers, surely set up to fuck up everything in the land beyond all recognition.

In this scenario, hopefully the real life nadir is as anti-climatic as the ending of GoT, with the goodies winning and things continuing on pretty happily from there. Who are the goodies though? 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I think the issue is none of them three would win an election bar maybe Rayner. I like Lewis a lot but it would be seen as another Corbynite. Lammy is good on Twitter but an utter shit local MP (I've lived in his constituency) Also his appeal is to those who agree with him only. You need someone to go after middle England remain voters. Starmer is bland, and that's exactly why he's the right man for it. Also Cooper is a good shout.

I've no problem with another Corbynite. I want someone with his politics (actually would prefer someone even more lefty, but I'll take what's available), but less the historical baggage, less the dithering and lack of tactical knowhow, and with a bit more savvy.

Lammy's my MP, and I agree he's not really much cop as a constituency guy, especially in comparison to his predecessor, the great Bernie Grant. I hated him for a long time for being a toeing-the-line, Blairite sell-out, but I think he's cottoned on in the wake of Windrush and the Hostile Environment that he hasn't "made it" like the boom period made him think he and BME people had, and that there's still a fight to be had out there. I don't 100% trust him still, but he's shown a lot more in the past couple of years than I gave him credit for.

6 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I think Starmer is a good fit for right now. A Starmer/Lammy package would be my ideal pick. I think Starmer might not be the most 'charismatic' leader but up against the blustering populism of Johnson & Farage his strengths as a QC allow him to cut through their bullshit with forensic detail which lots of people seem to be screaming for. He's very good in front of the TV cameras too.

I agree that's a strength for Starmer, but bear in mind Lammy is also a trained lawyer as well, and probably a better speaker.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Lammy's my MP, and I agree he's not really much cop as a constituency guy, especially in comparison to his predecessor, the great Bernie Grant. I hated him for a long time for being a toeing-the-line, Blairite sell-out, but I think he's cottoned on in the wake of Windrush and the Hostile Environment that he hasn't "made it" like the boom period made him think he and BME people had, and that there's still a fight to be had out there. I don't 100% trust him still, but he's shown a lot more in the past couple of years than I gave him credit for.

I really like David Lammy, his interview on James O Brien's podcast & his speech during the Brexit debates really made me warm to him. Deffo worth checking out that podcast. Currently listening to Rory Stewart on the same podcast which is also really interesting & recommended.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Surely being in the top job will be enough to finally see his ineptitude exposed to the nation. The bumbling oaf act will wear pretty thin pretty quickly when actual shit needs doing. 

Problem is he's not actually bumbling when it comes to doing things - we all know about the persona he presents and the fact that it's a calculated, insidious tactic to get him in under the radar, but it does also extend to when he's on the job.

He's scarily good at getting what he wants done, which is usually something corrupt, iniquitous, and not in the interests of the people he's supposed to be serving. During his time as mayor of London, he engaged in various machinations to sell off chunks of London to his developer buddies, including previously-protected or valued properties/grounds/areas.

Essentially, he's horribly skilled at corruption, and supported by an equally-corrupt network of the Old School Tie and Oxford alumni. The quintessential spawn of the establishment.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I think people think he's a lot more popular than he is.

It's this kind of thought process that has seen the likes of Boris get to where they are. I recall saying in the Brexit thread that I believed he'd win this leadership contest, and many dismissed the idea out of hand, claiming he wouldn't be allowed to get near the hotseat and so on. We're basically sleep walking through all of this with our heads in the sand, trying to convince ourselves that things aren't quite as bad as they seem, that the public isn't really going to vote for someone like that.

Well, we're wrong. We've been wrong more often than not for the past few years. Everyone laughed when Trump was running for President. He has silly hair, can't string a coherent sentence together and has been hit by every scandal known to man. He'll never get the nod, right? Everyone laughed when the EU referendum was in full swing and there were inarticulate types being shown on the news, telling us how they wanted "their" country back and an end to unchecked immigration while Nige was pledging unrealistic funds to the NHS and other nonsense. No one would really go for that outside of the morons and the fringe racists, right? The common good will prevail and sense will see us through, of course.

We can also try to play down the success of Farage and his party which was cobbled together a few months before the EU elections. Those who voted for that party were essentially voting for one person. It was a vote for Farage, not a vote for a party or a local MEP candidate. The actual vehicle of the party and other members mattered not a fucking jot, it could have been called anything, and he could have run with a bunch of mannequins wearing suits and wigs in each of the regions and still got the votes he did.

His success against parties who are dyed-in-the-wool British establishment entities, all with track records, with real candidates who mostly know the political game was fucking disturbing. Playing down his success by looking at how those established parties did combined doesn't really provide any comfort for me. I'm still quite concerned about how well he did.

As for the other names being mentioned as challengers for the Labour leadership, most of them would be a good fit. 10 years ago. 

This isn't the same game anymore. I would pretty much place my entire life savings on a Tory party led by Boris winning a majority in a general election against Labour led by any of the current candidates mentioned. He could be accused of fondling himself in front of a busload of nuns and still get the nod. 

Once he takes to the stage in a Channel 4 debate and responds to a well though-out, reasoned and intelligent argument from the Labour leader by ruffling his hair, muttering "golly gosh" as he pretends to forget where he actually is, and begins spouting about how Britain was once great and how Churchill would be "rather miffed" at how things are it won't matter what the other contestants have said (which is what they are, by the way. Contestants in a game show. All those debates are missing is Jim Bowen as host) because it's all about the personalities involved. 

There is absolutely no one I can think of who'll even come close in beating this guy in an election. And I know, this isn't a Presidential style election, but it may as well be, because people are voting for the personality who leads the party. The MP's are extras in this whole thing.

The game has changed, but there's still a lot of people who think the old rules apply.