All Tories Are Cunts thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

And a court has found Michael Gove acted unlawfully in giving a half a mill contract to mates. I look forward to absolutely fuck all happening in the way of consequences. 

Not necessarily.

If enough of us demand a public enquiry, they can do fuck all about that on top.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

A little ray of light in the never ending tory cunt tornado overnight. Nice to see a 16000 tory majority overturned in the Chesham and Amersham by-election. 

And he’s taking it with about as much grace as you would expect

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

It's Chesham & Amersham, though. A Tory town in Buckinghamshire - about as jolly-hockey-sticks, Range Rover-driving, horse-breeding, two-Dalmatian-owning Tory as you can fucking get. That guy really must have been shit to lose that place in this era.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Was there a local concern which affected voting? I don’t mean like having a cunt as a candidate, like a hospital being under threat or something?

I was hearing stuff about HS2. The NIMBY faction is fairly strong there.

EDIT: Seems it was also about greenfield land being cleared for expensive housing developments:

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment/2021/06/16/hs2-and-housebuilding-threaten-to-hurt-the-tories-in-chesham-amersham/

Candy Piercy, who fronts the Liberal Democrats’ campaign headquarters in Amersham, summarised this rural zeitgeist: “The main issues that people are telling us about are… around development… it’s not just about HS2. What is getting people really riled up is developers being given free reign across Bucks to build houses… people don’t feel that they have a say about how their area is developed.”

“If it was affordable housing, we would welcome it, and Sarah [Green, the Liberal Democrat candidate] wants to see the kind of housing that young people can afford.” Central government’s proclivity towards building expensive “commuter” housing is symptomatic of the government’s long held, urban-centric tendencies, and it’s clear the rural electorate are becoming disillusioned.

Piercy’s affirmations about development accurately reflects the public sentiments that I witnessed: concerns around the government’s recent changes to the planning permission laws were common. One woman told me that new housing needed to be cheap and accessible; “we’re lucky here, [newbuild housing] should be for the people that can’t afford to live anywhere else.”

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I was hearing stuff about HS2. The NIMBY faction is fairly strong there.

I've seen people saying similar, but also people questioning why, if this is the case, it stayed Tory in 2019. I've seen someone on Twitter suggesting that, due to the pandemic, a lot of younger people have moved out to the area from Central London (since they no longer have to commute as much), to the point where the demographic has shifted down somewhat.

A combination of that, NIMBYism and dislike of Johnson, has led to 'get the tories out' tactical voting, by the looks of things, with Labour being ignored because they never play ball with that. It's really interesting to see - Labour not going into a broad coalition at this point is likely to cost them dearly.