AEW: All Out

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

One thing about 'wins and losses matter' - it can mean a lot in storytelling as well. Losses can matter in far more ways than just audience perception. How many times have we been frustrated by Cena or Roman Reigns coming out after being screwed out of a title, and effectively shrugging their shoulders and moving onto feuding with someone else (or the typical 'rematch clause' storyline)?

Let's say Kenny loses - the important thing is that it matters to him as a character. That he's been brought in as the ace of AEW, and he's lost to someone he hates and then to the new exciting star. That loss can eat away at him until he gets an opportunity to redeem himself. For me, that's the kind of story Kenny Omega could excel at - six months down the line, getting big rematches, acknowledging that he underestimated Jericho, but this time? This time, he's got his number. And once he's done with that, he's coming for Moxley.

It's one thing I think NJPW has got totally right - playing on the history and knowing why the matches matter to wrestlers. Wins and losses aren't just about rankings. Wins and losses need to matter in storytelling, and they haven't for a long time in WWE.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Hitman?

Yeah, but "Hitman" implies that he needs to be skillful to eliminate a dangerous, still-active opponent. "Hangman", to me, implies somebody who just executes someone who's already been beaten and restrained. It's also why "Executioner" strikes me as a heel name too.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I see nothing inherently wrong with Hangman winning the championship. Hot babyface on top fending off challengers fits in with this 'sports presentation' that they're after.

Hot in what sense? Is he? I guess my only problem with him winning is that I'd almost like to see a bigger journey before getting there, so it feels more of an accomplishment. As an outsider I don't know him too well and I'm not overly familiar with why he'd deserve to be the face of the company. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Vamp said:

How do you know he isn't just obsessed with the game? 

He comes out with a rope. He's clearly obsessed with Cluedo.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Hot in what sense? Is he? I guess my only problem with him winning is that I'd almost like to see a bigger journey before getting there, so it feels more of an accomplishment. As an outsider I don't know him too well and I'm not overly familiar with why he'd deserve to be the face of the company. 

He's over with the live crowd, and that enthusiasm should pour through the TV and make a casual viewer think, "Bloody hell, he must be good to be getting this reception". Then you solidify that viewpoint with solid title defenses, interviews, angles, segments and feuds.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

One thing about 'wins and losses matter' - it can mean a lot in storytelling as well. Losses can matter in far more ways than just audience perception. How many times have we been frustrated by Cena or Roman Reigns coming out after being screwed out of a title, and effectively shrugging their shoulders and moving onto feuding with someone else (or the typical 'rematch clause' storyline)?

Let's say Kenny loses - the important thing is that it matters to him as a character. That he's been brought in as the ace of AEW, and he's lost to someone he hates and then to the new exciting star. That loss can eat away at him until he gets an opportunity to redeem himself. For me, that's the kind of story Kenny Omega could excel at - six months down the line, getting big rematches, acknowledging that he underestimated Jericho, but this time? This time, he's got his number. And once he's done with that, he's coming for Moxley.

It's one thing I think NJPW has got totally right - playing on the history and knowing why the matches matter to wrestlers. Wins and losses aren't just about rankings. Wins and losses need to matter in storytelling, and they haven't for a long time in WWE.

You're absolutely right and the first paragraph is 100% spot on. And if this was a year down the line, I'd say the second paragraph could be very effective storytelling. But this is a guy relatively unkown to the majority of the US/UK audience and I just don't think he should be losing his first two matches a lot of them ever see him in.

This is the problem when you blow your load on "dream" matches right out of the gate. It's not great for Moxley to lose either. But of the two of them, I think he could sustain the loss if he causes enough aggro on the way. I'd still do a screwy finish to lead to a rematch somewhere down the line.

Moxley isn't at the next event after Fyter Fest because it clashes with a Japan date or something.

Think Omega is competing at both though.

Plus it's likely nobody is watching these two events anyway, they should have had them on TNT in the US as Saturday night specials or something, not on Bleacher Report or whatever it is.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

You're absolutely right and the first paragraph is 100% spot on. And if this was a year down the line, I'd say the second paragraph could be very effective storytelling. But this is a guy relatively unkown to the majority of the US/UK audience and I just don't think he should be losing his first two matches a lot of them ever see him in.

This is the problem when you blow your load on "dream" matches right out of the gate. It's not great for Moxley to lose either. But of the two of them, I think he could sustain the loss if he causes enough aggro on the way. I'd still do a screwy finish to lead to a rematch somewhere down the line.

There aren't any 'dream' matches yet though. Kenny's not known enough to the casual audience, and if there's been a long-time clamouring for an Omega/Moxley match, I've missed it. Out of nowhere, it's one of the most interesting matches you can build up while they're still doing occasional shows, so it may as well be used as something to kick off storylines. That way, they can take their time before revisiting them.

4 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Moxley isn't at the next event after Fyter Fest because it clashes with a Japan date or something.

Think Omega is competing at both though.

Plus it's likely nobody is watching these two events anyway, they should have had them on TNT in the US as Saturday night specials or something, not on Bleacher Report or whatever it is.

Why would nobody be watching? I saw it was available to watch for free so realistically wouldn’t the numbers be higher? Even if it isn’t available to watch they would still use clips for video packages and so forth. Moxely isn’t losing his first AEW match regardless