The cringing cult of celebrity, according to Wikipedia.

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Jim Broadbent for Lincoln which is fair enough, but scattered around in the locality we have some famous and infamous folks. 

Sleaford gives us Jennifer Saunders and Ruskington gives that shining light of noughties lad mag wank fodder Abi Titmus (And a happy new year) 

Both Woodhall Spa and Boston lay claim to Robert Webb, and Horncastle gives us executioner par excellence William Marwood, who invented the method known as the "Long Drop" You would think he was the worst person to come from this neck of the woods but obviously Grantham has Margaret Thatcher so he can rest easy. 

• Paid Members

Alan Kendall who apparently was the lead guitarist from off of out of the Bee Gees is from Darwen, like what I am. 

I also didn't realise that Jon Anderson (not the referee from Gladiators) is from Accrington. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Alan Kendall who apparently was the lead guitarist from off of out of the Bee Gees is from Darwen, like what I am. 

I also didn't realise that Jon Anderson (not the referee from Gladiators) is from Accrington. 

Unless your into prog-rock, I doubt anyone would know who ‘not Gladiators referee’ Jon Anderson is, but ask them who Jon Anderson is and they’ll probably say you can go on their first whistle 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Apparently Ed Sheeran's from Halifax?! As bloody if. I was bought up just between Huddersfield and Mirfield so Pateick Stewart and Harold Wilson are the ones who show up on that map. Lena Heady and Jodie Whittaker are both from Huddersfield, I'm surprised they aren't on there

The last Emperor of Ethiopia once stayed on the hotel on the sea front in my home town. So of course the site claims we're more associated with a different royal from another continent (and one I've never heard of), the Rajah of Sarawak. I'd try to lay a claim to Gabriel Clarke on the basis he once performed in a play at my old school. Years before I was there, mind.

The first village I grew up in gets a 17th-century poet and angler, but Yate and Winterbourne up the road are both linked to J.K. Rowling. Weston-super-Mare almost inevitably gets John Cleese, although there's a memorial to Jill Dando in a park in the town. Clifton gets W.G. Grace, but Bristol as a whole is one of many places associated with Winston Churchill. 

I thought Bridgwater might be linked to Joe Strummer but apparently he spent his later days in a village closer to Taunton, so they get an obscure 19th-century poet and criminal instead. Bradley Wright-Phillips is supposedly connected to the village of Brockley. I saw his nephew play in a Youth Cup tie down the road from there in Kenn just before Christmas.

Eastbourne is lumbered with Theresa May just because she was born there. Ed Balls got married there too, if they ever want to be linked to an awful politician of a different stripe. Bangor gets Aimée 'Duffy' Duffy even though she grew up on the Wirral and then in Pembrokeshire. Brentwood and Redruth get Stephen Moyer and Kristin Scott Thomas respectively, rather than my grandparents.