Football 19/20. A season in which 20 Wrexham youths went to a right wing rally and twatted all the coked up right wing fat fucks in Manchester. UP THE SHAGGING TOWN

PowerButchi

6 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Any more than three subs during 90 minutes makes a game a friendly, and whatever "competition" is being played factually pointless, imho. We want the season voided, not Boydyed!

The more I think about it, the worse it sounds. The time wasting would be unbearable when you have teams making all 5 subs in the last 5 minutes of games. 

On Davies/Motson, I read this in FourFourTwo a few months back and it's an interesting read.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/john-motson-barry-davies-interview-podcast-commentary-rivalry-motd-world-cup-euro-96

Davies does make a good point about Motson being a bit more accessible, and they both seem quite friendly (if a bit passive aggressive a few times), but it's criminal how many more finals Motson got over him.

7 hours ago, Briefcase said:

This probably wouldn't have even helped Spurs back in 2004 (sorry SuperBacon) but there is a proposal for up to 5 subs to be used in a game until the end of the 2021 season to help with fixture congestion what with everything months behind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52443195

Reading the article, I quite like the fact that they're sticking to only three substitution breaks. Means theoretically it shouldn't really slow the game much more than the current situation, they'll just have to make two or three subs at a time if they want to use all five.

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Davies does make a good point about Motson being a bit more accessible, and they both seem quite friendly (if a bit passive aggressive a few times), but it's criminal how many more finals Motson got over him.

I used to like Motson more for that reason, but frankly I was a child and stupid. Looking back now it's clear Davies' craft is just so much more refined.

Edited by Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

The more I think about it, the worse it sounds. The time wasting would be unbearable when you have teams making all 5 subs in the last 5 minutes of games. 

The thing is, who has a squad with the quality of depth required to make it worthwhile? Unless a team are comfortably winning, they're not going to risk taking off 5 players to weaken their side to give some of them a rest if there is still a result to play for. Moving to 5 subs is a massive change that will require a complete squad assessment, like when they upped the subs from 1 to 3. How large were squads back then? For that reason and many others, probably half the side of today's squads.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think so, which makes this knee-jerk solution even more shite. I think down the line there might be value in upping subs if clubs are serious about avoiding fatigue/injuries due to the fixture congestion they love to talk about, but there has to be planning and time before they can introduce it.

The other thing I don't understand is what's the point in doing it in blocks? So they let you make subs on say, 75 minutes, but then what happens if you need to make a sub because of injuries on 77 minutes? Unless I've read it all wrong.

It's pathetic, it all is. Reading today that even a game behind closed doors would mean around 300 people in attendance. I get that it's a business and presumably the TV deals are putting heavy pressure on, but fucking hell, there's a lot of bending backwards and stupid ideas just to get bloody football going again.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

1 to 2 wasn't it first?

Agreed, it's a silly idea, they should bin it.

When 3 subs first came in, one had to be a keeper.

The only good thing about 5 subs is they have to be in three blocks, which will help a bit.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

When 3 subs first came in, one had to be a keeper.

The only good thing about 5 subs is they have to be in three blocks, which will help a bit.

So when it was only 2, one didn't have to be a keeper? 

I reckon all football should be played with no sub keeper. One of the biggest thrills in football is an outfield player going in.

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

One of the biggest thrills in football is an outfield player going in

Agreed. There are so many great instances of this. I'm biased, of course, but my favourite was when Lee Bullen went in goal for Sheffield Wednesday, meaning that over the course of his time at Hillsborough he actually played in all eleven positions on the pitch for the club.

A close second is when, years later, defender/midfielder Sam Hutchinson went in net for the last few minutes of a League Cup game against Chesterfield - although he didn't even have to make a save, the club still used it on their official calendar for 2018:

yruSrWu.jpg 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So when it was only 2, one didn't have to be a keeper? 

I reckon all football should be played with no sub keeper. One of the biggest thrills in football is an outfield player going in.

According to Wiki it was 1 outfield and 1 goalie but that's definitely not right. Remember City having 2 outfielders on the bench and just checked the 87 Cup final line-ups and that had 2 outfielders too.

Love an outfielder in goal. My favourite was when we beat Tranmere in about 2004. Tranmere had two goalies injured in the first half so ex-City player and English footballer's greatest foreign import, Theo Whitmore went in goal. I've no idea why he did because he clearly hated it. We got a pen and he didn't even move. We won 6-1. Poor Theo.

During the 3 subs and 1 must be a keeper phase in 94, we had goalie Alan Fettis making up the bench but he'd hurt his hand. Given our outfield options were awful, he got chucked on against Oxford as a sub and scored. He then started the last game of the season against Blackpool and scored again. It pretty much destroyed the young strikers we had who couldn't get a game ahead of an injured goalie but it was incredible all the same.

• Paid Members

If there's one thing more thrilling than an outfield player in goal, it's a goalie on pitch! Either a goalkeeper marauding forward like a madman (Higuita, Neuer VS South Korea) or David James going up top.

CWAwF9UW4AAqHXg.jpg.a3e8aed16fcb5a099c5524cfa42b71b6.jpg

Have been watching the Premier League Years and forgot how much I used to love the old Sky Sports Premier League ads. Maybe its the nostalgia getting the better of me but would love for them to bring the music back when its all up and running again.