Football 19/20. A season in which 20 Wrexham youths went to a right wing rally and twatted all the coked up right wing fat fucks in Manchester. UP THE SHAGGING TOWN

PowerButchi

45 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Nice to see that Kyle Walker has been taking lockdown seriously as he organised a party with a couple of ladies of negotiable affection. Putting more than his money into the local community. 

Wonder how many dogs were there...

• Paid Members
On 3/27/2020 at 9:14 PM, tiger_rick said:

1998 is the complete World Cup. The kick off times were ideal, though England v Tunisia at 3pm on a working day was probably a nightmare for many, there were tons of great games, the best players in the world were out in force and there were notable stories galore. Brilliant stuff.

Personally I think the best World Cups in terms of kick off time are those in the Americas. I remember that for Brazil 2014 we had kick off times of something like 6pm, 8pm and 11pm which meant I didn't miss any due to work etc. Even in Europe there are always 3pm kick offs which can make it awkward and don't get me started on 2002. Fucking waste of a good tournament that was.

Echo the love for USA 94. The first World Cup I can properly remember, we had the wall chart up at primary school and everything and the headteacher insisting we filled it in as a class before any thought of some actual schoolwork.

Edited by garynysmon

21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Something (a few years old) here for you @Keith Houchen

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/20/golden-goal-keith-houchen-for-coventry-city-v-tottenham-1987

In fact, the Guardian Football content over the last few weeks has been tremendous, well worth keeping an eye on if you don't already.

Thanks. That was a cracking read!

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The bit about John Sillett saying that football is supposed to entertain by "flair, passion and skill" tickled me.

Everything you love.

Its bollocks isn't it? We're all just as entertained by our sides scoring after the goalie lumped it up and a melee in the penalty box. 

I'm the furthest thing from a football purist you could get. Never saw the enjoyment in Barca's tiki taka days and passing the ball for no real reason.

Edited by garynysmon

18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The bit about John Sillett saying that football is supposed to entertain by "flair, passion and skill" tickled me.

Everything you love.

What the article didn’t clarify was he meant Flair as in diving face first to the floor, passion by begging the ref to brandish cards and skill in hoofing the ball accurately into the box. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Charles Reep, the greatest footballing theorist of all time had it right. Goals come from a team touching the ball 4 tines or less - So route one please. 

Thinking about route one always reminds me of this. (6.55 in)

22 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Its bollocks isn't it? We're all just as entertained by our sides scoring after the goalie lumped it up and a melee in the penalty box. 

I'm the furthest thing from a football purist you could get. Never saw the enjoyment in Barca's tiki taka days and passing the ball for no real reason.

Completely agree. It's all about what you individually enjoy isn't it?

One of the best goals I ever saw* live was Paul Robinson against Watford

*I say I saw it but if I'm being honest, as it was a fairly innocent free kick outside our own box, I was fiddling with a bag (not a woman) I had with me and didn't realise he'd actually been the one that kicked it.

43 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I'm not a big football purist but I don't think you can say the majority of Pep's Barcelona was passing the ball with no reason.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

I'm not a big football purist but I don't think you can say the majority of Pep's Barcelona was passing the ball with no reason.

Exactly. Pep once famously said 'I hate all this tiki taka for no reason'. Barca's style was purposeful. Prod and probe to find a way through by passing it, if there is no way through, go back through the team and try again. Plus, it knackered the opposition out by constantly chasing shadows.

As for Arsenal's 'pass pass pass' game around the same time...