Football 19/20. A season in which 20 Wrexham youths went to a right wing rally and twatted all the coked up right wing fat fucks in Manchester. UP THE SHAGGING TOWN

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I never understand the stick City get for their attendance. People seem to forget they have only really had 4 or 5 years of success, not nearly enough time to really grow their core, match going support(they used to get ~30k at Maine Road, didn't they?). If they continue like this for the next 10/15 yeara(like United did from '92 onwards), the local kids who have chosen them as their club(due to their success) will be of an age which they can buy match/season tickets themselves(and will steer their kids towards City too) which should mean those empty seats being useds

4-5 years? They've been dining at the big table for 10 years now. Won the FA Cup 9 years ago and their first PL title 8 years ago. It didn't take 10-15 years of continued success for 'plastic' United fans to pop up- it happened from 1994 where I grew up. 

Why haven't City been anywhere as successful as the other teams in generating a massive new fanbase here? Liverpool fans popped up everywhere in the south during the 80s, I already mentioned United, and mid-late 2000s you suddenly had a wave of Chelsea fans in my area. I have seen very few City kits where I train kids. Even Barca, Juve and PSG kits are rife. More Liverpool kids around here, too.

Essentially the plastics already have their team, and their children are hereditary plastics. Man Utd and Liverpool have had plastics forever, a lot of that is down to Irish fans and their offspring because they had Irish players. I went to school in the 80s and there were stacks of Liverpool and Man Utd fans.  It’ll take a while for new plastics to emerge 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

4-5 years? They've been dining at the big table for 10 years now. Won the FA Cup 9 years ago and their first PL title 8 years ago. It didn't take 10-15 years of continued success for 'plastic' United fans to pop up- it happened from 1994 where I grew up. 

Why haven't City been anywhere as successful as the other teams in generating a massive new fanbase here? Liverpool fans popped up everywhere in the south during the 80s, I already mentioned United, and mid-late 2000s you suddenly had a wave of Chelsea fans in my area. I have seen very few City kits where I train kids. Even Barca, Juve and PSG kits are rife. More Liverpool kids around here, too.

The amount of City kits around my way has shot up, with United kits being few and far between now.

What will be interesting is if Liverpool turn this years win into a decade of dominance(as bad as that would be), as it could really stop city building future fanbase and cause them more FFP issues.

12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Man Utd and Liverpool have had plastics forever, a lot of that is down to Irish fans and their offspring because they had Irish players. I went to school in the 80s and there were stacks of Liverpool and Man Utd fans.  It’ll take a while for new plastics to emerge 

That's the problem these days, back then you might have Irish/Scottish following due to certain players, nowadays with players from different countries City might have a huge following in say South America but that doesn't fill up stadiums (not sure how much money they make on merchandise).

It's not just Man City though, I've seen empty seats at Man Utd & Arsenal this season, assuming that's down to price of tickets/current performance though. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

The amount of City kits around my way has shot up, with United kits being few and far between now.

The number of City kits I see around has definitely shot up but it's from zero to about three. I see a lot of kids every week at our various footy activities and the majority are still in Hull City, England, Liverpool and United kits. Chelsea and Arsenal are next with the occasional wrong 'un in Leeds gear. We see as many foreign kits as man City. We had two unrelated Inter Milan's last week.

I don't really see that changing in the short term. Liverpool and United were successful over generations. They were successful at a time when football's exposure was much smaller. When TV games were fewer, when replica kits were harder to find. Kids don't just pick a team because they win stuff, they're as likely to follow a parent's team as anything and parents are still far more likely to support United and Liverpool. I don't see that changing any time soon.

To be honest, I agree with Keith. The poverty shaming isn't really on. But I remember the first time we played City at home in the Premier League, a group of their fans goading us outside the pub arrogantly chanting "We'll buy your club and burn it down" so fuck them.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Briefcase said:

It's not just Man City though, I've seen empty seats at Man Utd & Arsenal this season, assuming that's down to price of tickets/current performance though. 

Definitely the latter for us. I'm sure every league game is technically a sell-out and we have a huge waiting list for season tickets, but quite a few season ticket holders are staying away because they've become apathetic.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Definitely the latter for us. I'm sure every league game is technically a sell-out and we have a huge waiting list for season tickets, but quite a few season ticket holders are staying away because they've become apathetic.

Do they throw them out for not attending? I'm not a massive fan of that sort of dictatorship but I think I'm less of a fan of people buying up a seat they can afford not to fill while other people who would love to go can't.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

You can ramp up interest by really pushing the rivalry with City. Two Emirati-sponsored teams, battling over who hates United more: the ABU Derby.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Do they throw them out for not attending? I'm not a massive fan of that sort of dictatorship but I think I'm less of a fan of people buying up a seat they can afford not to fill while other people who would love to go can't.

I highly doubt it. Wouldn't be a bad idea though, would it? KSE are happier with guaranteed ticket revenue it seems rather than atmosphere, which I get, but surely you miss out on huge revenue from the £5 cups of beer and £6 slices of pizza you'd sell to a full attendance?

As an Arsenal season ticket holder who also goes to around 10 away games as well, I've long held the belief that it should track how many games you've been to that year and when cup final tickets etc come up, those who have been to the majority get first priority. You also should have to tap your season ticket out if you leave 15-10 minutes early and this is registered.

At the end of the season, if you have been to less than half of the total games, then your ticket should be up for review. Its harsh, but ultimately will affect very few in the long run, but get those who just buy it and then barely use it out and someone who wants it in.