Football 19/20. A season in which 20 Wrexham youths went to a right wing rally and twatted all the coked up right wing fat fucks in Manchester. UP THE SHAGGING TOWN

PowerButchi

Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I put Daniel Levy because I knew you would bite if I mentioned him. Do us all a favour bacon and put the internet down and go for a walk or something. 

Reading through your posts Steve your argument seemed to me to be "Ozil is a footballer, he isn't going to play football at Arsenal anymore, ethically he should go and play football somewhere else because he is a footballer. He shouldn't just collect his wages, he should move away to play football whatever he gets paid"

If I've read you wrong my apologies. 

I'm agreeing with you?

• Paid Members

What's Daniel Levy done that's demonstrably malfeasant? Not including getting £15m for Kyle Walker.

• Paid Members

It's strange that we, as football fans, can all flip flop our opinions on the sports transfer situations depending on the payer in question. We all bitch and complain when our clubs star player basically ignores the fact they have just signed an x years contract when a bigger club shows an interest, but when a player that is not performing wants to honour his contract and not move on, we all call him a lazy bastard. I know I have done both in recent transfer windows....

• Paid Members

Had a busy day at work today, presumably I haven't missed anything of note in the football thread as usual...oh. Gonna pick up a couple of the main points raised:

8 hours ago, mim731 said:

Saw a fair few on Twitter last night. I understand the frustration, given how much of an asset a motivated Ozil could be, but there's clearly a problem there that isn't down to Arteta, Emery seemed to have the same issue which suggests it's on the player's side of things. I just want him to go now, but it's the club's own stupid fault for giving him that mega contract and you can't fault Ozil for sticking around and getting paid what he's owed. Fucking Ivan Gazidis. 

My sentiments 100%. My guess is that he's putting in nowhere near the effort required for Arteta. He's from the school of Guardiola, who would scream at Thierry Henry for being out of position. And if Emery - who appeared to be as gutless as they come - dropped Ozil too then there is clearly a big problem with him on the training pitch. Some will labour the point 'whether he's putting in the effort or not, his creativity is needed- perhaps the club should make an exception'. I get that, but we're talking about a player who over the past couple of seasons has had very little effect and influence on the pitch when he has played. Occasionally you would see a glimpse of the greatness we saw during his first couple of seasons, but those instances were becoming fewer and further apart.

Even at Real, where Mourinho spoke highly of him and probably got the best out of him, he was occasionally left out of big games.

But- I don't blame him. He says he wants to play for Arsenal, and irrespective of whether that is true or not (I'm still undecided on that part), the club are the useless fucking goons that threw £350k at him because they were shit scared he would follow Alexis out of the club. Ozil is a walking propaganda machine though, posting Instagram messages and Tweets to suggest he's always ready and willing to play, but I suppose he has his best interests to think about. He's not going to earn anywhere near the silly money he's getting at Arsenal, so he is protecting his interests before that lucrative contract expires in hope that prospective future clubs see his side of things. This mess is all on the club- not Ozil, not Emery and not Arteta. Could he work harder to warrant his spot? Perhaps he could, but we don't see what happens on the training pitch and fans always forget this. If Arteta doesn't think he will bring value to the team, he won't get picked.

7 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Yes you can. He's a football player who's not playing football. He doesn't exactly need the money, and it's not like he'd be on shit wages if he went elsewhere. He's clearly not fussed about playing football otherwise he'd make the effort or move on. It was dumb of the club to give him that deal, but that's all hindsight. He holds all the cards and is holding the club to ransom. He's behaving like a complete dickhead.

Disagree with this. He was given £350k a week, he's probably training the same way he always has done- but it's not enough for Arteta nor was it enough for Emery. I don't think he's holding the club to ransom at all, this is the club's doing.

5 hours ago, scratchdj said:

When Richrd Wright was seeing out his career at Man City, he was still earning tens of thousands a week just to turn up to training and stand in goal whilst Yaya Touré hit rockets at him. I actually considered writing to Man City and offering to do the exact same job for half the money.

Ha! In fairness to Wright and other similar examples (there have been a few in recent years at Chelsea, City and Liverpool in particular) their contributions to the team are more than it seems on surface. Having an experienced goalkeeper on the books acts as another goalkeeper coach in many ways- the likes of Ederson and Alisson could learn a lot from them, especially the style of football they face.

4 hours ago, Factotum said:

Ozil WAS great for us and Giroud has blood on his hands for going missing for 4 months when he was on utter fire.

How dare you speak of Olivier in such negative tones. 

(seriously though, he was massively wasteful during that period)

4 hours ago, Gooner said:

Ozil should be in the squad, its ridiculous that he isn't. Obviously something somewhere behind the scenes is going on and Arteta has decided when he has put him in the squad to keep him on the bench or just not pick him at all. Ozil is still the most creative player we have at the football club.

He should be the most creative player, he's arguably the most talented in terms of technical ability (not using the horrible cliché 'technically gifted' because I think that term is outright bollocks)- but going by performances in recent years he isn't. Or he isn't creative enough to warrant his inclusion in spite of his negative points- I think that might be more true. I honestly don't think we would have fared better overall if he played more games this season.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’m not sure how much the best most sexiest goalkeeper in the world can learn from Andy Lonergan or Alex Manninger.

Alisson? He has the complexion of a 14 year old. Any discussion on sexy keepers should always start and end with Gigi.

1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

This is just like the time Teedy Kay said Matt Doherty was better than Trent.

I will never, ever forget that. Incredible.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

He should be the most creative player, he's arguably the most talented in terms of technical ability (not using the horrible cliché 'technically gifted' because I think that term is outright bollocks)- but going by performances in recent years he isn't. Or he isn't creative enough to warrant his inclusion in spite of his negative points- I think that might be more true. I honestly don't think we would have fared better overall if he played more games this season.

Who in the squad is a more creative player than Ozil?