Football 19/20. A season in which 20 Wrexham youths went to a right wing rally and twatted all the coked up right wing fat fucks in Manchester. UP THE SHAGGING TOWN

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Steve Justice said:

He is well within his rights to collect the wages as determined by his contract, but do you think there's honour in resting on his laurels and collecting a bit fat pay cheque and making little to no effort to play to the standards he's capable of playing? He was given that deal because he has outstanding ability, but he's not honouring the deal with his performances. We've made attempts to sell him, but he doesn't want to go because he'd rather have the extra cash than play football. He's no longer a footballer, he's a mercenary.

If selling him on was going to send him in to poverty, you would understand him wanting to stay just for the money. But it isn't. He'd still earn huge amount of money elsewhere.

We've not been lumbered with him just because of poor management, but because he's not performing as he can and should. Earn the money you've been given. 

And it's not just his performances on the pitch that have declined, but his attitude in training too. This isn't the behaviour of someone who has had a dip in quality, it's the behaviour of someone acting like a dickhead.

Football is, sadly a business first and foremost these days. I don't think "honour" is a consideration. Don't get me wrong, as I stated previously i would love a motivated Ozil in the team, and there's obviously more going on there. If not, I'd prefer we move him on, but it doesn't look likely. 

Speculation on his state-of-mind or intentions aside, if the club offer someone a 350k per week contract they can't blame anyone but themselves if the player chooses to see it out rather than take a pay cut to go elsewhere.  That's on the club, not the player.

If I was employed to join an employer to do a certain job, which I was very, very skilled at, and then my employer turned around and said "Actually we don't want you to do that job that we specifically paid you to do. We'd like you to do one that makes you look well below your level", I'd be a bit miffed as well.

Play your best players in their best positions and don't ask them to do things they are not particularly good at.

Football, as much as the xg stats would have you believe, is not rocket science.

25 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

He was given that deal because he has outstanding ability, but he's not honouring the deal with his performances.

I thought it was because he and Sanchez wanted out, they lost Sanchez and threw a hefty bribe his way to keep him at the club and try to keep the fans happy. I think every opposition fan was delighted when he signed that deal.

41 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

but do you think there's honour in resting on his laurels and collecting a bit fat pay cheque and making little to no effort to play to the standards he's capable of playing?

Yep. Loads of it. 

13 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I like to think that 99% or professional footballers do what they do for a living as they love football (apart from being in the top minisule of 1% of people who are good enough). No professional footballer starts on mega money, they earn mega money from proving they're in the top % of the top miniscule of 1% in terms of ability.

So I do feel a bit uneasy when you have someone who fits that discription, who is in that very top bracket of people on the planet, and they aren't playing football. Above everything else, it's a bit of a waste.

That said, I'd be interested to know at what point in a footballer's career the money side of it starts to take over the initial desire to play professional football.

When Richrd Wright was seeing out his career at Man City, he was still earning tens of thousands a week just to turn up to training and stand in goal whilst Yaya Touré hit rockets at him. I actually considered writing to Man City and offering to do the exact same job for half the money.

Good point, but as with everything, we'll never know the full story behind it. 

Maybe Ozil fucking hates playing football? Maybe it depresses him? Maybe he thinks all Arsenal fans are absolute cunts? One of these is well known and the other two will just have to remain a mystery, so we'll never know unless he says so.

I've only ever "known" one professional football player and once the initial 'I've made it to the big time and can afford nice clothes and a car' shine wore off, he quickly realised that he didn't actually like playing professional football and preferred having a kick around on the estate with everyone else. This was in the 90's though when obviously the money wasn't anywhere near what it is now.

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yep. Loads of it. 

That's because you like shithousery.

My gripe with Ozil is mostly born of frustration, because he's an excellent player that, as scratchdj alluded to, is wasting his talent. The money side of the annoyance is down to poor management, but the whole situation isn't just because of poor management and the blame shouldn't stop there. Ozil has to take accountability too, because he is consciously making the choice to not put the effort in on and off the pitch.

Ozil WAS great for us and Giroud has blood on his hands for going missing for 4 months when he was on utter fire.

But this is not Ozil from even 2 years ago. He's fallen off a cliff. We need a creative players in our side in the summer, but that player isn't Ozil. He's fallen out of favour with two managers now, one of which he was friendly with and actually played all of the games for before lockdown, so obviously his attitude is shit as Arteta has made it clear that if you put in the effort he'll select you. He's not even making the bench.

Anyway, awful season for us this, so bad we'll win the FA Cup.

49 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

If I was employed to join an employer to do a certain job, which I was very, very skilled at, and then my employer turned around and said "Actually we don't want you to do that job that we specifically paid you to do. We'd like you to do one that makes you look well below your level", I'd be a bit miffed as well.

And you'd be right to be miffed. So what you could do is join another employer to do the job you're good at. 

I'm not saying Ozil has to leave to save Arsenal from having to pay him. I'm saying do the job you're being paid for, whether it's at Arsenal or elsewhere. If you don't like the job anymore, then do something else. To just do the bare minimum (or less) but collect 100% of the pay is a dick move, regardless of the industry. 

Absolutely take offence at a perceived lack of effort and any behaviour you deem unprofessional. Don’t expect him to leave money on the table because Arsenal fucked up and don’t want to pay him off.

I think there’s not many of us who wouldn’t swap our day jobs and go and play for our beloved team for the same or even less money but we’re all marks. I had a lot of respect for Benoit Assou-Ekotto when he did that interview saying it’s just his job. Likewise I love it when Peter Crouch or someone talks about how much he loves the game still.

Ozil should be in the squad, its ridiculous that he isn't. Obviously something somewhere behind the scenes is going on and Arteta has decided when he has put him in the squad to keep him on the bench or just not pick him at all. Ozil is still the most creative player we have at the football club. I have no problem with him deciding to stay and not leave till his contract ends if that's what he thinks is best for his family and himself. I hope we see him in one of the remaining two fixtures we have left if this season.

31 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

If you don't like the job anymore, then do something else.

I remember this argument being used about slaughterhouse workers in another thread. That was bollocks too. 

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I remember this argument being used about slaughterhouse workers in another thread. That was bollocks too. 

Whilst I get your point, there's a very good chance that Ozil is financially secure enough to have the luxury of the option.

2 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Whilst I get your point, there's a very good chance that Ozil is financially secure enough to have the luxury of the option.

And in his current field he has a limited shelf life. He isn’t going to get a better paid contract in his career so it makes sense that he sees this as his pension. Better to do a job you dislike for mammoth pay for a few more years so that you can live in total luxury for the rest of your life. 

19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And in his current field he has a limited shelf life. He isn’t going to get a better paid contract in his career so it makes sense that he sees this as his pension. Better to do a job you dislike for mammoth pay for a few more years so that you can live in total luxury for the rest of your life. 

Yeah, I can get behind that. 

I am struggling with the ethics of this. On the one hand he's acting very unprofessionally, and extorting the club by not doing what he's being paid to do, as well as wasting the talent he has to the detriment of the club on the pitch. On the other hand, the club have put him in that position and caused a rift between him and the club/supporters.

I guess you can't fault him for staying and getting paid. I can accept that. But if he's going to stay, he should be doing the job he's being paid for.