Football 19/20. A season in which 20 Wrexham youths went to a right wing rally and twatted all the coked up right wing fat fucks in Manchester. UP THE SHAGGING TOWN

PowerButchi

On 4/8/2020 at 12:07 PM, Briefcase said:

It's funny how you remember games with iffy kick off times. I remember watching one of Englands group games in school (98 world cup) as it must have kicked off at 2pm or 3pm. How they allowed us to watch this I'll never know.

World Cup 2002 the Brazil game I remember watching before work in our canteen and them allowing us to start work later/work through lunch/finish later. I'm sure on that day the Tube was empty as most of the nation stayed at home. 

If I remember correctly, the A Level Maths exam started at 9am the morning England played Brazil. So, bang on the start of the second half. Unlucky, fellow children.

On 4/8/2020 at 4:17 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

Kind of a forgotten World Cup theme....

Right, glad you brought this up (which clearly, you did). So here is the list of the best TV World Cup themes since I was born. I'm not doing Mexico.

1990 - BBC: Nessun Dorma, yeah everyone remembers this, fine.
1994 - BBC: Lalala lala America, lalala lala America. ITV don't even bother turning up.
1998 - Much, much closer than the previous, but BBC using Fauré's 'Pavane' takes it over ITV's Apollo 440 tune by a hair's breadth.
2002 - BBC went with Faithless's 'Tarantula' which is great but ITV had Madame Butterfly. I'll be honest, these are much of a muchness in my opinion. Call it a draw.
2006 - I don't mind Kasabian, but fucking hell ITV, why are you getting them to cover Bowie's "Heroes"? BBC for that alone.
2010 - Shit, ITV have done it! Vusi Masahela's 'When You Come Back' was so enjoyable that I actually bought it. BBC's effort generic in its effort to sound vaguely African.
2014 - Piss easy win for Channel 3; ITV drop right onto the utter earworm that is 'Aquarela do Brasil' while BBC throw in something by notorious Brazilian Stevie Wonder.
2018 - Closer than it has any right to be because ITV go way over the top with Tchaikovsky's 'Swan Theme' mixed with some Greatest Showman homages, but I think it's still a bit better than BBC's 'put some Russian dolls in it' intro with Ochi Chernye.

Edited by Daaaaaad!

RTE 2 used to play this montage at closedown for years after the 2002 World Cup. Remember arriving home at 1 or 2am and in my early drinking career and looking forward to it!

Edited by DCW

• Paid Members

Mexico 1986 on the BBC used to have the "Aztec Nightmare". Don't know who it was by. Might have been credited to somebody called "Heads". Don't know who that is.

ITV had "Aztec Gold" by Silsoe a.k.a Rod Argent & Peter Van Hooke. Two of them seemed to do a lot of ITV intros at the time.. Also used as the "Saint and Greavsie" theme.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

England-Germany from 1990 WC is on iPlayer Sunday at 3pm.

Wonder if my dad will sink to his knees as Waddle blasts over, crying clutching his Embassy No 1 and shout "facking come ere Gal" as he bear hugs me and tells me we'll win it one day. The big twat.

My earliest memory I reckon. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

ITV had the brilliant "Gloryland" by Hall and Oates. They win. Both superb though.

Always preferred the saxophone version to the lyrical one. Seemed more faster.

ADDED: Should just fling up the World Cup Documentaries. Edward Woodward narrated this one called "Soccer Shoot Out!". World Cup 90 one. Liev Shreiber did World Cup 94.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

12 hours ago, DCW said:

RTE 2 used to play this montage at closedown for years after the 2002 World Cup. Remember arriving home at 1 or 2am and in my early drinking career and looking forward to it!

This was splendid!

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

2014 - Piss easy. ITV drop right onto the utter earworm that is 'Aquarela do Brasil' while BBC throw in something by notorious Brazilian Stevie Wonder.

ITV's theme was brilliant, 'Brazil' by Thiago Thoma. Lovely little song. And what a World Cup. 

But my favourite TV tournament intro theme has to be BBC using Ode To Joy for Euro 96. Such pomp, such grandeur. I fucking love this piece of music so much. 

13 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Matty Holland banging that one in is one of my abiding memories of that World Cup. Am I right in thinking it was an early-ish games? I swear cereal was involved at my end.

Yeah it was 6 or 7am on a Saturday morning if I remember right. Remember my auld lad coming in and dragging me out of bed for it. Was some controversy about Cameroon's shirts being too short or something I think!

Edited by DCW