Football 19/20. A season in which 20 Wrexham youths went to a right wing rally and twatted all the coked up right wing fat fucks in Manchester. UP THE SHAGGING TOWN

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Yosser Hughes was back in Hull? Hopefully signing anyone decent you have. Would have been a wasted trip.

Jarrod Bowen is worth more than every player you've ever had put together. Except Dennis Lawrence.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

In none Wrexham related news, Forest have sacked Martin O'Neill after 5 months and appointed ex-France international and Ivory Coast manager Sabri Lamouchi. Interesting one. Clearly wasn't happening for O'Neill and his "style" of football. Better to nip it in the bud?

He was a bad appointment, and I don't have a mountain of faith in Lamouchi, based on his management career so far. Beggars can't be choosers, though, and the smart types on the Nottingham Post site calling for the owners to leave have very, very short memories.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Yes, O'Neill is a footballing dinosaur. 

Speaking of football dinosaurs, why is Aidy Boothroyd in charge of our U21s? After all the good work done by the younger teams in 2017, the last stop before the senior side is being coached by this direct-loving spenk. His team selection cost us. Not starting Abraham for the first two games (Solanke instead, really?) in the Euros this summer was one thing, but benching Phil Foden after being by far our best player VS France was absurd.

Also, benching Wan-Bissaka after the first game where he had a bit of a stinker was poor management in my view. He's seen him all season, he surely knows how good he can be and that performance was likely a one-off which all players have now and then. Dropping him after that game (and his own goal) must've dented his confidence. Didn't fucking work either, did it?

• Paid Members

The performances of all of our young sides have been disappointing this year. Agree with your view on Boothroyd but we need to be careful not to kneejerk. Things are far better from bottom to almopst top but we didn't just resolve all of the issues in the game because we won the U17 World Cup and we're not suddenly back to square one now (not aimed at you).

The biggest issue with our young players is still lack of opportunities at the top level and we need to keep reinforcing that and trying to force change.

That said, his management has been crap. Some good players not selected but he was afforded players who'd surely have been in the full squad if not for that tournement (like Maddison). No idea what he was thinking about with Foden.

One thing that worries me is the lack of really good centre halves coming through. We seem to be making full backs for fun, have creative, vibrant midfielders all of a sudden and a proliferation of wide players. But at centre-back the cupboard is bare. I mentioned it recently about Arsenal but has any top club produced an English centre-half lately? The performance of Stones in the Nations League and the knock on to Maguire was frightening. Joe Gomez better be fucking brilliant.

• Paid Members

Oh things are certainly much better from bottom to top, I don't think we need to really address anything major overall, I was more commenting on the poxy job Boothroyd has done this summer.

We barely produce defend defenders and the current crop are mostly Chelsea and Spurs loanees that don't look great. As you say, everywhere else on the pitch we're bringing through players in abundance. Am I right in saying that a lot of the other big European nations (except for Italy, who seem to have a conveyer belt for centre halves) often move midfielders to CB late in their development? Hence why they look so much more comfortable on the ball than ours.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Oh, and Gomez is bloody ace but he's destined to be broken.

It’s a shame. 

He’s got the lot and will/could come on so much next to Van Dijk, but he’s got legs made of Weetabix. He’s the new Rob Jones.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Speaking of football dinosaurs, why is Aidy Boothroyd in charge of our U21s?

I remember when he came to Coventry, there was a lot of talk about what style of football he would have us playing (Obviously I wanted the one that got results).  That talk pretty much ended when he quickly side Clive Platt.  Long ball it is then, chaps!  We've been utter dreck over the years, but the Boothroyd time was fucking awful.

I know he isn't an under 21 player but I thought Rob Holding looked impressive for Arsenal before his injury last season and after a quick wiki check he's only 23. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and reaches his potential. England could certainly benefit from it (and Arsenal, of course).

Edited by Briefcase

This summer is a bit mental. 

Sell an England Under21 centre back for 13 million.  Buy the England Under 21  left back for 2 million.  The England Under 21 Right Back goes for 50 million..

We've also signed Sammie Szmodics for 750k, Bentley, the Brentford keeper for 2-4m. We look like signing Tomas Kalas for 5-7m and potentially selling Webster who we brought last summer for 3.5m for 20-30m.

Staggering amounts of money for the Championship..  Football is far removed from signing someone for 100k and being massively excited about it.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, patiirc said:

This summer is a bit mental. 

Sell an England Under21 centre back for 13 million.  Buy the England Under 21  left back for 2 million.  The England Under 21 Right Back goes for 50 million..

We've also signed Sammie Szmodics for 750k, Bentley, the Brentford keeper for 2-4m. We look like signing Tomas Kalas for 5-7m and potentially selling Webster who we brought last summer for 3.5m for 20-30m.

Staggering amounts of money for the Championship..  Football is far removed from signing someone for 100k and being massively excited about it.

Even as recently as '05, 500-750k was our ballpark. 

Did you include Jay DaSilva signing on permanently?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, seph said:

Did you include Jay DaSilva signing on permanently? 

Yeah I'm assuming he meant him when he mentioned the England U21 left back. He's tiny, isn't he??

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah I'm assuming he meant him when he mentioned the England U21 left back. He's tiny, isn't he??

About the same as Dani Alves and a couple of inches shorter than Ashley Cole. Definitely small for a full back even in this day and age.