Freedom of Speech/Inclusion/Tolerance etc.

BomberPat

50 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I don't disagree with you - as I have repeatedly said, it is not a one size fits all issue - what works for one person will not work for others.
My overall point is that we try something other than just de-platforming - and we both agree that it can work in some instances.

No platforming stops recruitment and is for the leaders and higher ups.  Your regular jihadist or nazi doesn't have the platform to begin with but a lot of them wouldn't need de-radicalising if the aforementioned leaders weren't afforded the platform.  That's how I see it.  And we're on about two different things, no platforming doesn't change the minds of those no platformed, it stops the mind being changed for potential recruits.  When I say no platforming works, I don't mean a nazi stops being a nazi because of it, it stops a disillusioned person becoming one.

34 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

No platforming stops recruitment and is for the leaders and higher ups.  Your regular jihadist or nazi doesn't have the platform to begin with but a lot of them wouldn't need de-radicalising if the aforementioned leaders weren't afforded the platform.  That's how I see it.  And we're on about two different things, no platforming doesn't change the minds of those no platformed, it stops the mind being changed for potential recruits.  When I say no platforming works, I don't mean a nazi stops being a nazi because of it, it stops a disillusioned person becoming one.

I agree with you on that and can see that kind of thing would be incredibly beneficial.

You can also debate ideas without having to give a platform to people. We can talk about how trans people are valid without giving Graham Linehan ten minutes to talk about how much he hates them. We can talk about how immigration benefits the country without giving Farage et al the credibility of being presented as the opposite side of a legitimate debate, as opposed to the bad faith grifter he is.

• Paid Members

If you remember the rinsing that Nick Griffin got on Question Time, when his views were challenged and he was debated, it's also worth remembering that the BNP saw a spike in membership afterwards. Giving someone a platform to espouse hatred in the name of 'debate' doesn't often work. 

Or, more accurately, just because something CAN work doesn't mean it WILL work. 

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Right - so give him the platform. Expose him as an idiot. Fight bigotry and lies with facts and logic. 
Can't do that if he isn't allowed to speak in the first place. 

That worked out well when journalists were working around the clock to expose Donald Trump's lies during the 2016 election campaign, didn't it?

• Paid Members

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48492619

Band gets booked for Glastonbury. Sunday Times 'reveals' that one of their songs is called Kill Tory Scum and outright calls for the murder of all Tories. Glastonbury cancels booking.

Now, obviously I have no problem with this, but where's the right-wing outrage from the free speech is supreme brigade? What's the difference between this and cancelling/not booking racists/idiots from talking at a university or a British Medical Association panel?

• Paid Members

Personally, I’m pleased the media are finally taking a zero tolerance approach to this kind of incitment of violence. They had to go after them, after the scolding Farage got for his “pick up a rifle and head for the front lines” comment.

Wait a minute....

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 10:15 AM, JNLister said:

Now, obviously I have no problem with this, but where's the right-wing outrage from the free speech is supreme brigade?

Worth quoting this again regarding Jo Brand.  For those who don't know, she said on Bae Vicky C's new Radio 4 show "Heresy" which is about what you can and can't say, "Why bother with a milkshake when you can get some battery acid".  Poor old snowflake in chief, Nigel "I'll don khaki and pick up a rifle if Brexit isn't delivered" Farage is deeply offended by her comments saying it's incitement to violence.