Mat

AEW Double or Nothing

It's a wider problem of nothing in WWE having any consequence. It seems most obvious when we talk about recent NXT call-ups, but when was the last time anything Cesaro did feel like it mattered? Or Rusev? Hell, even half the main event - when they trot out John Cena, when was the last time it mattered? Randy Orton vs Triple H just happened, Undertaker vs Goldberg just happened, neither of which will have any consequence, and neither of which they gave us any reason to care about beyond being told, over and over again, that we should care about them.

I said earlier in this thread that Dean Ambrose is a former WWE Champion, held a range of other championships, was one third of arguably the hottest act of this decade, and one of very few wrestlers of his generation to have shared the ring with The Undertaker, Triple H and Brock Lesnar, yet when he left we were still talking about him as a missed opportunity. Because nothing WWE does has any lasting consequence any more. 

15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That's exactly what I'd do. Build someone up every week with a brief, digestible vignette covering their story before debuting them in the last week of the month. "NXT Rookie Of The Month" or something like that.

Of course, should really only do that with truly stand-out talent you really want to push. There's also a need for an actual lower-card and jobbers, so maybe just call up the less stand-out talent via jobber matches or battle royals or multi-man tags or something.

The problem with it is that for most of the top guys on NXT, their journey/character is “I do workrates on Takeover shows.” Then they get to the major leagues and instead of appearing on TV once every 2-3 weeks and having a 25-minute match once every two months or so that the hardcore audience is invested in, they’re having 20 minute matches every week just to fill TV time. And the main shows have already got Rollins, Reigns, Styles, Bryan etc who already have a connection to the audience and are doing similar/better workrates on these shows as well, so it’s harder for the NXT guys to catch on like that.

The acts from NXT that come up and catch on quick are the ones that provide something different to what’s already on the show - Bray Wyatt, the Shield, Enzo and Cass, Elias. An immediate superpush can help, like what Kevin Owens and Finn Balor got upon debuting.

But then there’s also novelty stuff that just works in NXT and doesn’t connect on the main roster - Adam Rose is the biggest example that comes to mind, which they’ve copied with No Way Jose to similar indifference from crowds. To an extent, Nakamura fits into this as well, as he’s got little to offer besides a fun entrance. But if he’d come in feuding with The Miz or... fuck, I don’t even remember who the decent heels were at the time. But feuding with Ziggler from the off didn’t help him, although he beat Cena and Orton in his first few months.

1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

The problem with it is that for most of the top guys on NXT, their journey/character is “I do workrates on Takeover shows.” Then they get to the major leagues and instead of appearing on TV once every 2-3 weeks and having a 25-minute match once every two months or so that the hardcore audience is invested in, they’re having 20 minute matches every week just to fill TV time. And the main shows have already got Rollins, Reigns, Styles, Bryan etc who already have a connection to the audience and are doing similar/better workrates on these shows as well, so it’s harder for the NXT guys to catch on like that.

The acts from NXT that come up and catch on quick are the ones that provide something different to what’s already on the show - Bray Wyatt, the Shield, Enzo and Cass, Elias. An immediate superpush can help, like what Kevin Owens and Finn Balor got upon debuting.

But then there’s also novelty stuff that just works in NXT and doesn’t connect on the main roster - Adam Rose is the biggest example that comes to mind, which they’ve copied with No Way Jose to similar indifference from crowds. To an extent, Nakamura fits into this as well, as he’s got little to offer besides a fun entrance. But if he’d come in feuding with The Miz or... fuck, I don’t even remember who the decent heels were at the time. But feuding with Ziggler from the off didn’t help him, although he beat Cena and Orton in his first few months.

Well, this is it, as well - the other thing is they need to change their booking of the main shows in general, and, from the look of it, it doesn't sem like that's changing any time soon.

2 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

This is pretty great 

That had more wrestling footage and better promos then an hour of raw

Enjoyed that. I'd say less is more when it comes to the camera cuts but I otherwise enjoyed Joey Janela's promo. The digs at Moxley were predictable but they worked well enough.

First time I think I've seen Darby Allin. I learned more about him in five minutes than I've learnt about any WWE wrestler in twenty years. The straight-edge emo gimmick doesn't particularly do it for me but I'm intrigued.

Glad they've brought back a couple of the Joshi girls. I've watched back Double or Nothing a couple of times and fuck me am I in love with Riho. Her and Emi Sakura were excellent together

Odd that Moxley vs Janela isn't listed as a hardcore match on the card, maybe they're holding it off?

Looking forward to the next event though I still have no fucking clue how and where to watch it. What are the chances of them bringing in PAC for the six man tag?

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That had more wrestling footage and better promos then an hour of raw

The video is only ten minutes long, it definitely hasn't got an hour of Raw at the end of it.

11 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The video is only ten minutes long, it definitely hasn't got an hour of Raw at the end of it.

It also only contained about 20 seconds of in ring footage

Plus, who the fuck watches Raw and comes away thinking, "that could've done with having more wrestling."

What a mad complaint.

Edit: Having now watched the video, it’s great stuff. Janela’s promo is really impressive considering I’d never heard him talk before, that one shot of Sean Spears with a posh car made him look like a superstar and then that Darby Allin thing was spectacular. Told me more than enough to get me invested in seeing him in the ring. 

Bloody hell though. The quicker everyone drops the “unchained,” metaphors and stops talking about WWE the better.  Kevin Dunn references? Fuck off, lads. You’re clearly better than this.

Edited by Supremo

The Janela promo is the only bit of it I don't like. I don't like him anyway but the content is shite. It does at least play to the right audience but it's not for me. Who gives a fuck about all that.

The rest is top notch. And I really like the way they've taken bits that someone has shot and used and credited them. It's a very clever way to work especially given the quality of what Ambrose and Mondo did with that jailbreak video and what the fella has done with that Dillinger promo.

Looking forward to seeing Allin. Seen him advertised as Cody's opponent but genuinely never seen him before. In fact, I thought it was some one-off gimmick given the name appeared to be a pun! He's got a good look and talked well. Sold me on the match already.

The name of the show is a bit shit. Look forward to seeing the venue though. Ocean Center was the home of Bash at the Beach a few times.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Ocean Center was the home of Bash at the Beach a few times.

It's not the whole Ocean Center they're using is it? I assumed that was where they were having the CEO games conference and they just had a little set up like last year with Omega et al? Or is this a much bigger show?

Brandi Rhodes is pretty annoying.  Is she any good at wrestling?  She seems to be AEW's Stephanie, all over the product.

22 minutes ago, Loki said:

Brandi Rhodes is pretty annoying.  Is she any good at wrestling?  She seems to be AEW's Stephanie, all over the product.

She had a few poor matches in Stardom, I think she suffered an injury early in her brief run there though.

Edited by The King Of Swing

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Looking forward to seeing Allin. Seen him advertised as Cody's opponent but genuinely never seen him before. In fact, I thought it was some one-off gimmick given the name appeared to be a pun! He's got a good look and talked well. Sold me on the match already.

It's a play on Darby Crash from The Germs and GG Allin, two punk vocalists. He does look pretty intriguing though and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action, maybe moreso because I like the two artists who serve as his namesake.

I'm a big fan of Janela, though that recent match with a 15 year old girl soured me on him a bit as that shouldn't have even been a thing in the first place. But I'm looking forward to seeing him and Moxley, bit of a dream match in death match circles I suppose. There's a short documentary about him on YouTube which is really interesting and worth a look as well, called 'Please Don't Die'.

Edited by digitalversicolor