AEW Double or Nothing

Mat

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I saw a gif of Orange Cassidy doing an arm drag with his hands still in his pockets.  I thought it was ace!

Ok, I'm drawn to YouTube after reading this. Just watched a match where he teamed with Session Moth VS Brian Cage and Jordynne Grace (:love:). Grace goes for a back body drop, he rolls over and then hits a drop kick followed by a kip up- hand in pockets all throughout. She later hits him with the Cesaro big swing, and there are a few other fun little spots centred on his hands in his others and his aviators. Good stuff!

They still did a terrible job in explaining who he was during the Rumble, though.

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I saw a gif of Orange Cassidy doing an arm drag with his hands still in his pockets.  I thought it was ace!

I saw a guy I've never heard of enter a battle royal unannounced and limply kick Tommy Dreamer several times. I thought it was dogshit. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

One of his more armless spots. 

Minus five stars. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Ok, I'm drawn to YouTube after reading this.

I thought you would! Was it you who used to "bodyslam" himself in training?

21 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

What would that look like? 

Its easy to sit on the side-lines complaining but you can't say that what AEW produced was unoriginal in today's wrestling world. We had blood, emotion, a range of wrestling styles (Joshi, some hardcore, flying, hard hitting). The fact that they claim to want wins and losses to matter is refreshing in US wrestling today. They have used some reasonable talent, some big names (Jericho, Omega to a lesser degree, Rhodes), want it to look more gritty and sports orientated. When was the last time we saw a big time production that wasn't WWE that did that? 

I mean, their next show will probably have less surprises because they spunked their load on this. Also why would you put Cody vs Allin, and have Moxley face Janela, a guy who those new to non-WWE companies know nowt about. I expect the buzz around them to tank and before long they will be relegated to Impact level standards with similar ratings.

Vince already has his popcorn ready.

Edited by Seratonin

10 minutes ago, Seratonin said:

I mean, their next show will probably have less surprises because they spunked their load on this. Also why would you put Cody vs Allin, and have Moxley face Janela, a guy who those new to non-WWE companies know nowt about. I expect the buzz around them to tank and before long they will be relegated to Impact level standards with similar ratings.

To put eyes on those talents? To give mainstream fans an in on the matches featuring the more Indy guys?

Nah mate, makes no sense to me either.

Edited by BrodyGraham

5 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

To put eyes on those talent's? To give mainstream fans an in on the matches featuring the more Indy guys?

Nah mate, makes no sense to me either.

You're right it makes no sense to have the big boys face guys new viewers have no idea of. Cody and Mox are big names.

• Paid Members

Here’s a short documentary on Orange Cassidy.

I love him. Especially if they’re going to be a touring company potentially doing house shows, him and Shawn Spears would be my two picks for opening match guys to get the crowd laughing and having a good time.

I've heard of Joey Janela but had no idea what he looked like (I actually thought he was black, for some reason!), but if he is in a match with a rejuvenated Dean Ambrose on a show that I can watch on telly for free, I'm going to watch that show and will then know a bit more about him.  Then when I see him on the next show, I'll know who he is.  It's proper booking.

1 minute ago, Seratonin said:

You're right it makes no sense to have the big boys face guys new viewers have no idea of. Cody and Mox are big names.

I'm not going to skirt the issue here. You're an idiot.

How do you familiarise your audience with new talent if they don't have an in? How do you promote a show without legitimising the large part of your roster that your audience might not know? Do AEW have enough 'big boys' to promote ad infinitum without building guys? (Imminent Garthing)

They need to have these matches to legitimise their roster and keep giving the big guys fresh matches. They are going to fail if they use the logic that 70 percent of their talent should be treat like lepers because some of the audience don't pay attention to the Indies. 

One of the big reasons AEW exists is to put a spot light on these guys.

I'd never heard of Orange Cassidy until about 3 months ago and I saw him wrestle live twice over Mania week and I thought and still think he is amazing.

But, how does that character work on a weekly TV show, if he's on it, we'll see I guess, and does it become boring and repetative as quickly as you think it would if you see it too often, but also where does that character fit in with the super serious sport they claim they're going to be.

The introduction of the character to an audience of people who probably most don't know who he is was terrible though, and absolute waste.

19 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I'm not going to skirt the issue here. You're an idiot.

How do you familiarise your audience with new talent if they don't have an in? How do you promote a show without legitimising the large part of your roster that your audience might not know? Do AEW have enough 'big boys' to promote ad infinitum without building guys? (Imminent Garthing)

They need to have these matches to legitimise their roster and keep giving the big guys fresh matches. They are going to fail if they use the logic that 70 percent of their talent should be treat like lepers because some of the audience don't pay attention to the Indies. 

One of the big reasons AEW exists is to put a spot light on these guys.

I'm with you....and if you listen to Moxley on Jericho's podcast he says exactly the same thing...something along the lines of "if somone is channel hoping and they see the guy who used to be in the shield wrestling somone they don't know, that gets eyes on those guys, and I'm here to get eyes on as much and as many people as I can"

WWE do it to a much lesser extent, now and then, throwing some random joe average into a feud with Cena would be seen as insane by many, but it didn't do Kevin Owens any harm...if you have the right talent, sticking them in against your established stars is absolutely the way to go...its the reason they put AJ with Jericho at mania...to us "smart" fans AJ is huge, but to tunnel vision WWE fans he was a nobody really..so why have AJ v Owens to a lukewarm reception and Cena v Jeicho which people have seen countless times when by putting the vets with the "newcomers" you get two fresh matches and create two new stars

1 hour ago, Seratonin said:

Why the fuck would you put Moxley against a Cody, Omega etc on a non PPV show, you save those sort of matches for where you can make money