Owen Hart’s Final Day

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I didn't want to stick this in the podcast thread where it would be largely ignored.

POST Wrestling's John Pollock has put together a tremendous audio documentary that goes through Owen Hart's last day at the Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Missouri. He interviews several people who were close to the situation in order to get a detailed look at what happened during the day, the incident itself and the aftermath.

There's a lot of info I didn't know in here, such as Owen leaving the arena in protest over the planned stunt and Honky Tonk Man initially telling wrestling reporters that Owen's death was a work. There's also some unnerving footage of Vince being grilled over not cancelling the show and Martha Hart's battle against the family.

Honestly, find 50 minutes to listen to this. It's a well researched, well put together piece that's up there with the best audio documentaries.

https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/05/20/owen-harts-final-day-a-post-profile/

I listened to this today and found it really moving and this and everything else going on it's left me really sour.

I can't remember the who the guy at the end was but he said he never understood or asked why the arena was not just emptied and became a crime scene as it should've been. The more I think of it should have, the old wrestling 'show must go on mentality' is bullshit, it was a crime scene and could definitely been destroying evidence.

The autograph hunter who had lunch with Owen, Owen ignoring the office calls and when he picked up allegedly was told to go to the arena or be fired and when asked what he was going to do answered 'i need to support my family' man oh man it had me moved, clearly was uncomfortable doing it

Regular listener to post wrestling show and Big credit to John Pollack on this, really well put together documentary from various people on the day who were with Owen

14 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Its a fantastic audio documentary. I didnt know half of it. What a waste of life. Something Bret Hart said always stuck with me. If it was Shane who fell from the roof, would the show have went on? No chance.

I honestly think the complete opposite - the thought of Vince cancelling a show (back then anyway) due to a McMahon seems even less likely to me than any other member of the roster. I don't think it would have even crossed his mind - he'd have gone in the ambulance and left Prichard etc. in charge of running the show. 

So it was 20 years ago today.
Crazy.
I still have the VCR of the show gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.
Absolutely tragic. He was 34, which is stupidly young. An incredible talent and just an absolutely senseless, needless tragedy.

It is still difficult to fathom that they actually continued with the show almost as if nothing happened.

1 minute ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

So it was 20 years ago today.
Crazy.
I still have the VCR of the show gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.
Absolutely tragic. He was 34, which is stupidly young. An incredible talent and just an absolutely senseless, needless tragedy.

It is still difficult to fathom that they actually continued with the show almost as if nothing happened.

Fuck! Didn't realise he was that young. He could have feasibly gone on for another 10-15 years. Probably would have got the belt eventually too.

Edited by AVM

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It was a crime scene, end of. As the guy says in the doc, the place should've been cleared out as soon as Owen had been transported, with only the key players staying in the building.

The stuff with Jimmy feeling something graze him and seeing the state of Owen's arm, was shocking.