Rashad Evans: UFC Hall Of Famer

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Announced on the show in New York last night that he’s being inducted during International Fight Week in July. 

About time. Fuck that he finished up on 5 losses in a row. Rashad at his best was one of the top fighters of his era. Won TUF 2 as a tiny heavyweight and went on to beat the likes of Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, Tito Ortiz, Michael Bisping and Chael Sonnen. That’s a who’s who of names from his era. He was the UFC light heavyweight champion and was a tremendous coach on TUF 10. He also had a hand in helping train guys like Kamaru Usman, Anthony Johnson, Vitor Belfort, Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson, Tyrone Spong, Gilbert Burns and a bunch more at various points in their careers during the Blackzilians days. On top of all that he’s been a really good analyst for FOX and now ESPN. He’s added so much to my MMA enjoyment over the years when I look back. 

Here’s a quick interview with him reacting to the news he’s going in the HOF. If you can tolerate Karyn Bryant’s annoying shoutiness at the beginning; 

He seemed proper taken aback by the announcement during the show and was visibly emotional. Great to see him getting that moment in New York though and even better to see how much he’s pretty much universally liked these days. Most of you who post MMA on here will recall a time when that wasn’t the case. It’s nice to see that’s changed. I never really got the hate for him anyway. 

Let’s discuss Suga Rashad. Favourite memories and all that good stuff. 

Pretty cool that him and Bisping are going in the HOF at the same time as well. 

B2A8890C-4F3E-4249-9CC2-B1323E770E9B.gif

Sadly I cheered against him alot tbh. I was a Liddell, Henderson, Griffin, Bisping etc fan. I liked him when I first saw him on TUF though as he seemed to drive Matt Hughes, who I always hated up the wall. He then kicked uber dickhead Sean Salmon's head clean off. I think his career highlight for me was making Rampage look like an idiot on their TUF series.

I'd been a huge Rampage fan for years and sadly that series just showed him up as a total wanker and arrogant bully. Rashad though wasen't intimidated at all by him and made him look stupid throughout. Rampage still had the cheers fight night but he lost me as a fan and I was laughing when Rashad beat him.

He fell so sharp, so quick. He was 17-1-1 before Jones then it was sad he ended up 19-8-1. 

• Paid Members

Rashad impersonations...

Mike Tyson;

Rashad’s mum, Anderson Silva, Marcus Jones from TUF 10 (Warning - Mike Goldberg is pure cringe at the start);

And one I’d never seen until now, Rashad’s Alistair Overeem is spot on!; 

😂 

I was also a Liddell and Griffin supporter. Thus I could never get behind Rashad when he was at his peak. In fact, I disliked him for a good few years. However, in retrospect, the problem was with me, not with him. There wasn't really anything wrong with Rashad. I was just butthurt that he beat fighters that I liked at the time (ironically, I later grew to dislike Griffin).

TUF 10 marked a turning point for Rashad's reputation. He came across much better than Rampage did during filming. He was not only a better coach, but also came across as a better person. In retrospect, it is slightly baffling that the fans remained in Rampage's corner after the show, and when the two later fought in Vegas. In the next few years a lot of fans slowly dropped old grudges, and rightfully began to appreciate Rashad's achievements. There were still a few bumps along the road. For instance, he made a silly remark in the build up to the Phil Davis fight, and there was a month in 2011 where the MMA community rallied behind Tito Ortiz at his expense. A large portion of the MMA community were also lukewarm to his feud with Jon Jones. But by the time his career hit the skids in 2014, he had generally become liked by MMA fans. 

His resume speaks for itself. I think his best moments were the legendary knockout of Liddell, the grappling masterclass he put on against Davis, and the comeback victory against Griffin. He is also probably the best fighter to have won The Ultimate Fighter reality show. However, his relevance to the sport should additionally not be overlooked. He was one of the biggest names in the UFC's initial boom period, and while I don't quite get as nostalgic for that era as I do for Pride's later years, it was an era where I was deeply invested in the sport. He will be remembered as part of that era. His dismal performances in the McGregor/Rousey era will largely be overlooked. 

So aye, a richly deserved addition to the UFC HOF. He would have been a glaring omission had he been passed over for induction. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah it’s baffling. It’s not even like a BJ Penn situation where his life is spectacularly going off the rails or a Chuck Liddell thing where fighting is all he ever knew and he was never really cut out for being mic/desk guy. Like you said, Rashad is ideal for a pundit/analyst or even colour commentary gig. He’s got the personality and charisma and ability to talk plus the credibility of being a former UFC champ himself. He’s also gone through TUF, been a top coach at Blackzilians and had the highs and lows and lengthy injury layoffs that mean he’s basically seen and experienced it all when it comes to fighting. From all angles - fighter, coach, cornerman, from TUFer to world champion, the lot. He’s got a perspective on MMA combined with the ability to speak well that pretty much nobody else has. 

I know MMA/Boxing retirements rarely stick but of all the MMA retirees over the last few years, him and Bisping were the two I actually believed in. They’re both intelligent enough, have other options to continue to make a living in the sport and have achieved more than enough to be proud of. It’s why the timing seemed so perfect for them both to go in the HOF this summer. Listening to Rashad after he retired, it genuinely felt like he’d accepted it, had mentally turned the page on that chapter of his life and was happy to move on. Whether he’s still got that urge to compete in his system or he’s just not content to walk away from the spotlight or money etc, fuck knows.

No doubt De La Hoya will be on the phone to him this week to sort out those rematches with Tito and Chuck that the world has been clamouring for. 

Edited by wandshogun09