UFC 239: Jones vs Santos - Jul 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I do think Khabib will lose before Jones though. It's easier to picture Khabib losing at present time. I can see Khabib eventually going the way of Cain and fading due to injury. AKA are notorious for working their fighters hard to the point where their body starts to break down. Moreover, Tony Ferguson might prove to be the better fighter. 

I'm not even sure if his training will play a part, I think it's more about the fact that he seems like he's accomplished what he came to do. Undefeated, world champion in the top promotion.

I'm not sure how much training he's doing these days, as those who have followed his Instagram and social media (like me) have probably seen the shift in focus from a guy who trains like a beast and is all about competition, to someone who's using his newfound fame and popularity to further other aspects of his life.

I honestly don't know if he still has the drive now. Don't get me wrong, an unmotivated Khabib is still very fucking good, but without that edge there's a chance he could get caught out I think.

I wouldn't have even dreamed of saying that before the McG fight.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Quite a few, including HBO's official scorer, even had Castillo winning. 

B77-C05-E5-7-AD5-4643-AEA8-9141123-D2-D0

JIM!!!

Did you forget Harold Lederman’s name, Jim? You of all people. He never forgot yours. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

A lot of media outlets, including Sherdog and MMA Weekly, also felt he lost against Tibau. 

I dont recall that fight? might need to go back and watch that one.

• Paid Members

I know I watched it at the time (it was on the Anderson vs Chael 2 undercard) but I’ve got zero memory of it now. I’ve read a few times that Tibau got robbed but I rarely agree with the outcries of robbery. To some fans ‘close fight’ automatically equals ‘robbery’. 

Just had a quick look back at the thread from the event. You did see it @Egg Shen, here’s what you put at the time.

On 7/9/2012 at 11:19 AM, Egg Shen said:

i forgot to mention the Nurmagomedov/Tibau fight on the prelims. The fight was a perfect example of Joe Rogan becoming totally blind to one man's offence. He was so in love with what Tibau was doing (which wasn't much) that he completely dismissed Nurmagomedov was doing to the point where he thought Tibau had clearly won a decision. I had it scored 30-27 for the Russian, which is how the judge scored it.It's all well and good defending takedown's, but doing nothing when the fight is actually kept standing doesn't win you a fight.

Unless you got it wildly wrong, it sounds like another case of Rogan-bias swaying a lot of folk. Reminds me of when Aldo was going to rematch Chad Mendes and everyone was banging on that Mendes was schooling him the first time until Aldo kept grabbing the fence and KO’d him. Rogan used to go on about it for years on his podcast. Went back and watched it before the rematch and Aldo fucking bossed it pretty much start to finish, did grab the fence maybe once but nothing like Rogan and others retold it for years. Rogan-bias is real. 

Edited by wandshogun09

The live crowd felt that Tibau won. 

Official result: All three judges score the bout 30-27 for the winner by unanimous decision, Khabib Nurmagomedov. The crowd boos the baffling verdict as Nurmagomedov tears up. Tibau looks rightfully incredulous when the winner’s name is read.

The three Sherdog judges all scored it to Tibau as well. In fact, none of them gave Khabib a round outright. https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-148-Results-Live-PlaybyPlay-Updates-44001

From what I have read, it was a difficult fight to score. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

So, is anyone here actually paying for this?

No, I'll still watch it the next day providing my usual destinations don't come up dry.

The orders are bound to be incredibly low for these. If even us lot who are way down the rabbit hole won't pay extra on top of the subscription for it, I don't know who will be paying. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Seems it’s the way it’s going in the UK at the moment. Boxing’s the same. Saw an advert on ITV last night for Pacquiao vs Thurman and thought ‘sweet, it must be on ITV4’, like a few other recent US fights have been. No. ITV Box Office. Almost any fight that’s even half decent now is getting a £20 charge slapped on top. Sky, BT, ITV, greedy bastards the lot of them. 

Correction, Pac-Thurman is £12.95. Still, they’re not getting a penny from me. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 7/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I know I watched it at the time (it was on the Anderson vs Chael 2 undercard) but I’ve got zero memory of it now. I’ve read a few times that Tibau got robbed but I rarely agree with the outcries of robbery. To some fans ‘close fight’ automatically equals ‘robbery’. 

Just had a quick look back at the thread from the event. You did see it @Egg Shen, here’s what you put at the time.

Unless you got it wildly wrong, it sounds like another case of Rogan-bias swaying a lot of folk. Reminds me of when Aldo was going to rematch Chad Mendes and everyone was banging on that Mendes was schooling him the first time until Aldo kept grabbing the fence and KO’d him. Rogan used to go on about it for years on his podcast. Went back and watched it before the rematch and Aldo fucking bossed it pretty much start to finish, did grab the fence maybe once but nothing like Rogan and others retold it for years. Rogan-bias is real. 

ahh nice Wand. this forum acts like a 'fight diary' for us lot 😄 i have zero recollection of watching or writing about that but i clearly did.

Its also interesting to see opinions before guys broke big. Khabib at that point was clearly just another Russian in the UFC and Rogan was likely in his stiff-for-Tibau stage when he we spent most of the time marvelling over the mans physique or how he makes 155.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Seems it’s the way it’s going in the UK at the moment. Boxing’s the same. Saw an advert on ITV last night for Pacquiao vs Thurman and thought ‘sweet, it must be on ITV4’, like a few other recent US fights have been. No. ITV Box Office. Almost any fight that’s even half decent now is getting a £20 charge slapped on top. Sky, BT, ITV, greedy bastards the lot of them. 

Correction, Pac-Thurman is £12.95. Still, they’re not getting a penny from me. 

yeh, the timing of the events put me off paying. I'll buy the middle of the night job but its so easy sleep the night then get a hold of these things the day after that it makes it pretty hard to justify the money.

In prime UK time never entirely against PPV because i love watching live fights on a Saturday night. A lot of people shit on it, but i'll likely buy the Whyte/Rivas PPV in 2 weeks for example.

• Paid Members

The PPV thing is definitely going to be a problem, I think. There was some discussion of this over on On-Topic about AEW, and whilst I understand that we've actually been spoiled getting things for free, I think a big part of why that was was simply because of the time those PPVs were on. It becomes a consideration that you have to make a decision as to what you're prioritising: 

1. If it's maximum eyeballs on the product, in which case you either have it for free in countries where live viewing would be at a really inconvenient hour, or you put it on at a time that works for as many people as possible, say during the day on Sunday or Saturday, or on Saturday evening

2. If you're looking for maximum profit, then for an American company the home market's the biggest, and they should have it on their usual time, and charge full whack for it - but then don't be surprised when a large number of UK fans aren't prepared to spend a chunk watching a product that makes it even more difficult to get up for work tomorrow.

1 hour ago, David said:

I always figured that any PPV show on UK television would either be a UK event, or a McGregor event. To actually do it with a run of the mill US-based PPV is insane.

TBF The July 4th PPV is one of the 'Big Ones' (alongside New years eve, November).

I have always saw it as pretty much their Wrestlemania, look at some of the past headliners;

2018-Miocic vs. Cormier

2016-UFC 200

2015-Mcgregor v Mendes (was supposed to Aldo)

2014-Weidman v Machida, Rousey

2013-Silva v Weidman

2012-Silva v Sonnen 2

2011 Cruz v Faber