UFC 239: Jones vs Santos - Jul 6 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Not sure where Askren goes from here if he fights again.

You're not sure where one of the more marketable and personable fighters in the game goes after taking his very first loss in what was a wacky fight? Seriously? It's not as though he got picked apart on the feet and made to look old, or that he couldn't get his takedown game working. He got cracked by a knee within 5 seconds. Shit happens.

Aside from that, it was arguablyย an early stoppage. He was clearly giving the official the thumbs-up to let him know he was fine:

9fb6c6b3-9052-4e44-9a78-8caedea65884-ori

1 minute ago, David said:

You're not sure where one of the more marketable and personable fighters in the game goes after taking his very first loss in what was a wacky fight? Seriously? It's not as though he got picked apart on the feet and made to look old๏ปฟ, or that he couldn't get his takedown game working. He got cracked by a knee within 5 seconds. Shit happens.

No, I'm not sure. Maybe he gets right back into the mix, maybe he gets a lower ranked opponent, maybe he just knocks it on the head and buggers off. Whether this was a fluke or note, its derailed him massively.

As I said, my preference would be to see him against another elite grappler. I also think you could make the case for Askren vs the loser of Lawler vs Colby. You either get the Lawler rematch which would have a ton of intrigue or a fight between 2 guys who would go all out in the build up.

He's been on Twitter saying that he fully deserves the shit he's getting for losing, seems to be taking it all in his stride. You can't play the PR game the way he does without running the risk of it biting you on the arse at some point.

I don't actually think it'll derail him all that much. It's one loss.ย If he gets someone like the loser of Colby vs Lawler he's right back in the mix. Him versus Colby would make for an excellent build, even if the fight itself may not be all that great, and it wouldn't be long before we've all forgotten the knee from Gangsta Jesus and we're buying into the Askren promo stuff again.

He isn't fighting someone like Nelson or Maia, he's here for the top fights, and those aren't top guys. He gains nothing from outwrestling either of those guys for a decision win.

• Paid Members

The Till fight makes the most sense.

The thing with Askren is his undefeated record was completely overshadowed by his personality. Unlike most fighters, he does the extra work to get people invested in his fights (and is good at it). Someone like that will always get a spot.

• Paid Members

True. Thatโ€™s what always kept Chael Sonnen in the big fights as well. Even if heโ€™d just lost a fight badly, you could always bet heโ€™d be generatingย interest in some kind of meaningful name fight soon after. Askrenโ€™s a lotย like that too.ย 

He's scheduled to be on Helwani's show today, and was confirmed this morning so it'll be interesting to hear what he says. I'd be incredibly shocked if he didn't just hold his hands up, admit he got caught cold and paid the price. He doesn't seem like the type who'd be mentally beaten by something like this.

• Paid Members

I think the Till fight makes sense for both men. Either Askren or Till will get back on track in a really meaningful way with a win. Till dropping three in a row would be a bad look for him, and maybe a risk not worth taking, but there are very few gimmes at welterweight that's for sure. There's certainly none in the top 15. A lot of them could beat the top three or four men in the division, if given the opportunity.

It depends where things fall between Colby and Lawler In a lot of ways but I like the look of:

Usman Vs Colby (If Trump's coffee fetcher beats Robbie L)

Colby/Usman Vs Masvidal (Masvidal is mad if he accepts another fight in the next few months other than a title fight. If by January they haven't offered him anything then maybe re-evaluate. Or maybe one Nathan Diaz. Who wouldn't watch the shit out of that)

Usman Vs Masvidal (Should Lawler beat Colby)

Askren Vs Till (let both men take a long, long lay off as well after those brutal knockouts)

RDA Vs Edwards (booked)

Diaz Vs Pettis (booked)

Thompson Vs Maia/Ponzinibio (I'm not sure Thompson ever get's near a title fight again, and Maia won't, so some combination of those three I think could either give Ponz a good scalp, or Wonderboy Vs Maia doesn't eliminate other potential contenders. )

Woodley Vs whoever is left that isn't a re-match whenever his hand is healed. Preferably Colby if Lawler wallops him, but really just somebody fresh that might ignite a fire under him after his last performance.ย 

Writing that out, whilst pointless, was just fun to take a look at some of the names at 170 and the amount of interesting fights there are out there. That's before you even mention Neil Magny, Vicente Luque, Gunnar Nelson, Cowboy Oliviera, Mike Perry, EZ Dos Santos, Kevin Lee, Michael Chiesa etc. What a fucking murderer's row it really is.ย 

• Paid Members

And Vicente Luque vs Mike Perry is signed for the Uruguay show.ย 

Just remembered as well, wasnโ€™t Masvidal vs Nick Diaz pretty much agreed to for a PPV earlier this year before Diaz went all Diaz and disappeared back into his weed cloud? Imagine that fight.ย