UFC 239: Jones vs Santos - Jul 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This card just got a bit less stacked.

DON’T WORRY IT’S NOT JON JONES! 

Just posted this in the MMA News thread but I suppose it belongs here; 

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

MMAJunkie are reporting that the JDS vs Ngannou fight has been moved from UFC 239 and will now top the Fight Night in Minneapolis that was meant to be headlined by Woodley vs Lawler 2. 

Probably for the best. 239 is stacked enough that it can afford to lose Junior vs Francis and Lawler isn’t hit with a late opponent switch. 

There was no shortage of welterweights offering to step up and fight Lawler so I’m guessing he’ll have a fight booked on one of the summer cards soon. Santiago Ponzinibbio, Leon Edwards, Darren Till, Mike Perry, Vicente Luque are all likely in the running. Probably a few I’ve forgot as well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn’t look like it’s been mentioned, but watching the 238 prelims and they had an ad break after the first fight, which had a BT advert saying UFC 239 is on their box office channel, rather than one of the normal ones 😞

Edited by FourtyTwo

• Paid Members

DAZN Daz posted it in the MMA News thread yesterday but I guess it belongs here anyway. 

It’s bollocks. And as much as I love MMA and as much as I love this card, I’m not paying for it. I don’t have a massive problem paying for a great card but when it’s announced just days after I get an email telling me my BT Sport subscription is going up a few quid (Again. Seems like they hike the price up a bit every 6 months), but I’m not getting anything more for my extra few quid, then they want £20 on top of that for this? A show which won’t even start until 3am. They can suck that £20 from my arsehole. UFC is literally the only reason I even have BT Sport, apart from the occasional Fish Eyes boxing show. Paying £30-odd a month for that, or whatever the subscription is at the moment, is already a bit much really. 

Like Supremo said in the other thread, I think they’re overestimating how well this will do. If they’re expecting Anthony Joshua numbers they’re in for a nasty shock. Joshua attracts viewers from outside the bubble. There’s people who buy his fights who don’t watch another boxing match all year. This is a fantastic card but you’re not going to get many people who are willing to pay £20 for a show that starts at 3am, doesn’t finish until 6am and doesn’t have a Conor McGregor or any UK/Irish fighters on it. 

I’ll be cancelling my BT sport now, the quality of cards have been dropping over the last couple or years since the takeover. 

I have a BT subscription purely for the UFC and if all the good cards are going on PPV then I’m really not getting anything for my money.

what a shame, I’ve always thought BT did a good job with the UFC ..until now 

• Paid Members

Now that it’s an actual Pay Per View, I wonder if they’ll still crowbar advert breaks in, forcing the UK viewers to miss part of the show? We missed the Hall of Fame announcement on Saturday because of their insistence on show those three adverts over and over again. Surely they wouldn’t have the cheek to still do those ad breaks if they’re expecting people to pay an extra twenty quid?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

There's no chance I'm paying £20 for a PPV unless I can stay up live for it, which is going to be beyond rare. Years ago I didn't mind, when I could record it, but these days that's not an option for me, and I'm not paying for the privilege of going on BT's app the next day and having the results spoiled for me before I get a chance to turn on the show I'd have had to pay the extra money for. 

• Paid Members
On 6/9/2019 at 10:50 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Like Supremo said in the other thread, I think they’re overestimating how well this will do. If they’re expecting Anthony Joshua numbers they’re in for a nasty shock. Joshua attracts viewers from outside the bubble. There’s people who buy his fights who don’t watch another boxing match all year. This is a fantastic card but you’re not going to get many people who are willing to pay £20 for a show that starts at 3am, doesn’t finish until 6am and doesn’t have a Conor McGregor or any UK/Irish fighters on it. 

well BT have also lumped the Tyson Fury/Tom Schwarz fight on PPV this weekend for £20 which comes with nothing noteworthy on the undercard for a British boxing fan. They're optimistic if nothing else.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Sadly, this was always going to happen after word got back to them about how well the May-Mac fight did over here. Although, in the short term, outside of a Conor fight or maybe DC v Jones 3, I can't see any of these doing much business.

I get decent value out my BT sub, so I'm less bothered about cancelling, even if it is rubbish the days of watching the shows Sunday morning on my telly with little fuss is over. However, it's not exactly a hardship to find the shows the next day on the WWW computer. Particularly if you've got something like the Emby app.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

More on the BT/PPV thing here. Apparently ‘a minimum of four numbered UFC events will be on BT Box Office’. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/ufc/1140487/UFC-BT-Sport-Box-Office-Pay-Per-View-Dave-Shaw-UFC-News-And-Rumours/amp

I assume they will put either the Khabib vs Poirier card or the DC vs Miocic card on PPV. However, those two cards happen within weeks of one another. So I can imagine that one of those cards will not be PPV.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

The DC vs Stipe card is more stacked at the moment with Diaz vs Pettis and Romero vs Costa on the undercard. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they go with Khabib vs Poirier on PPV depending on what time that show happens. Abu Dhabi shows are usually in line with UK time aren’t they? I remember watching Big Nog get sparked by Roy Nelson live at like 7pm or something. If it’s on in the evening here, they might get more buys so maybe they go with that. Or they might just be greedy shits and try charging for both. Remember, this is a channel that charged PPV for both Fury vs Wilder and Frampton vs Warrington within weeks of each other. They don’t seem fussed about asking you to fork out twice in the same month on top of the ever increasing subscription.