WWE to BT Sport?

Hannibal Scorch

18 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

When did the WWF start on Sky? There's a TV listing out there from 1984 that lists wrestling on Sky channel that people seem to assume is WWF. Did they get on there right from the promotion going national in the US? 

Sky tweeted out earlier saying it was a 30 year partnership.

Does anyone remember WWF Classics on Sky Sports? Used to be on in the evenings, and as a kid I'd always get excited thinking Sky could go into their vaults and chuck on some really, really decent pre Attitude-era matches but it was always choc full of 80s squash matches, I think from MSG and I think nearly all pre-WrestleMania. I always found it odd why they put it out there considering it aired at a time most people tuning in were used to 3 stages of hell and Trish barking like a dog, and surely Sky could have put out anything from the fed's library. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Does anyone remember WWF Classics on Sky Sports? Used to be on in the evenings, and as a kid I'd always get excited thinking Sky could go into their vaults and chuck on some really, really decent pre Attitude-era matches but it was always choc full of 80s squash matches, I think from MSG and I think nearly all pre-WrestleMania. I always found it odd why they put it out there considering it aired at a time most people tuning in were used to 3 stages of hell and Trish barking like a dog, and surely Sky could have put out anything from the fed's library. 

I’m almost certain WWE were putting that show together, not Sky 

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’m almost certain WWE were putting that show together, not Sky 

Makes sense! I wonder did it do the numbers. As far as I remember it wouldn't have been a decent reflection of what made them pop over here during the Hulkamania era. Possible tea time grab on their own version of World of Sport nostalgia, perhaps. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Makes sense! I wonder did it do the numbers. As far as I remember it wouldn't have been a decent reflection of what made them pop over here during the Hulkamania era. Possible tea time grab on their own version of World of Sport nostalgia, perhaps. 

I am pretty sure we got it because one of the other shows they had was cancelled and they have to provide so many hours of programming per week as per the contract at the time. May have been WWE Confidential

• Paid Members

IIRC, the Classics slot showed :

- a calendar year of WWF programming from 81 or 82

- a calendar year of WWF Superstars from 86 or 87

- a calendar year of WCW Worldwide from 92, which was obviously the best

(One of those rolled over a bit into the following year, maybe the WCW show?)

- it then morphed into a themed clip show hosted initially by Mean Gene, then Gene and Renee Young which I think lasted until the beginning of the current WWE/Sky deal which runs out today.

Someone probably has a highly detailed record of what was shown, but that's my recollection.

1 hour ago, Statto said:

IIRC, the Classics slot showed :

- a calendar year of WWF programming from 81 or 82

- a calendar year of WWF Superstars from 86 or 87

- a calendar year of WCW Worldwide from 92, which was obviously the best

(One of those rolled over a bit into the following year, maybe the WCW show?)

- it then morphed into a themed clip show hosted initially by Mean Gene, then Gene and Renee Young which I think lasted until the beginning of the current WWE/Sky deal which runs out today.

Someone probably has a highly detailed record of what was shown, but that's my recollection.

Aha, you're right! That's brought it all back. I completely forgot they used to show Worldwide, which was utterly hilarious as a youngster because you'd have all sorts show up on it.