WWE to BT Sport?

Hannibal Scorch

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
3 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

There's some proper dribblers in that comment thread. "No more wrestling for me", "Looks like I won't be watching from 2020"- give over, you don't watch it anyway and only hate watch 30 minute highlight shows on Youtube anyway.

Well I don't have BT Sports so I won't be watching is another favourite. I don't have Sky so I don't watch it, now I can. That's what happens. BT Sport is pretty cheap if you have BT Broadband anyway, too many people are comfortable in the Sky bubble. I used to be. But I was paying over £70 for TV and broadband back in the day and I left and never looked back. The only stuff I miss on Sky anyway is on Atlantic, and I'll just buy a months NOW TV pass if I want. Honestly, I cannot believe in the days of NOW TV being available and cheap, people still pay over £100 to sky for the full package. Madness

A watershed moment for wrestling telly over here. I have so many memories of pestering my (skint) Mam to get Sky so I could watch Raw and PPV's in the mid to late 90's like everyone normal.

Sports channels picture were scrambled on Cable link basic in Dublin, but audio wasn't, so I used to listen to Raw on Friday nights and tape the audio of PPV's and listen back before school on Monday mornings, getting up at 5.30am. Distinctly remember being so excited getting up to listen to Mania 17 and being shocked by Austin's turn. I'd make up the rest by watching Superstars, Metal, Heat and the edited version of SD where they gutted the violence and strobe lighting with crowd shots from 1998.

We got Sky Digital with sports in summer 01 to my delight, but bill regularly went unpaid so was a crap shoot when Sky would turn us off. Nowadays I don't even watch the full shows on watch wrestling or the network, which 13 year old audio listening me would be very angry about!

Weird not having WWE on sky all the same. I used to love the stock soundtrack that Sky Sports would play after a live PPV. Great memories of the sun coming up as it played after summer PPV's , as I snuck off back to bed.

• Paid Members

We didn't get Sky until I started work in 1999 and paid for it myself. Used to beg, borrow and (not really) steal up to then. Between 97-99 I had a couple of good mates who'd tape PPVs pretty religiously for us and Raw quite often. That was absolute gold for us because we'd been pretty much blacked out from 94-97 relying on home videos. In early 1997 I used to babysit for some kids and I'd get to tape Superstars on a Staurday and take it home for my brothers, that was a big way back in too.

Early 90s were a lottery. Then around early 93, my older cousin introduced us to a friend who was a huge fan. She'd tape stuff, lend us old tapes and she took my little brothers to a show with Davey Boy Smith (I was away in Corfu and gutted I missed it). After WM X, my cousin fell out with this lass and we never saw her again. I've never forgiven my cousin!

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, DCW said:

A watershed moment for wrestling telly over here. I have so many memories of pestering my (skint) Mam to get Sky so I could watch Raw and PPV's in the mid to late 90's like everyone normal.

I remember sitting cross legged on the floor watching King of the Ring '96 on that cable link split screen thing on Cablelink channel 0 or whatever it was. Basically a screen with about 12 panels showing what was on each channel with no audio. Think my Ma felt sorry for me and convinced my Da to get Sky in for us, despite being broke and living in the worst area of Ballyfermot. Got rid in '98 or so, so it was back to Livewire and Superstars on a Saturday and Sunday.

Listened to the scrambled PPVs right up until 2002. Think No Way Out that year might have been the final one.

Edited by Wretch

• Awards Moderator

Begging parents to upgrade to Sky Sports was a big part of my wrestling fandom growing up too. You knew they'd done a good job building up a PPV when I was willing to endure the "why do you still watch that rubbish, haven't you grown out of it yet" talk in the hope they'd give in for a month (and not turn off the video recorder (set to Long Play for one night) or Sky box before they went to bed so it recorded properly). I can't imagine, even without the Network, any kid being the same level of desperate to see Stomping Grounds.

WWE being on Sky One was a huge part in getting me hooked back in in 2000. On the months we wouldn't have Sky Sports (which, to be honest, was almost all of them - I normally got to see Summerslam, until 2004 when JBL was headlining and Benoit was due to lose to 'IC Title level in my mind' Randy Orton and I didn't bother asking - and that was about it), I was kept hooked by their weekend mornings full of wrestling, with the rare treat of occasionally going away for a weekend and staying in a hotel that had Sky so I could watch an episode of Raw.

Going away to uni in '05 orrelated with a dip in WWE interest purely for lack of Sky, and the Wrestling Channel had by then opened my eyes to the fact I could order ROH DVDs and watch them instead.

I haven't had Sky myself since, and the parents got rid of it completely a couple of years ago when I showed them everything they wanted to watch was on Now TV. I've tried to even out their paying for me to watch WWE as a kid by paying for their Now TV and Netflix, but the days of Smackers on a Saturday are long gone. I can't say I'll miss WWE on Sky, because I haven't watched it through that in probably a decade or more, and I can't say I'll be picking up BT for it, because I won't be, but there's a nostalgia there. I 'member.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I can't imagine, even without the Network, any kid being the same level of desperate to see Stomping Grounds.

Of course they will be. I'd have cut off my right arm to have seen In Your House 5. Kids are stoopid.