Holy Grail

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RancidPunx said:

Whatā€™s the ā€œnever had a date in high school line about ā€œ?

Ā 

Based on the timing (and the steroid line), I'm pretty sure it's a reference to Luger interviews with the media during the Lex Express tour when they were trying to make him a likable, safe character.

Clearly Bret did a good job making him look like a star, to the point that Vince was like ā€œTom Magee! WWWWWOOOOOW!ā€, but watching that match I thoughtĀ Magee did well for himself considering that heā€™d only been wrestling a year and that was his first match in over 6 months. According to Cagematch.net, Magee had his debut match for Stampede Wrestling in October 1985, and his match previous to the Bret match was March 1986, again for Stampede. Heā€™s obviously green as anything, but you see far worse even today.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Great match that. Absolute madness seeing a guy that size doing fucking Tiger Mask backflips and all sorts. I know he ended up not being able to put a dent in a cream cake with his strikes or whatever but he didn't look lost out there at all. Train him properly and you'd have had a star. Looks like Scott Walker now, aswell. Or at least what Scott Walker looked like before he died.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed that. Like X-PacĀ said, youĀ have to think McGeeĀ still couldā€™veĀ been a big star down the line, despite his shortcomings. The look was there for sure and hisĀ athleticism was off the charts as well. For how green he was here, even with Bret polishing a turd, he still had bags of raw potential. Heā€™d surely have only got better with time and Iā€™m sure he couldā€™ve had more good matches with Bret, DiBiase, Perfect, Rude, Savage etc over the next few years. He might not have caught on like the UltimateĀ Warrior because Warrior was a cartoon character come to life, but heĀ had the body of theĀ Warrior but with real freaky athletic ability to go with it. He mustā€™ve been having some right rotten matches on the house shows after this Bret match for VinceĀ to go from ā€˜Heā€™s my next championā€™ to completely losing interest. Shame because he does seem a nice guy as others said.Ā 

Oh and I love this;

Was Hart vs McGee 2 in 89 (?)Ā filmed, anyone know? I know this 86 matchĀ was the one that everyone talked about but I wouldnā€™t mind seeing the second match sometime if the footage exists.
Edited by wandshogun09

41 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Really enjoyed that. Like X-PacĀ said, youĀ have to think he still couldā€™veĀ been a big star down the line, despite his shortcomings. The look was there for sure and hisĀ athleticism was off the charts as well. For how green he was here, even with Bret polishing a turd, he still had bags of raw potential. Heā€™d surely have only got better with time and Iā€™m sure he couldā€™ve had more good matches with Bret, DiBiase, Perfect, Rude, Savage etc over the next few years. He might not have caught on like the UltimateĀ Warrior because Warrior was a cartoon character come to life, but heĀ had the body of theĀ Warrior but with real freaky athletic ability to go with it. He mustā€™ve been having some right rotten matches on the house shows after this Bret match for VinceĀ to go from ā€˜Heā€™s my next championā€™ to completely losing interest. Shame because he does seem a nice guy as others said.Ā 

Oh and I love this;

Was Hart vs McGee 2 in 89 (?)Ā filmed, anyone know? I know this 86 matchĀ was the one that everyone talked about but I wouldnā€™t mind seeing the second match sometime if the footage exists.

Again according to Cagematch:

* After the Bret match he didnā€™t wrestle again in 86. HeĀ had a handful of matches with Terry Gibbs, Barry O and Iron Mike Sharpe on House shows January through March 87, then May through July he made more matches with Gibbs, Tiger Chun Lee and Ron BassĀ as well as a Dark MatchĀ against Magnificent Muroco

* Nothing after July 87 till January 88 when he had three matches against Iron Mike Sharpe before being packed off to All Japan in March.

* Nothing fromMay 88 till December when he had the matches with Arn Anderson and Ted Dibiase, nothing till April 89 through July he was working with Tim Horner andĀ Jim Powers. Last WWF match was July 29th 89. There is no listing for a match with Bret from 1989, Ā but based on photosĀ it definitely happened.

* Had 2 match for Arena Wrestling Alliance in New Zealand in April 1990, and that was himdone with wrestling after that

Edited by WyattSheepMask

19 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Really enjoyed that. Like X-PacĀ said, youĀ have to think McGeeĀ still couldā€™veĀ been a big star down the line, despite his shortcomings. The look was there for sure and hisĀ athleticism was off the charts as well. For how green he was here, even with Bret polishing a turd, he still had bags of raw potential. Heā€™d surely have only got better with time and Iā€™m sure he couldā€™ve had more good matches with Bret, DiBiase, Perfect, Rude, Savage etc over the next few years. He might not have caught on like the UltimateĀ Warrior because Warrior was a cartoon character come to life, but heĀ had the body of theĀ Warrior but with real freaky athletic ability to go with it. He mustā€™ve been having some right rotten matches on the house shows after this Bret match for VinceĀ to go from ā€˜Heā€™s my next championā€™ to completely losing interest. Shame because he does seem a nice guy as others said.Ā 

Oh and I love this;

Ā 

It was at a TV taping (in Lacrosse, WI on 16th May 1989) so it probably was filmed, but no footage is out there. According to Bret himself the match wasn't very good anyway:Ā https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/8fo8lz/met_bret_hart_today_talked_about_bret_vs_magee_ii/

Ā 

Edited by Maikeru