I didn't know I wanted...

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Listening to an old New Gen podcast, someone suggests Scotty Steiner could have got the Lex Express push in 1993. That thought has never entered my mind and yet as soon as I heard it I knew I wanted it so much. Scotty with his physique, his backgroud and his ring work would have been fucking dynamite in that role. He couldn't talk for shit but nor could Luger.

Anything ever occur to you that way?

• Paid Members

Reading Dan Severn's book, he mentions being at the same college as Dr Death Steve Williams, and how Williams was one of the best amateur wrestlers he'd ever seen, even though he never committed fully to it and just did it as a bit of an extra work-out alongside football.

In that moment, I visualised a Severn/Williams tag team in the Williams & Gordy mold - tearing it up in AJPW, trading big fuck-off suplexes with the Steiners in WCW, and so on, and never wanted anything more.

24 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Listening to an old New Gen podcast, someone suggests Scotty Steiner could have got the Lex Express push in 1993. That thought has never entered my mind and yet as soon as I heard it I knew I wanted it so much. Scotty with his physique, his backgroud and his ring work would have been fucking dynamite in that role. He couldn't talk for shit but nor could Luger.

Sticking with Scott, I think it was the SCG podcast guys that fantasy booked Steiner to end Goldberg's streak. The idea of Goldberg keeping undefeated though 1999, taking down Nash and Bret and whatnot along the way, all while Scotty is being built as the unstoppable heel. Steiner vs Goldberg at Starrcade with the big fight feel and a clean win. Sounds tremendous.

• Awards Moderator

I remember seeing the card for some Indy show once, which had the usual big names of the time like Samoa Joe and Daniel Bryan on, but also nostalgia acts from the WWE golden era. It made me realise that I really, really, for some reason, for some unknown, unknown reason, really wanted to see Samoa Joe vs Kamala. I’m still convinced it would have been ace.

Samoa Joe v Scott Steiner was fantastic in TNA, as was Steiners v Dudley Boys.  His run generally in TNA was so great, it makes you wonder what WWE could have done with him if they'd used him properly, and he's been in ring shape.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Bruce Prichard said there was serious talk of getting BPP in the early 90s and giving him that super push. Apparently there was serious consideration given to the idea of hiring Steiner and having him win the Rumble on his debut. Shame.

I wish the Nexus was full of the sort of talent NXT now has. Imagine that mob with the likes of a younger Joe, AJ, Nakamura in it. Cena would probably still be silly enough to have one of them tap at Summer Slam, but WWE got a lot of mileage out of a really average bunch with a good talker.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Just seen something about Luke Harper having backstage heat with Braun Strowman. Now a really want a program between the two of them. Massive stare down before they kick the shit out of each other. Perfect 

• Paid Members
On 5/13/2019 at 10:23 PM, ColinBollocks said:

Bruce Prichard said there was serious talk of getting BPP in the early 90s and giving him that super push. Apparently there was serious consideration given to the idea of hiring Steiner and having him win the Rumble on his debut. Shame.

Absolutely, he covered this on one of his Something To Wrestle podcasts. Him and the others (I'm guessing that would've just been him and Pat?) were really on board with it, having him win the Rumble and be crowned the next star at Wrestlemania. That would've been ace in my books.

It was Mania 9 I think wasn't it? Vince poo-pooed the idea eventually. My god, he'd have had a much better shot at becoming the top guy than Lex did. Scotty was super over with the WWF crowd back then, the pop he'd get from the Frankensteiner and he was a lot more likeable to fans. Lex always looked smarmy, whereas Scott looked like a true representation of a young, bright future (much like Bret - who wasn't even young - did too).

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It was Mania 9 I think wasn't it? Vince poo-pooed the idea eventually. 

Did he explain why Vince decided against it, in the end? I can't recall if he gave a reason for it.

Steiner is definitely one of those talents you wish got the WWF treatment. Of course, it worked out in WCW, but you fancy Steiner would have made an incredible opponent for Stone Cold when the late 90s came around. He'd have eaten that shot Dr Death took too.

• Paid Members

I really can't recall any reason why Vince didn't want it, which probably means there wasn't one. OR it could've had something to do with his WBF/Lex love-in, but then again you'd think Vinnie Mac would love Steiner's physique anyway.

Was there something back then about how Scott & Rick came as a package deal?

I know it didn't relate to 2002 but in the early 90's i'm sure I heard something like that on that podcast, could completely wrong though.

So if they pushed Scott to the top they wouldn't have anything for Rick to do?

I do agree though, Scott in that role would have been incredible, a proper "all American babyface" which is obviously what they wanted back then to take over from Hogan.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Another I heard from the SCG lot i didn't know I wanted: prime Randy Savage in Attitude era WWF as a heel opponent for Austin. Imagine the promos. The intensity!

I think it was Kenny McBride on here who back in the mid-2000s used to talk about how we missed out on that. 

To be fair, prime Savage would've been a tremendous opponent for a lot of guys. Imagine:

Savage vs. HHH

Savage vs. HBK

Savage vs. The Rock

Savage vs. Kane

Savage vs. Angle (although might have been too injured and broken down by the time Angle came in)

Savage vs. Owen Hart