UFC 238: Cejudo vs Moraes - Jun 8 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
On 6/9/2019 at 3:42 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Worst of all, in trying to find the fights to watch online I spoiled the main event for myself so just ended up looking up the results. So yeah, this was a balls-up on all fronts for me. 

log onto the BT website with your details and theres a spoiler free UFC page (theres one for boxing too) with the events on demand. Bookmark that and watch the shows through that?

I suspect that the UFC will milk McGregor for all he is worth, unless he puts them in a position where they absolutely have to cut ties with him. The UFC have demonstrated that they are willing to tolerate behaviour from Conor that would have left 99% of other fighters unemployed. 

I think the UFC will try and book Conor vs Khabib 2 for the end of the 2019. If Conor somehow wins, the UFC's front office will probably be overjoyed. Even if Khabib mauls Conor again, which he most likely will, I still think the UFC will continue to go out of their way to do business with Conor. They could attempt to book him against Diaz again, or try and match him with Malignaggi in a boxing match. Those match-ups will attract a lot of attention and buys (although the latter match-up does feck all for me). There is also the possibility that Poirier will win the lightweight belt, and the UFC will look to book a rematch between them. 

I will be miffed if we do get McGregor vs Khabib 2 over Khabib vs Ferguson. While I have never taken to Ferguson as a person, he bloody deserves a title shot. Also, as others have said, Ferguson vs Khabib is a much more interesting match-up. The upshot of the repeated cancellation and postponements of the fight is that they have built up even more intrigue. Both men's resumes have slowly been padded. Both men's legends have steadily grown (although Khabib's aura is arguably bigger). Both men have continued to show attributes that make you think they could beat the other. I just hope it happens before Khabib's body breaks down, or Ferguson sustains a loss and gives Dana an excuse to remove him from title contention. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, David said:

I may be way off, but I think Cerrone blew his nose on purpose at the end of that round. Someone if his experience doesn't make that mistake, not a fucking chance. He also seemed far too upbeat after the fight was called.

I think he knew he wasn't winning that fight.

bit rich coming from the guy who labelled me a 'pitchfork disgruntled type' for suggesting that Anthony Joshua looked for a way out of the Ruiz fight last week ;)

But anyways, i dont think he did it on purpose, i can only ever recall an eye blowing up like that once before (Eddie Alvarez) and although its always spoken about being a strict no-no to blow your nose i dont Cowboy could have predicted it would blow up like it did, that thing was mental. It was a blessing in disguise though because as everyone's already pointed out, that 3rd round was going to be painful for him.

I wonder whether we might get a McGregor fight before he faces Khabib again?  In terms of booking, it will draw a good number, it would help sell the rematch and (to a small extent) protect McGregor when he inevitably loses and goes 0-2.  If he faces someone else in between, and puts in a good performance, it would likely boost the buys for the rematch as well as keeping some interest in him post-Khabib.

There's the obvious risk of him losing if he does fight beforehand, but I think there's more upside for both UFC and McGregor of doing it than the risk on the downside.

• Paid Members

I aint sure, who would you put him in with? I dont think the UFC has a logical gimme opponent to give Conor at this point. I think he waits for Khabib/Dustin to play out then calls his shot.

I'd throw him in there with someone like Pettis or something. I know Pettis looked decent in his last fight with Wonderboy, but he was losing that fight very clearly before he got in that one shot.

If he beats Diaz in August it's a no-brainer, surely? I can honestly see Pettis outpointing Diaz if he fights smart and doesn't get drawn into Nate's type of fight.

• Paid Members

From a promotional perspective, I'd say it'd probably be better for McGregor to have a more winnable fight to make himself look good and lessen the memory, if just a little, in people's minds of how Nurm battered him. One thing that can be said for McG is that a big part of his ability to hype fights is to somehow convince otherwise sensible people to temporarily stop trusting their own knowledge and buy into what he's saying, even when it's patently untrue, like the Mayweather fight for example.

I say "winnable", but only in comparison to Nurmagomedov. All the potential opponents I can think of for him still could derail him: Kevin Lee, Al Iaquinta, Edson Barboza, Justin Gaethje (although he might be the most winnable out of the top 10), Anthony Pettis, Donald Cerrone.

But his particular situation is the epitome of when instant rematches are a bad idea: Nurmagomedov destroyed him, old country way, made him completely hum-bel, broke his back and fucked his ass. There's no reason to believe, especially with McG's highly-publicised shitehawk behaviour that shows he probably hasn't improved much if at all, that the outcome will be any different.

• Paid Members

That’s the thing, McGregor doesn’t have them by the bollocks in the quite the same way as he once did. They want him back in the cage, obviously, but the PPV situation has changed and it’s not the be all-end all it used to be. It’s why we’ll be seeing Khabib vs Poirier in fucking Abu Dhabi at 6pm or something (won’t we? Or are they still going to have it on Yank timezone?) in September. 

15 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

log onto the BT website with your details and theres a spoiler free UFC page (theres one for boxing too) with the events on demand. Bookmark that and watch the shows through that?

It’s too late now anyway, I already had it spoiled, but thanks. If it happens again I’ll try that. Point is I shouldn’t have to. And I wouldn’t have had to if it recorded like I set it to. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Joe_the_Lion said:

Given the the UFC no longer receive PPV revenue I'm not sure a McGregor fight makes any economic sense for them.

I thought they were getting a consistent fee for all shows and, should it do proper business, they'll get a cut?

That's absolutely appalling for the fighters. It will be like the Reebok deal too, where the fighters with the PPV points (champs) don't get the proper compensation for it. No wonder Brock was more interested in listening to his Money in the Boombox than return under his current terms, minus PPV revenue.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I hadn't heard about this. What's happened with the PPV deal? Is this yet another example of their arrogant approach to business where they cut the best deal for them at the expense of their lower card fighters? Because if so, they clearly haven't learned the lesson from the Reebok deal. If they continue down this road, they'll end up eroding even their practically-invincible market recognition, and open things up for Bellator and One to capitalise on, getting all the better, if not the best, fighters in. And if what Collocks has just said is true, they'll have just pissed off the one section of their roster that they cannot afford to lose.

• Paid Members

@Carbomb ESPN+ is their exclusive PPV distributor in the US. They were negotiating with their previous providers but I've read ESPN offered them a big fee per show (I've read the equivalent of 250k buys per PPV).

The only fighters that will find it tough, if they aren't getting a PPV cut is the champs or those rare types that have it in their contracts (I assume Conor and maybe Brock). The rest of the roster only get their show/win/bonus money and two bob from Reebok. I assume, like Reebok, the UFC will pretend they'll give some of that ESPN fee to the fighters, but it will only be a tiny percentage of it. A big reason the UFC was so appealing to the new owners is such a tiny percentage of their revenue goes towards paying their fighters, and of course they had TV deals coming up that needed negotiated - again, a rise in money the fighters won't see.

It's like they need a proper fighters union, or something.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

It's like they need a proper fighters union, or something.

Applicable to pretty much every fucking job going, as far as I'm concerned.