Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy

Eurovision 2019: Tel Aviv

Semi Final 2 - Thursday May 16th - UK viewers can vote in this one.

8pm on BBC Four

Featuring~!

Better songs

Sergey Lazarev having another go for Russia

Malta channeling Boy George for the best banger in the competition (I even got a targeted ad to vote for it on YouTube)

Eurovision 2019: Second Semi-Final:

As I get further in there are less generic tunes turning up. Zero Gravity is a heck of a song. I could see that doing well as it does loads, especially if there's all kinds of stuff going on during the performance. Lake Malawi's song is nice. The one that has the guitar riff from Ordinary World by Duran Duran is alright. There's also some great Eurovision cheese turning up. 

I'm being forced to watch this kack for the first time in 41 years and just wanted to pop into this thread to say I hate it and I hate all of you. 

They made me sweat on Malta there.  Really tough semi to get out of though.  The Norwegian entry has grown on me "Oh locky lo lo."

Edited by johnnyboy

THE.  GRAND.  FINAL. - Tonight. 

8pm on BBC 1

My fridge is heaving under the weight of chickpea based snacks for tonight as I could fill a large paddling pool with hummus.  (Not keen on the look of the jalapeno hummus that Mrs JB stuck in the trolley tbh.)

Malta got screwed with the opening slot :(  10-22 has been the sweet spot for the last decade or so.  Dima Bilan for Russia in 2007 won with the penultimate performance of the night, but since then being in the middle has helped.  Hot favourite The Netherlands are in at 12 tonight, although I don't love it myself.  Switzerland and Norway have been the growers in Chez JB during Eurovision week, but Malta remains my blind listen fave.

I've seen Spurs get to a Champions League final this year, so the UK ending up on the left of the scoreboard should be a walk in the park...

Also, shout out to Israel for not doing the traditional host "please don't let us win again this year" tune.

The Mears household is firmly on Team Iceland tonight. We love people who sound like Daleks and blokes wearing bondage gear here in Wiltshire.

Edited by Gus Mears

For extra Eurovision goodness download the official app.  It has a nifty second screen feature that syncs with the live broadcast so you can see factoids about the performers while their song is on, if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by johnnyboy

I think they used to have something similar on the red button, and an option to have Ken Bruce instead of Graham Norton. They should get Peter Serafinowicz as Terry Wogan to present it nowadays. 

There was a singalong version on the red button one year, but it knocked it out of HD.

Went to a mates house. Typical eurovision drinking game. As always one of the housemates cannot handle more than two drinks and I'll probably get out of jail after the UK next wins. 

Edit: he's now head down in a bucket. Back to the fun

Edited by Shy Dad

Madonna was fucking awful. I mean, shes not really done anything decent since about 1995 (Beautiful Stranger aside), but she was so out of tune on Like a Prayer. I wish she would just stop

I love how they claim there's no more political voting, but when they go through the jury votes you can still pretty much call most of where the 12 points are going.

I didn't like the song that much, but I'm absolutely made up for The Netherlands.  They've tried so hard the last few years and my main lady Ilse (<3) was there on the sofa.  Poor Czech lads, you could see their little hearts break when they got 7 public votes.  I did enjoy the number of fucks that Iceland gave as they held up the Palestine banners.