Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy

Eurovision 2019: Tel Aviv

Semi Final 1 - Tuesday May 14th - UK viewers cannot vote in this one.

8pm on BBC Four

Get your semi final scorecards from the Beeb here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/190g9GLLwpQCyf8vrRR8YfC/eurovision-2019-party-pack

Featuring~!

• Darude for Finland
  • Surie gimmick infringement
  • Iceland providing the soundtrack to a brutal murder
  • Vega from Street FIghter 2 moonlighting for Portugal
  • Cyprus coming with another banger
  • San Marino with an ultra cheese number from a Wagner soundalike (it's Vagner Louis.  That's what I said, Wagner)
  • and Aussie spring pole weirdness (if you only watch one video watch this one).

Youtube Playlist from the official Eurovision channel here:

Thanks Johnnyboy that's my evenings sorted for most of this week. 

I've got people coming round, several crates of shit beer and we're going to order a metric tonne of Chinese food from down the road. Looking forward to it. 

My other half emigrated to the UK  last year from Canada and has never watched Eurovision before. Genuinely unsure whether she's going to love it or think it's the worst thing ever put on television. 

1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

My other half emigrated to the UK  last year from Canada and has never watched Eurovision before. Genuinely unsure whether she's going to love it or think it's the worst thing ever put on television. 

I can see them about half way through turning to you and saying "is this supposed to be... good?"

I go round a mate's every year. We attack the first quarter with gusto, scoring them and all sorts. Then we all get bored after the fifteenth moody ballad delivered in Americanglish.

1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

Genuinely unsure whether she's going to love it or think it's the worst thing ever put on television. 

Both. Eurovision is a wonderful beast like that.

28 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I can see them about half way through turning to you and saying "is this supposed to be... good?"

She enjoyed the trailer, but there is a big difference between that and the whole shebang. It also runs like Wrestlemania nowadays and I'm not sure she's ready for 4 hours of Europop and Graham Norton. Who among us ever is though? 

Edited by Gus Mears

35 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

She enjoyed the trailer, but there is a big difference between that and the whole shebang. It also runs like Wrestlemania nowadays and I'm not sure she's ready for 4 hours of Europop and Graham Norton. Who among us ever is though? 

Four hours?  You need to get in the 2x 2 hour 6 minute semis too.

I’m enjoying the people who perennially ask (and have it explained to them) why Israel are even in it changing up this year to boycotting it because they don’t support apartheid. 

28 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Four hours?  You need to get in the 2x 2 hour 6 minute semis too.

I want us to still be in a relationship by the end of the week though. 

9 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

My other half emigrated to the UK  last year from Canada and has never watched Eurovision before. 

"What's this all aboot?"

19 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The Popbitch guide has dropped and there was much rejoicing.

No single sentence has ever encapsulated why Eurovision is brilliant so perfectly:

image.png.5e32070210c6fb047fb732c0bd553f01.png

Delighted that all of my bets are at least still alive for the final.  Couldn't resist Belarus at 300/1 ew before the semi started.

I'm giving it a listen on Spotify, and it just sounds like generic contemporary pop. It never sinks in how much the performance is a part of it as well. I'll definitely be trying to give it a watch on Saturday night, but having to be up at 4 am for work this week has put something of a kibosh on the semis.