Danny Baker is trending. He isnt a rapist. He isnt dead. He's ....

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Until this happened, I didn’t even know Megan Markle was black

I don't think she is. She describes herself as 'half black and half white' and uses the expression 'mixed heritage'. I think it's just the case that people have decided for themselves that 1 Caucasian + 1 African American = a Black person. And no doubt many of those are the same people who have taken a similar approach about this newborn baby and are frothing at the lip about Baker's supposed racism because of it.

Edited by Ronnie

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think it's just the case that people have decided for themselves that 1 Caucasian + 1 African American = a Black person.

For me, it's more a case of the ingrained racism that views them as "Not white".  Lewis Hamilton is the perfect example, seen as an uppity black man even though he is half white.  But half white = not white.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

For me, it's more a case of the ingrained racism that views them as "Not white".  Lewis Hamilton is the perfect example, seen as an uppity black man even though he is half white.  But half white = not white.

And that's pretty much my wider point. I too celebrate the fact that a person who isn't White was elected as the President of the USA (not talking about Agent Orange) and that another has married for love into the Royal Family. But people who refer to Obama as the first Black president or Markle as the first Black royal aren't being right and in my view leave themselves open to suggestions or racism, albeit without the evil intent of kicking someone's head in for being in the other group or throwing out their daughter for going out with one. It's silly. All of this is.

To possibly extend it further, I'd say Obama and Markle are more about a visual representation of how the ingrained racism isn't what it was.  People of colour (which I think is a better, more universal phrase) see them in such prominence and can celebrate that, in spite of the hatred people have for them because of their skin colour.

Also, I'm aware I'm being the white man explaining racism from the view of people of colour, so I'll stop.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

People of colour (which I think is a better, more universal phrase)

I don't like it when it's shortened to POC though because I *always* think it's calling someone a piece of crap.

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't like it when it's shortened to POC though because I *always* think it's calling someone a piece of crap.

Have you been reading the comments about J-Lingz and Pogba's dance videos again?

• Paid Members

"Only racists thing people of mixed race are black" is a bonkers argument I didn't think I'd see today, and even worse than "he didn't know the baby was black"/"only racists care that the baby is mixed race".

I couldn't pick Meghan Markle out of a police line-up, and couldn't give a tin shit about the Royals, but every bit of coverage of their wedding and of this kid that I saw foregrounded the fact that Markle is of mixed heritage, and that this is a defining moment for the Royal Family because of it. 

I have some mixed race members of my family, and if you tried to suggest to any of the Jamaican side of the family that they shouldn't identify as "black", in spite of their lived experience, because they're "half-white", they'd look at you like you'd just come from fucking Mars. A significant part of life as an ethnic minority in a majority white country is in coming to terms with how people perceive you because of that, where you "fit" in that society, and of the historical and cultural weight attached to that - and, by and large, people of mixed heritage share in that experience, because it colours how they are perceived by others and by society at large. But let's write all that off because they're "half-white" so obviously don't count, yet somehow come out of it calling them the racists.

I find it funny that Baker claimed in his flimsy apology that he didnt know which royal couple were about to give birth. 

Yet a few days prior he was tweeting potential names such as Homer Wallis Simpson for Harry and Meghans child.

A proven liar.

I imagine he was pissed up watching the footie thinking he was being slightly edgy and it came back to rightfully so bite him on his arse.