Danny Baker is trending. He isnt a rapist. He isnt dead. He's ....

IANdrewDiceClay

3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I do. I don't equate black people to apes. Doesn't cross my mind. I see why it's offensive to others. So does he. He should then have apologised better.

It’s not about equating black people to apes, it’s being aware of the connotations behind it, and the connections that racists have made between black people and monkeys.

Youd have to be beyond fucking ignorant to post something like that, same as the director behind the H&M campaign last year who put a little black boy in a “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle” jumper.

Again, you have to be aware of WHY that would be offensive and just not do it. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

It’s not about equating black people to apes, it’s being aware of the connotations behind it, and the connections that racists have made between black people and monkeys.

Youd have to be beyond fucking ignorant to post something like that, same as the director behind the H&M campaign last year who put a little black boy in a “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle” jumper.

Again, you have to be aware of WHY that would be offensive and just not do it. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Just saying personally, I wouldn't be because I don't make the connection. He clearly didn't either. He fucking will next time.

• Paid Members

I saw this thread yesterday and thought it was stupid, just a link to another unfunny idiot being spiteful about a couple's reason to be happy. It didn't even cross my mind that the reason for posting the thread was that some people would attribute racist motivation to the tweet.

What does jump out at me, though, is that a number of people seem to have decided that the newborn child of a Causcasian man and a woman with a Caucasian father is black. Perhaps yelling Racist! as an automatic reaction when you've got no reason to read that particular interpretation into something isn't so reasonable after all.

• Paid Members

Danny John Jules from off of out of Maid Marian & Her Merry Men has been losing his mind over it. 

I saw the post and thought it was a bit ill thought out, but also saw that as soon as he'd realised what he'd done he apologised and deleted it. I guess the BBC is on damage limitation at the moment. I didn't realise he did a lot of Royal Family as performing animals in a circus type stuff. 

I also love the irony of the mail and express rounding on him over it even though we all know they not so secretly dislike that particular branch of the royal family tree. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Factotum said:

Who doesn't make the connection?

Me. I'm not oblivious to it, I get the monkey chants comment above. I just don't immediately think it. Like the H&M thing. It's a little kid modelling a cute t-shirt. Why in this day and age should a little black boy wearing that t-shirt be offensive? Imagine if he just sees it in the shop and loves it. Does his mother have to say "no, you can't have that t-shirt because you're black"? What a horrendous thought.

I'm not commenting on anyone's right to feel offended by it.

17 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Just saying personally, I wouldn't be because I don't make the connection. He clearly didn't either. He fucking will next time.

Or he did make the connection, knew it was racist and posted it anyway to be “edgy”. Who knows?

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Me. I'm not oblivious to it, I get the monkey chants comment above. I just don't immediately think it. Like the H&M thing. It's a little kid modelling a cute t-shirt. Why in this day and age should a little black boy wearing that t-shirt be offensive? Imagine if he just sees it in the shop and loves it. Does his mother have to say "no, you can't have that t-shirt because you're black"? What a horrendous thought.

I'm not commenting on anyone's right to feel offended by it.

I could definitely see myself getting in hot water over something like this. I call my own kid and my nephews monkeys all the time. Comparing little kids and their antics to the behavior of monkeys is pretty common. What happens if I do that and one of the kids is black and I didn't notice or think anything of it? And their parent or some other bystander decides to get offended on the kid's behalf? Bam, now I need to find a new nursery for my daughter and my morning routine is fucked.

Social media fucking sucks, because people use it and people are terrible and the bigger the group of people the more awful they are.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Or he did make the connection, knew it was racist and posted it anyway to be “edgy”. Who knows?

Only he knows but he has previous for loving a gag involving monkeys dressed as humans, none for racism and no reason to be "edgy" so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, CTXRussomark said:

What was the joke even meant to be? He's said he would have used the same gag for any child including his own so it's not even some sort of commentary on the royals which was my original guess. I genuinely can't work out what he was going for. 

It's an observation on privilege using a "funny" picture of a monkey in clothes. Obviously crass given the child who equates to the monkey is mixed race.