Holidays Thread : Where you off to?

RancidPunx

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Anyone been to Copenhagen?

Need a pick me up as MH has been terrible recently and am going to go 4-7 October for the Brondby-Copenhagen Derby.

But that’s just a few hours sorted, so looking for other things to do in and out of the city. Looking at accommodation is expensive so thinking I might get a tour company to sort it as it’s easier unless anyone has top tips. Cheers 

I think you might like the "Anarchist Free Town" https://theculturetrip.com/europe/denmark/articles/christiania-13-things-to-know-about-copenhagens-hippie-free-town/

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, have read up on that and plan to spend some time there. Sounds fascinating.

Found flights for £80 and accommodation/ticket for just over €200, so not bad. Just heard it’s a very expensive place so after some “local”/cheap tips. 

• Paid Members

I was there in December and loved it, it’s a great city.

Christiania is a must, and i’d suggest visiting during the day but also at night as it has a completely different vibe. Through the day there are markets, craft workshops and very nice vegan restaurant that’s probably the best value food you’ll find in the whole city. At night there’s the bar in the centre which again, probably serves the best value drinks in the whole city, very hipster though. There’s also the weed vendors everywhere at night, and it’s seems totally acceptable to buy off them and roll up in one of the bars there.

Tivoli Gardens is fantastic, it’s an old school fairground that I’m sure is one of the oldest in the world or something. I’d recommend going here at night too as it’s all lit up and pretty fairytale like. It’s moderately expensive but still reasonable value if you get an unlimited ride ticket and spend a good few hours there.

To get around you should hire a bike, the Donkey Republic app lets you pick up and drop off bikes as often as you like, similar to the Boris Bikes and the stations are practically on every street corner. The city is very flat, has cycle lanes everywhere and everyone seems to cycle so it’s nowhere near as daunting as cycling around London would be.

Nyhavn is nice to look at and for a wander around but don’t go anywhere near the restaurants and bars there as it’s a complete tourist trap and the prices are extortionate. 

Eating out, if you want to go for sit down meals, will be majorly expensive but there are plenty of options for quick food dotted around the city. Drinking is probably only slightly more expensive than London, stick to beer and it’s not too bad but spirits are a fucking rip off. Copenhagen has a million trendy bars but they’ve also got some more traditional pub types called bodegas, prices are a lot fairer in these.

Don’t waste your time going to see The Little Mermaid statue. 

Edited by stumobir

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm on holiday to Canada to meet my the family of my other half. Except I'm not, because the flight has been delayed for over 24 hours and I've been up since 3:30AM rebooking things.

Assuming there's no cause for redress  outside of them putting me on a flight tomorrow due to it being a weather issue? Not had this problem before. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

So my flight was cancelled yesterday. I left 5 hours to get from Swindon to gatwick airport. After boarding a train at 830, we moved 1 mile then stopped because THERE WERE 30 COWS ON THE LINE AND A TRAIN HIT ONE.

I missed my connect to the airport from Reading, the train went backwards after 50 minutes to Swindon and I got a quote of 150 quid I don't have to the airport because the train lines were completely blocked.

BUT THERE'S MORE!

Just before getting off the M25 to the M32 to Gatwick, I saw that he M32 was closed due to an accident. I managed to let thr cab driver know this about 10 seconds before we whizzed past junction 8 into certain doom. We then crawled through Reigate and after sprinting I think faster than I have in my life, did baggage, security and my gate 17 minutes after getting dropped off.

If you never hear from me again, I can assure you it's because the plane has blown up.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Back a few days from Mexico. What a stunning country! The Sian Ka'an biosphere is the most beautiful place I have been, and getting to float down a river through mangroves was just one of the best experiences of my life. Also swimming in a lagoon off Monkey Island kept the geek in me well amused.

The Xcaret park was amazing too. We stayed to watch a Mayan show where they played a version of field hockey with a flaming ball!

20190708_191657.jpg

• 3 months later...

Small bump to this because i can't be arsed to start a new one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for weekend breaks in January? The wife's birthday is December 29th, which is a right ball ache at the best of times, but is even worse when looking at a few nights away.

Ideally were looking for a European city within a couple of hours. We've been to Berlin and Paris, and last year went to Ravenna in Italy which was a delight. I've looked at Amsterdam, Vienna and Geneva but nothing catches my eye.

Anyone know owt?

• Awards Moderator

Vienna was great in January when we went this year. Dead quiet because it was just after the Christmas markets, and quite a bit cheaper as a result. It's cold but all the big attractions (palaces, galleries etc) are open as normal. Get some tea, schnitzel and sachertorte at Cafe Central and you're set.

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Vienna was great in January when we went this year. Dead quiet because it was just after the Christmas markets, and quite a bit cheaper as a result. It's cold but all the big attractions (palaces, galleries etc) are open as normal. Get some tea, schnitzel and sachertorte at Cafe Central and you're set.

Exactly what I wanted to hear that - many thanks.

• Paid Members

Just booked four nights in Prague, including flights, for 100 quid in January. I spend more than that getting to work on the bloody train each week, so delighted at the price. Plus, it's a city I've been keen to visit for years. Recommendations appreciated on where to go.

3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Just booked four nights in Prague, including flights, for 100 quid in January. I spend more than that getting to work on the bloody train each week, so delighted at the price. Plus, it's a city I've been keen to visit for years. Recommendations appreciated on where to go.

Where did you book that? Been looking to treat the wife to a break

I went to Paris in January one year, got a cheap flight, got a hotel room on Rue De Rivoli for cheap as well.  Booked it all ourselves though but wasn't difficult to do!  Then, when we arrived at the swanky hotel, we tried our phrasebook to say we had a reservation and the like, they smiled at us encouragingly as we chewed up their language like their tunnels chew up princesses.  Then in English they told us they were upgrading us to a suite (Usually 1000 euro a night) for the duration of our stay!

Off season holidays can really come good with prices and luck like that!  Even when we went to the Louvre, they told us to wait 15 minutes, then we could pay the evening rate which was half price.  Cracking break, that was!

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Admins, can we rename this The Holiday Thread rather than starting a new one please?

- - 

My friend and I are doing a West Coast US trip in May. We’re going for 18 nights and booked a fly-drive with BA last night for £547 each direct from Heathrow to LA.

Tip: Check our Jack’s Flight Club for some great deals on flights!

Anyway, the first half of the holiday is a road trip up to Seattle and back. We’re spending 7 nights in LA at the end but have no idea where to stay for a reasonable price but isn’t too far away (thinking about LA traffic) from some main attractions, i.e. Disneyland, Universal Studios, WB studios, Hollywood sign, etc. We want something relaxing, maybe near a beach.

Anyone been to LA to recommend something? I’ve been before and stayed on Hollywood Blvd but only because I didn’t have a car at the time and thought that’d be the best place to stay.

Edited by Monkee