Holidays Thread : Where you off to?

RancidPunx

• Paid Members

I've just arrived home from Gatwick having visited the Cinque Terre villages (south of Genoa) for the bank holiday. My better half and I don't have any kids and our mutual interest is travelling, so every break from work tends to get filled with a trip abroad. If you're willing to get up at 3am and get back in around midnight or even later, you can get three full days abroad over bank holidays. That's something we've been doing for a few years. This bank holiday was Italy, the next will be Kiev, and August's will be heading to some cities outside Madrid called Segovia and Ávila.

We hope to have visited every country in Europe within the next few years. There are around ten still left to do. We'll be ticking off a few over the next few months, with 9 days in Russia (St Petersburg and Moscow), a two-week break landing in Bulgaria and returning from Romania, and an October drive around Cyprus.

11 hours ago, Sonny Mustang said:

Jumping in here, went to that area in 2016 and were rewarded with glorious weather. 

We actually stayed in polperro - cute as a button fishing village, which I preferred to Looe (that was bigger and had a boots, weatherspoons and other chains etc) - but it’s a wonderful part of the country. 

I've looked at Polperro before, and we might end up going for a day visit this year. We go to Devon and Cornwall for a couple of weeks every year. We started going again in 2016, after a five year absence, and just fell in love with it all over again, so have been going back every year since. The thought of being there for a couple of weeks is pretty much all that keeps me sane the rest of the time.

10 hours ago, stevieg1980 said:

Yes. Have been there once before. Looe has probably the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Plus it was a decent little town to have a day in. 

Thanks for that. I think we probably will end up going to Looe on our spare day. We're staying near St Austell during the Cornwall leg of our trip, so it's fairly easy to get to Looe without having our own transport.

• Paid Members

Booked the mini-moon to Amsterdam for this December! I'm not sure whether it's the toll of Brexit or just Amsterdam quickly becoming more popular with each passing year, but travel is costing around £200 more for a three night stay than when we last went in 2017. 

Either way, we've booked a sweet Air Bnb right in the center, a stones throw away from practically everything. No more trams or boats to the hotel for us! Looking forward to actually experiencing the night life this time around.

Edited by Accident Prone
spelling

Off to America on the 15th of May.

Week of wrestling roadtrips with some of my friends in the biz..hitting up Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.

And then a long weekend with my girlfriend in and around Louisville doing tourist stuff.

Cost me bugger all, as I had vouchers from work I had to use up..so that sorted the flights and accommodation.

All set apart from my packing!

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Booked the mini-moon to Amsterdam for this December! I'm not sure whether it's the toll of Brexit or just Amsterdam quickly becoming more popular with each passing year, but travel as it's costing around £200 more for a three night stay than when we last went in 2017. 

Either way, we've booked a sweet Air Bnb right in the center, a stones throw away from practically everything. No more trams or boats to the hotel for us! Looking forward to actually experiencing the night life this time around.

The times we've been we've always stayed in Haarlem. It's like a smaller, quieter version of Amsterdam without the masses of tourist and stag dos. The Jopen brewery tons of nice restaurants are there and it's only a 10/15 minute train from Amsterdam. You can bike it in half an hour if you want. Loads cheaper too. Last time it cost us about £150 each for 2 nights, travel and hotel.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the tip! We visited Haarlem on a day trip during our first visit way back in 2015 and really enjoyed it. We would've stayed somewhere a little less touristy like that but there's still so much for us to see in that central part of the city and we feel that we've barley scratched the surface as we were always back at the hotel by midnight. 

Are stag dos a lot more common there now, I take it? Might explain some of the price hike. We've never encountered a single one during all our time there, whereas in Prague the place practically over run by them (including our own!).

Edited by Accident Prone

Very jealous of a few of you.

As for me, myself and a friend from home are going travelling around Europe for 6 weeks from mid-June to the end of July. First time either of us have done anything like this, so a little apprehensive about being roped into the Estonian Freemasons or the Latvian Volleyball team, but incredibly excited. Our list of destinations are: Brussels, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, Talinn, Riga, Vilnius, Warsaw, Berlin and Amsterdam. 

Never visited anywhere on that list apart from Amsterdam when I was about 12, so any suggestions of what to do or see would come appreciated.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, Tommy! said:

Bear inn, Chequers, Crown, Eagle & child, Four candles ,Grapes. King's arms, Lamb & flag, Royal blenheim, St aldates tavern , Three goats heads, Turf tavern , Turf St kitchen , White rabbit , Wig & pen, Thirsty meeples , Old bookbinders 

I've bolded my personal favourites from that list, i'd probably say Lamb & Flag my favourite of the lot, great scratchings there as well

Of the others, King's Arms is quite nice but probably one of the most expensive in the City, Four Candles the better of the two 'Spoons, Grapes has just reopened but was always decent before, Wig is a bit 'chainy'. Not been to Turl Street Kitchen, unforunately the old Turl bar on Turl street is long gone 

Not mentioned but I'd suggest The White Horse in Broad St (not far from Kings Arms) , very small but lovely pub , and used in alot of Morse, The Plough has recently opened on Cornmarket St (the walk between The Crown and Three Goats Heads) which was an ancient pub which then became a shop but has now been turned back, so may be worth a visit

• 1 month later...

Anyone been to Copenhagen?

Need a pick me up as MH has been terrible recently and am going to go 4-7 October for the Brondby-Copenhagen Derby.

But that’s just a few hours sorted, so looking for other things to do in and out of the city. Looking at accommodation is expensive so thinking I might get a tour company to sort it as it’s easier unless anyone has top tips. Cheers 

Anyone been to Kos? We booked for next May thinking there'd be loads of good excursions with all dat history going on then realised Kos is miles off of mainland Greece. Probably should have done a bit of research instead of looking for the fanciest hotel with the best food. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Anyone been to Copenhagen?

Need a pick me up as MH has been terrible recently and am going to go 4-7 October for the Brondby-Copenhagen Derby.

But that’s just a few hours sorted, so looking for other things to do in and out of the city. Looking at accommodation is expensive so thinking I might get a tour company to sort it as it’s easier unless anyone has top tips. Cheers 

Not been, but I do recall watching one of those Richard Ayoade Travel Man episodes where he went with Noel Fielding and it looked like there was loads to do! Should be on YouTube or All4 (sorry this might be no help at all!).