Brock Lesnar retires?

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

WeeAl makes some good points but Stipe applies to C) especially as a heavyweight. The loss was decisive but i still dont think much of an argument can go against him, fans and the promoion just wanted to see the Brock fight. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Stipe deserving it or not goes a little out the window when you consider Brock was getting the title shot. You can give Shane Carwin a go under those conditions.

I don't think it necessarily does, if people are honest about matchmaking motivations. You get a shot if you're either the most qualified challenger, or if you're the biggest potential draw for the match at that time. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Carwin would be a draw, and therefore couldn't be justified under either criterion.

13 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Another automatic re-match. Bollocks. These should never happen unless there's either;

A) Controversy surrounding the decision/or the aftermath of the fight leaving things unclear. 

B) A real lack of viable challengers for the new champion, or

C) The dethroned champion having a reign so extensive that they are impossible to look past. Even then, this should be in conjunction with either A or B.

I think things were a little "unclear" for Stipe after this...

c659dde1-9ee4-49d9-ad94-c04fc344394a-ori

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Oh, literal Carbomb.

Don't worry, Carwin can't even fight without his neck exploding.

Sorry, I was just attempting to answer your example. I'd still apply the same logic for anyone else who fit the same slot as Carwin (i.e. HW who hasn't earned a shot, and isn't a draw).

You're right in general, I was just taking things from the point of view that promoters should stop trying to bullshit people that contenders are always going to be chosen on their record - they know they're not, we know they're not, so just admit it. That way we can enjoy the ride, and David gets to be right.

• Paid Members

I was exaggerating with Carwin, of course, but my overall point is the who deserves it is such a wobbly argument to rest on these days. Particularly if the UFC is ruled by the petulance and impulsive nature of a bit of an egomaniac. I mean, this is a man that seemed to actively discourage GSP from returning despite ticking both those "deserving" boxes you mentioned. 

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Some talk over in On Topic that Brock is a free agent now. Go on. Speculate.

I doubt he’ll fight again but if he’s going to, I’m not really bothered about seeing him in the UFC again. I’d actually rather see him take a couple of fights in Bellator these days. The Fedor thing is the obvious one. Yeah, it’s a decade late but you know it’d be the one Coker would jump on. Wouldn’t hate seeing Lesnar vs Mir 3 either. It’d be a big boost for Bellator, obviously. And as expensive as he’ll be, it’s Viacom. It’s not like Affliction breaking the bank and going belly up after 2 shows.

He won’t fight again though. 

• Paid Members

Jones is definitely going to try his luck with this. He's been after a fight with Brock for ages now and you know it will do the business.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Brock has at least one big fight if the money and the opponent is right. One big pay day before he retires in the mountains somewhere. You know Dana is going to be making a play when he gets word of this; he's said multiple times in the past he's always open to do business with Brock.

• Paid Members

Yeh, however you slice it, Lesnar is still a marquee name. He's no value as a title contender, but he is a bona fide draw. The Jones match is the most obvious UFC one, but Bellator's the company with the most appropriate heavyweights. A shame CroCop had to retire, as him vs. Brock for a retirement match would've been good. Perhaps Brock vs. Barnett? Think of the promos.

i would love too see lesnar vs jones finish out 2020 in a big fashion....... you have to imagine uncle dana is on the phone throwing an unholy amount of money at the beast to comeback before it's too late....

Lesnar vs Ngannou , Lesnar vs blades.......even though i don't want to see it Lesnar vs lewis