Brock Lesnar retires?

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

In a very Brock Lesnar twist, he has told Dana he's done with MMA. Usually with Brock it will come down to money, so either Vince has thrown him another silly contract or he's not convinced about the new murky UFC PPV model and how that impacts all his PPV points.

It does mean we get DC v Stipe again.

With Brock Lesnar informing UFC president Dana White that he doesn't intend to fight again, the UFC is close to finalizing a heavyweight title matchup between Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocicfor a pay-per-view event on Aug. 17, in Anaheim, California. Both sides have verbally agreed to the fight, though contracts are not yet signed. Cormier confirmed to ESPN that he is in the process of finalizing the bout, as did Miocic. UFC president Dana White confirmed the pay-per-view date and location.

"I'm ready," Miocic told ESPN. "I've been ready. And I'm going to take back what's mine." White told ESPN earlier Tuesday that Lesnar (5-2 martial arts fighter. The UFC had discussed booking a title fight between Lesnar and Cormier this summer, but Lesnar informed White last week that he is retired.

"He told me he's done. He's retired," White told ESPN. Cormier (22-1) and Miocic (18-3) previously met at UFC 226 in July 2018, when Cormier claimed the heavyweight belt by first-round knockout.

Cormier, 40, initially planned to retire from MMA this month but has since postponed that decision. He and Miocic have gone back and forth several times on social media, as Miocic has accused him of avoiding a rematch. Before losing the belt to Cormier, Miocic, 36, defended the title a UFC-record three consecutive times.

Lesnar, a former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE superstar, was in attendance at UFC 226 and confronted Cormier in the Octagon immediately after the knockout victory. White said in multiple interviews since then that he wanted to make the fight if he could strike a deal with Lesnar. Lesnar had entered the UFC's mandatory anti-doping program in anticipation of a comeback. The 41-year-old Lesnar hasn't fought since UFC 200 in July 2016, when he defeated Mark Hunt via unanimous decision. The fight was later overturned to a no-contest after Lesnar failed two drug tests surrounding the fight for the banned substance clomiphene.

Information from ESPN's Ariel Helwani was used in this report.

• Paid Members

It's getting to the point where i feel it may be not worth it for him anyway. Brock's still a draw and generates buzz like few others but a one off fight with DC probably ends badly for him. He's probably started some kind of camp and realised he doesn't want it.

DC/Miocic 2 is on tap now.

• Paid Members

On that note, Ebb, it's worth remembering that he said on ESPN (while announcing his new WWE contract) he felt he didn't have it anymore a year or so before he fought Mark Hunt. Like you typed, Brock said he went into camp and quickly realised his body just wasn't up to the brutal grind of a fight camp.

It's a wee shame because I'd like to see Brock have another fight. DC is definitely too good for him, but someone like Derick Lewis would have been fun to watch.

I think Dana said it best, in that every time Brock's contract comes up Cuckmahon always offers enough to keep him around. Whether that be a UFC payday or less dates.

Remember when everyone was saying that Miocic was playing a dangerous game by just sitting out and waiting for his rematch, and that he'd be better off "getting back in the mix"?

Well, looks like he's played a blinder, as we'll now get to see the big rematch with last fight fresh in the mind. 

Let's hope DC can keep his fingers out of Stipe's eye this time around, eh?

• Paid Members

Yeh Stipe's decision to sit out has proven to be the right move. If Brock had come back though i wonder if Stipe was planning on sitting out a further 6-8 months?

anyways, DC smashes him again.

I read this too just now:

“According to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, UFC President Dana White told him Brock Lesnar is retired from UFC, but there’s an even bigger story which hasn’t been reported yet. Brock had a conversation with Vince McMahon over the weekend and wants to retire from WWE at WrestleMania 36. That’s huge.”

We'll see on that one.

Miocic was doing pretty well in the early stages of the first fight. I seem to remember that the fight was swinging in his direction. But then DC caught him, in a situation that he had specifically trained for, and finished the job. 

I think the rematch could go either way. Both camps do their homework very well. And both are elite-level heavyweights. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, David said:

Let's hope DC can keep his fingers out of Stipe's eye this time around, eh?

IDK, it's that Khabib-like big right hand I'd be worried about. That and the lard arse falling on me.

Miocic was doing pretty well in the early stages of the first fight. I seem to remember that the fight was swinging in his direction. But then DC caught him, in a situation that he had specifically trained for, and finished the job. 

I think the rematch could go either way. Both camps do their homework very well. And both are elite-level heavyweight

It's the heavyweights, so it's always a bit of a "who knows?" at this level. What we do know is DC can easily match Stipe with his power/boxing, which most didn't consider going into the fight.

DC's body is falling apart, going by most reports, so you wonder if he'll be able to get through another camp without it buggering him. Typing that, he apparently battered Stipe in a round after not being able to train properly because his back went out on him.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

It's the heavyweights, so it's always a bit of a "who knows?" at this level. What we do know is DC can easily match Stipe with his power/boxing, which most didn't consider going into the fight.

In terms of power, yes, but I'd still argue that Stipe has the edge in technique. Not a huge gulf, but perhaps enough for him to try and play it a bit more hue-and-cry this time around.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

In terms of power, yes, but I'd still argue that Stipe has the edge in technique. Not a huge gulf, but perhaps enough for him to try and play it a bit more hue-and-cry this time around.

Maybe, but I think DC is pretty under rated as an MMA boxer. Before that last fight I'd definitely agree, but I'm not sure now.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

Maybe, but I think DC is pretty under rated as an MMA boxer. Before that last fight I'd definitely agree, but I'm not sure now.

Oh, absolutely - his first fight against Jones showed he was definitely a skilled striker. I just think Stipe is slightly ahead of him in that regard.

• Paid Members

Another automatic re-match. Bollocks. These should never happen unless there's either;

A) Controversy surrounding the decision/or the aftermath of the fight leaving things unclear. 

B) A real lack of viable challengers for the new champion, or

C) The dethroned champion having a reign so extensive that they are impossible to look past. Even then, this should be in conjunction with either A or B. 

Mighty Mouse would have made sense getting an immediate re-match, partly because of how close the fight was but also as it was a trilogy match by that point. Even then, Benavidez was a really viable contender. 

Anderson Silva's reign could be seen as warranting it at the time. As would Jon Jones if he suffered his first proper loss to somebody. 

Garbrandt, Aldo and Joanna, for recent examples, were all clear and decisive when they lost their titles not so long ago. They needed to get their mojo back, not end up right back in there with somebody who took part of their soul without having time to find their feet again.