Jump to content

Fatty Facesitter's Crucible Diary


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The World Snooker Championships are back back BACK for another year. This is a diary entry about my first Crucible experience, where I'm lucky enough to cover the sport of kings and the hobby of heroe

Day 4 10:00 - Morning sesh gets underway. Ronnie O'Sullivan and James Cahill are ready to lock horns and complete their match from yesterday. Graeme Dott, who enters to Tina Turner's 'Simpl

Fatty Facesitter's Crucible Diary - Day 2! 10:00 - After the madness of Mark Williams' mad ramblings the night before, it's a much calmer press room on the second morning here. Hopes of an

Posted Images

  • Paid Members

One of the great characters of the game. Never got the chance to meet him during my work on the snooks - by the time I started I think he was just doing some studio bits with BBC Wales for the Welsh Open and that's about it. Absolutely remarkable commentary voice. Some say maybe he could have won more titles, but at the same time he was playing in the golden era along with some of the all-timers. 

This made me smile this morning - WT taking part in the 1992 World Trickshot challenge. Whole video is good for the snooker nostalgia cockles. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of the Welsh Open it reminded me of Willie's commentary on O'Sullivan's 147 in the final frame of the final against Ding Junhui.  O'Sullivan produced one of the greatest shots I've ever seen on the 15th red and you can hear the joy and childlike enthusiasm as Willie calls it.  From about 7:30 onwards.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone watch the first day of the champion of champions on ITV4? The tournament consists of the top 8 players on the 1 year ranking list. You'd expect it to be high quality but I was still surprised just how good the first match between Stephen Maguire (9th on the ranking list but replaced 8th placed Ding who has stayed in China) and Neil Robertson was.

Eight centuries out of 14 frames, six of which were made by Maguire.
After years of not doing much Maguire is having an incredible season

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Ronnie's been in the news today for humming and hawing about his decision to appear in the World Championship. The prerequisite news story that means the World Championship is very much on, of course. I was quite excited to realise it's starting at the end of the month. I'm still working from home so it's the most frames of the tournament that I will conceivably be able to watch since a bunch of us lived together on the dole, where the BBC coverage would be the permanent backdrop to soapbar smog and cheap cider as a sort of baize endurance marathon. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a decent first session. Tom Ford looks like a young Randy Orton even though he is probably older. 
Barry Hearn through is a massive cock. He has just ripped Anthony Hamilton apart for withdrawing, I guess Hamilton’s view was that the there was due to be no crowd when he won the qualifiers, and now there is he can’t take the risk for his health. He’s also sounding so begrudgingly about paying Hamilton the prize money. He’s got to be a Tory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
11 hours ago, stewdogg said:

Barry Hearn through is a massive cock. He has just ripped Anthony Hamilton apart for withdrawing, I guess Hamilton’s view was that the there was due to be no crowd when he won the qualifiers, and now there is he can’t take the risk for his health. He’s also sounding so begrudgingly about paying Hamilton the prize money. He’s got to be a Tory.

Did you see the interview with him today after it was announced there wouldn't be a crowd from tomorrow? He was asked directly about him and his position now there isn't a crowd and said "he's made his choice" before moving the interview quickly on to some bollocks about having a direct line to someone in cabinet, which completely missed the point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out O'Sullivan likes playing with no crowd, after all. Battered Un-Nooh 10-1, taking less than half an hour for the two final frames this morning. 

Match quality's been decent so far this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Turns out O'Sullivan likes playing with no crowd, after all. Battered Un-Nooh 10-1, taking less than half an hour for the two final frames this morning. 

Match quality's been decent so far this year. 

The first couple of frames were played at a frightening pace. He looked like he was having fun (as much as he can look like he is having fun).

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the thoughts on the newer generation of pundits? I grew up with the iconic voices of Taylor, Virgo, Clive Everton, the late Thorne and the like, so they hold a special place for me but over the last few years there's been a new crop.

Loads of people seem to like McManus but I find he talks way too much and says some really cringe worthy things. Hendry is decent while maybe a bit too critical but you'd expect that from a 7 time world champion. Doherty is pretty good. It's hard not to like that smooth talker. There's a new guy currently at the world championship but I keep forgetting his name. I think he's still playing but low in the rankings. I've been very impressed so far. The type of voice you imagine a snooker pundit to have

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pork Pie said:

Doherty is pretty good. It's hard not to like that smooth talker.

I like him, but I think he comes across as a bit bitter sometimes, especially when they were watching O'Sullivan the other day.

I could be reading him completely wrong, or maybe I've missed something between the two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pork Pie said:

What's the thoughts on the newer generation of pundits? I grew up with the iconic voices of Taylor, Virgo, Clive Everton, the late Thorne and the like, so they hold a special place for me but over the last few years there's been a new crop.

Loads of people seem to like McManus but I find he talks way too much and says some really cringe worthy things. Hendry is decent while maybe a bit too critical but you'd expect that from a 7 time world champion. Doherty is pretty good. It's hard not to like that smooth talker. There's a new guy currently at the world championship but I keep forgetting his name. I think he's still playing but low in the rankings. I've been very impressed so far. The type of voice you imagine a snooker pundit to have

Hendry is the best of the bunch for me by a long way.  I also enjoy listening to the Nugget and Neal Foulds.  He doesn't tend to do much commentary, more analysis, but O'Sullivan is surprisingly excellent in that role when he does so on Eurosport.

I agree with your comments on McManus, he's a very insightful commentator but does have a tendency to come out with some embarassing stuff at times.  The thing I really dislike about him though is when he refers to players by his own little nicknames, so he always calls Mark Williams "Willo", Anthony McGill is "Antz", Graeme Dott is "Dotty", Stephen Maguire is "Stevie" and so on.

Joe Perry has been a decent addition to the team, certainly better than Peter Ebdon and Shaun Murphy who they have used in recent years.  

I can't say I'm missing Virgo.  For years it seems like he's only been there to scream "Where's the cue ball going?" several times a frame.  Dennis is almost as bad these days, he was talking about the Buddhist monks for some reason in the Sangkhaem (sp?) match earlier.  At least with no crowds in attendance he's not full on with the jokes and one liners to try and pop the audience.

The less said about Rob Walker's attempts at commentary the better.  Stick to the MC'ing.

Where is Hazel this year?  She hasn't given up presenting has she?  Jason Mohammed is good, but this bloody Radzi is diabolical.  Looks like a scruff and absolutely clueless.  Not the first time I've seen the Beeb try and shoehorn him into sports coverage either.  Seema Jaswal is equally as useless.

*EDIT* Dave Farrar is the guy who sounds like second coming of Ted Lowe.

Edited by Magnum Milano
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

this bloody Radzi is diabolical.  Looks like a scruff and absolutely clueless.  Not the first time I've seen the Beeb try and shoehorn him into sports coverage either.

I don't mind him. He was decent on Blue Peter, and I also think he works (or did work) on NXT UK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members

They are giving a big push to Radzi. He seems a nice enough fella but his sporting knowledge is lacking to say the least. He can't be any worse on this than he was when they had him waiting at the finish line to interview Eliud Kipchoge after he became the first person to run a marathon in under 2 hours. Bearing in mind all the athletic talent the BBC has in its commentary box that they could have sent to interview him, he must have been thrilled to see the lad off Blue Peter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...