Words you used to refer to stuff before you knew wrestling insider lingo?

Maikeru

• Paid Members

Just remembered that any wrestling promotion was called a "federation" presumably thanks to WWF influence.

The opposite of a rookie match (aka squash) was a superstar match.

Big events (whether PPV, TV special or major house show) were simply "supercards", presumably because distinguishing what was actually on pay-per-view was both complicated and indeed incomprehensible to a British person. ("You pay to watch something on television? Huh?")

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, JNLister said:

presumably because distinguishing what was actually on pay-per-view was both complicated and indeed incomprehensible to a British person. ("You pay to watch something on television? Huh?")

Which might explain why I and others referred to "paper views". No, I don't know paper made any more sense either ...

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Me and my brother used to call jobbers, "no names." 

"Was Raw any good?" "Nah, just a bunch of no name matches."

I think I've mentioned this before but the first time I got on the internet I remember reading Raw spoilers for the upcoming Friday night's show and being super jazzed about the new gimmick match called the, "Dark Match." My little mind was racing trying to think what it might entail. There's probably a thread to be made for the first time fans discovered the internet or Powerslam.

My "powerslam" moment was when I saw the results page, and it showed the results for every single house show WWF and WCW did that month. I couldn't believe it that the same matches were repeated night after night with exactly the same result(usually). It was the first time I actually realised that wrestling was actually all "fixed" like my Grandad used to say it was. 

Also remember there being a page where it listed each wrestlers real names, which must have been my first bit of "insider" information...

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

My "powerslam" moment was when I saw the results page, and it showed the results for every single house show WWF and WCW did that month. I couldn't believe it that the same matches were repeated night after night with exactly the same result(usually). It was the first time I actually realised that wrestling was actually all "fixed" like my Grandad used to say it was. 

Funny bit is that in Kent Walton's 1960s book, he does a bit "refuting" all the claims about wrestling being fixed, one of which is that sometimes wrestler A beats wrestler B but sometimes wrestler B beats wrestler A. He says that's actually perfectly normal when you think about it because one of them might be having an off-day or an injury, or come up with a new strategy. He concludes that if A beat B every time, *then* you might get suspicious.

• Paid Members

Reading back the old Spiked Piledriver issues, the non-squash matches were "Star matches" rather than Superstar.

Any hold or a move into a pin attempt is "scientific wrestling."

"[Greg Valentine] seemed half asleep and totally disinterested in the contest" was a sentiment that didn't really need a knowledge if insider lingo. Most reports of his matches have phrases like "cautiously measured" and "test of endurance."

Shawn Michaels always works the heat is "While he is as gutsy as any man in the sport, Jannetty seems to spend far longer out of the ring."

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Supremo said:

There's probably a thread to be made for the first time fans discovered the internet or Powerslam.

Honestly I enjoyed wrestling much more before that point. If I could go through time the second thing I'd do is tell young me not to boot up windows 98 and open that flashy AOL browser looking for wrestling stuff.

Moving on from non-insider terms to completely made up terms, when play wrestling as kids back in the mid 90s we had the "double tag" where if you could tag both of your partners hands that allowed you the 5-10 second numerical advantage in the ring (someone's garden usually). A "regular" tag meant you had to enter/exit immediately.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:26 AM, King Pitcos said:

We used to call PPVs main events as well! How did that come about, though? Surely the term “main event” would’ve only been in our stupid child heads from hearing people use it in the correct context.

Could it be from SNME getting shown over here when there were 3/4 PPV a year so they looked like the "bigger" shows compared to the matches shown on Superstars?

Archived