Movies you loved ages ago but watched recently and it’s not that great

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

"Weekend at Bernies" is good just for the scenery. Looks awesome and very calming. "Weekend at Bernies 2" is bloody awful though.

"Mannequin" is just shit (Sorry NN), Only thing that was good about it was the Starship theme song, IMO.

"Do You Dream About Me?" is a corker of a tune too.

This thread is made for Kevin Smith.

I watched Clerks again recently and its still pretty funny. Plus its charming because its just a 20 something making a film with his friends.

Chasing Amy is the one that has aged terribly.Mad to think I used to think it was edgy when really its a confused mess.  Its ending is still dumb and Affleck is bloody awful in it. It is saved by Jason Lee being great.

• Paid Members

I hated Chasing Amy when I saw it the first time. It was only because of my impure feelings for Joey Lauren Adams that I kept watching.

Like you, I still like Clerks, but everything else really hasn't held up well at all. Out of all the others, I retained some fondness for Dogma, but really the only thing I enjoyed about it was Rickman's performance. ...Strike Back is just absolutely dire, Mallrats was, as others have said, the right film for a certain time (which has long passed for me), and Clerks II - the less said about that, the better.

Outside the View Askiewniverse, the only Smith film I remember that I've seen is Daredevil, which isn't good, although I'd argue it's not quite as bad as was originally made out. Michael Clark Duncan was an inspired casting for the Kingpin, and Colin "Oi wan' a bloody costume" Farrell was funny. The story was basic, but solid enough. Everything else was meh. Jennifer Garner is nice to look at, and obviously her work in Alias suited her to playing Elektra, but I didn't give much of a damn about her or pretty much any other main character than Kingpin and Daredevil.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Outside the View Askiewniverse, the only Smith film I remember that I've seen is Daredevil, which isn't good, although I'd argue it's not quite as bad as was originally made out. Michael Clark Duncan was an inspired casting for the Kingpin, and Colin "Oi wan' a bloody costume" Farrell was funny. The story was basic, but solid enough. Everything else was meh. Jennifer Garner is nice to look at, and obviously her work in Alias suited her to playing Elektra, but I didn't give much of a damn about her or pretty much any other main character than Kingpin and Daredevil.

Not a Smith film.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I watched Clerks again recently and its still pretty funny. Plus its charming because its just a 20 something making a film with his friends.

Chasing Amy is the one that has aged terribly.Mad to think I used to think it was edgy when really its a confused mess.  Its ending is still dumb and Affleck is bloody awful in it. It is saved by Jason Lee being great.

I still find Clerks charming because of that - I found it (and him) enormously inspirational. I'd still find him more so if he didn't peak with Chasing Amy/Dogma. There were a lot of years of expecting bigger, better things, and it's sadly never happened.

I like Chasing Amy more than most (same with Dogma). I never found it edgy - it's a confused mess because it's about love/sexuality and confusion. The ending, I still really like - it's a guy doing an idiotic thing and screwing up. Mallrats, on the other hand, ugh.

It's partly Smith's career trajectory overall, has meant they've gone from being promising and exciting to being the high points of his career. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Think he did a pass on the script because of Affleck, but yeah not a Smith film. Red State at least showed some new turn in career which he then fumbled

Fair enough. I was led to believe he had an involvement in the production of the film because he'd done some work on the comics.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure Smith was only involved in the film because of Affleck and his run writing on the Daredevil comic.

Chasing Amy is my least favourite maybe aside from Yoga Housers. Amy has some really funny scenes but as a film it's painful with a very misguided message.

Dogma I still love. It's both a fun adventure and has some good funnies.

Clerks and Mallrats are still great.