Movies you loved ages ago but watched recently and it’s not that great

wordsfromlee

• Moderators

I seemed to be the only person who didn't like Kids out of the group of friends I watched it with around the time. Even though I skated and considered myself a bit of a rebel I just (rightly) though they were all a bunch of arseholes. I guess I was just too much of a square..?

It's not a movie but the opening post did make me think abbot how much I enjoyed Scrubs when it first came out and how unwatchably terrible I find it now.

Other than that I had excellent tastes and all my childhood favourites are great. Except Red Sonia, that's a load of shite that even Arnie can't save.

• Paid Members

I never liked "Kids" either. Just a gross, gross film. All dickheads too, as a number of people have said. I remember the newspapers going on about it with the usual "BAN THIS FILTH!" stuff. I'd have loved to have smacked the main male teenager in it. I'd have never tired of smacking that fucker. Best heel ever.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That said, I watched Electric Dreams relatively recently and didn't like it nearly as much as I remembered.

Yeah, neither did I. I imagine the film is mostly known for its soundtrack album including Giorgio Moroder & Phil Oakey "Together in Electric Dreams". Whole film is like a big music video for Giorgio Moroder (who does a couple of cameos). Weird camera angles in it can feck off as well.

ADDED: People thinking it was good probably also has something to do with the fact that the VHS was deleted for years due to a music rights issue (VHS used to go for mental money on Ebay) and only got released on DVD a few years ago. You never got the chance to revisit it.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I havent watched BASEketball or Mallrats in about 15 years and am worried they too will not hold up well. I rewatched Gremlins a couple of christmas ago and it was nowhere near as good as I remembered, though Gremlins 2 I thought did. I also think The Goonies and Princess Bride are films I enjoy more now then when they first came out.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I havent watched BASEketball or Mallrats in about 15 years and am worried they too will not hold up well.

BASEketball still makes me smile but only in memory of how hard I laughed when I was the age that the humour was pitched perfectly for what I found funny, and not because I'm still laughing. Apart from the jokes about Dallas "rejoicing" over the video of rioting and burning cars complete with injury/fatality count at the end, and Robert Stack saying "Option number one - he's hanging by his neck in his fucking closet" which takes me off guard to this day.

Mallrats still has its charm - Shannon Doherty, Michael Rooker and Jason Lee are all very worth watching in it, Affleck is amazing, Stan Lee as Stan Lee makes me smile and as the first film I saw Jay & Bob I'll always defend it irrationally. Even though Jeremy London's acting is appalling, I feel that's counter balanced by Forlani Factor (nothing to do with acting).

• Paid Members

Another one for the indie bin, Me And You And Everyone We Know. I caught this on Film 4 when I was in my late teens and it was right place, right time. I love the quirky nature of the characters and intertwining plot, and the artsy visuals and deep themes running through the narrative. I bought it on DVD the next day and soon had the poster on my wall. 

Then I watched it with a girl around 8 years ago and she fell asleep, even after I bigged it up as this masterpiece of cinema. I didn't watch again until I threw it on for old times sake a while back and it's then that I concluded that it's just sheer nonsense. The plot is paper thin and most of the characters don't have satisfying conclusions, let alone any definable arc. The themes and messages have good intentions but they're lost in a sea of pointless scenes.

Love Actually nailed this formula down.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Another one for the indie bin, Me And You And Everyone We Know.

Another one I hated right from the get-go. Miranda July's follow-up, The Future, is even worse. Both of them are two of the worst films I've ever seen.

• Paid Members

I forgot to add my answer and everyone's going to hate this..... Ferris Bueller's Day Off is nowhere near as good as people seem to remember it and I'd never choose it over Breakfast Club, Short Circuit, Flight Of The Navigator, Mannequin.... I could go on.

23 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Yeah, Love Actually is a fucking awful film, as you say, completely unlikeable characters throughout and thinner than Jake Roberts pet snake.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I forgot to add my answer and everyone's going to hate this..... Ferris Bueller's Day Off is nowhere near as good as people seem to remember it and I'd never choose it over Breakfast Club, Short Circuit, Flight Of The Navigator, Mannequin.... I could go on.

I’m with you. Breakfast Club holds up amazingly well. Ferris Bueller is an absolute cunt and is unbearable and the film sucks because of it

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

52 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Another one for the indie bin, Me And You And Everyone We Know. I caught this on Film 4 when I was in my late teens and it was right place, right time. I love the quirky nature of the characters and intertwining plot, and the artsy visuals and deep themes running through the narrative. I bought it on DVD the next day and soon had the poster on my wall. 

Then I watched it with a girl around 8 years ago and she fell asleep, even after I bigged it up as this masterpiece of cinema. I didn't watch again until I threw it on for old times sake a while back and it's then that I concluded that it's just sheer nonsense. The plot is paper thin and most of the characters don't have satisfying conclusions, let alone any definable arc. The themes and messages have good intentions but they're lost in a sea of pointless scenes.

What could be more charming than a reverse grooming where an adult fantasies about pooing in to said child's butt hole and him passing it back and forth forever. ))<>((forever!

I loved Quick Change as a kid and in to my teens. One of those films I'd stick on at night and fall asleep with on in the background. Harped on about it for years to my Mrs until she eventually agreed to watch it. I mean, Bill Murray, Randy Quaid and Geena Davis in a crime caper featuring clowns- what's not to like. Everything apparently. About 5 minutes in I realised that it's not aged well, it's nowhere near as funny and clever as I remembered it being and felt a right twat for going on about how great it was.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, air_raid said:

I didn't see Ferris Bueller until I was in my thirties, and it really didn't live up to the hype that it had while I was at school. Ferris is an arse, his sister's whiney, there's not really any likeable characters and I found it a bit meh overall. I'll generally give Broderick a free pass too because I've got a big soft spot for Ladyhawk,

Breakfast Club I never cared for as it was more suited to my sister.

Short Circuit is okay, it's Johnny Five that doesn't hold up when looking back, and I think we were in denial at the time. It's nice that they used a "real" robot for most of it, but fucking hell was he ungainly and clumsy.

Mannequin? You can fuck off. It's the perfect 1980s time capsule. Every bit of dodgy fashion, movie cliché, splodgy synthesiser, hairstyle, and shiny ceiling.

Flight of The Navigator I was disappointed with when it came out. The first half hour is superb (if you ignore how shit the robot hostess trolley is) and still holds up well. It's quite dark and intense, and even at 9 years old I liked that darker edge. It starts to go downhill pretty much from when Max turns up. It's like they didn't know quite what to do once David gets in the ship and so we just have 50 minutes of Dave and Peewee's whacky space blimp adventures.

• Paid Members

"Weekend at Bernies" is good just for the scenery. Looks awesome and very calming. "Weekend at Bernies 2" is bloody awful though.

"Mannequin" is just shit (Sorry NN), Only thing that was good about it was the Starship theme song, IMO.

Edited by bAzTNM#1