Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Sonny Mustang

16 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

WWE always use the worst songs, though. Kevin Dunn's taste is music is fascinating.

I can’t get that weeknd song that was the theme for this years mania out of my head. I like how for the official mania they deviate from the usual generic metal dirge and opt for something catchy and poppy. Peter Gabriel’s big time and one republics love runs out from last year are good examples 

11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

If this was a TV show, then it's all in Wyatt's head and so it's fine. This isn't though. This is Cena playing along in a live dream sequence

My interpretation is that the fun house is a place of self reflection but that Bray is the creator and master of it. Cena agreed to enter Bray's creation and therefore he was bound by the rules of the Funhouse and in Brays world he is God. 

I also like to imagine that the actual pin took place in the ring and that everything else was just being projected for Cena to watch. Or you are right and it's wrestlecrap.

For me, the real question about the Boneyard and Firefly Funhouse matches is did I enjoy them? Absolutely no question about it.

So they can be dissected and overanalysed and questioned as much as anything, but me for it will always come down to whether I enjoyed something or not.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

The whole thing is bollocks anyway if you break it down. Even in the build up, the whole thing centres around the fact Cena didn't put him over at Mania 30. What's that mean to anyone story line wise? It's all horseshit.

That part I don’t find that problematic, because Cena beating Bray and sending him on a downward spiral works if it was a real fight as well. John Cena was so hellbent on squashing new threats to his spot that he got in the way of Bray Wyatt’s Abigail-foretold destiny.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

That part I don’t find that problematic, because Cena beating Bray and sending him on a downward spiral works if it was a real fight as well. John Cena was so hellbent on squashing new threats to his spot that he got in the way of Bray Wyatt’s Abigail-foretold destiny.

That's not the way they tell it though. Like that Cena promo where he calls him the most "overhyped, overvalued, overprivileged WWE superstar in existence" or something like it. It's insider nonsense. Maybe it works because no-one really cares that much at the moment anyway.

I wonder what the average 9 year old fan made of that "match" at Mania?

7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's not the way they tell it though. Like that Cena promo where he calls him the most "overhyped, overvalued, overprivileged WWE superstar in existence" or something like it. It's insider nonsense.

They never talk about it in terms of Cena “putting him over” or “doing the job” or whatever. Without the surrealism of the Funhouse, it’s more or less the same “top babyface = bad” insider nonsense as Cena’s feuds with Punk, Bryan, Rock, Owens and others over the years.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

They never talk about it in terms of Cena “putting him over” or “doing the job” or whatever. Without the surrealism of the Funhouse, it’s more or less the same “top babyface = bad” insider nonsense as Cena’s feuds with Punk, Bryan, Rock, Owens and others over the years.

Maybe you're right and I'm taking it too literally given what they eventualy presented.

35 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's not the way they tell it though. Like that Cena promo where he calls him the most "overhyped, overvalued, overprivileged WWE superstar in existence" or something like it. It's insider nonsense. Maybe it works because no-one really cares that much at the moment anyway.

I wonder what the average 9 year old fan made of that "match" at Mania?

Funny you say that, my lad is 9 and a huge fan.

He didn't understand it all and said it was boring, and this is a lad who is usually engrossed by anything WWE related.

He loved the boneyard match though.

The above seems to have been the general consensus from what i've seen. Which is understandable, The Funhouse was very insidery and was playing off a whole load of references that required some knowledge of the past 30 years of WWE. A 9 year old won't care about that and only knows one version of John Cena. WrestleMania nowadays always has something that is more aimed at the 'smark' audience and rewards loyal viewing/following of the product. It'll usually also have something that very much appeals to the younger audience too. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a bit of both.

Everyone seems to be comparing the Boneyard and Funhouse. They've been dubbed 'cinematic' wrestling, but they were very different. Boneyard was your big action blockbuster, Funhouse was your David Lynch like, wanky arthouse picture (not a knock, i loved it).

• Paid Members

I really don't know if that Cena / Wyatt thing was brilliant or piss poor. Love the Animotion - "Obsession" song being used.

Made sense but as somebody said "too insidery". Too much like a extended skit.

Added: such good shit!

Edited by bAzTNM#1

It was the most self indulgent bit of telly I can remember seeing. Like how all John Lennon’s songs in the 70s would just be about him and his wife and kids without any subtext, even using their names in the songs. But a lot worse because being in love and fathering children are fairly universal experiences, whereas John Cena’s wrestling career is just barmy subject matter for a piece of performance art like this.