Sign in to follow this  
Sonny Mustang

Wrestlemania 36- Tampa Bay Bay

Just been thinking about this weird no-fans-in-attendance-WrestleMania. 

Can you imagine what it would feel like to be McIntyre or Edge coming into this thing? McIntyre has his whole life wanted to be in the main event of WM and to (possibly) win the title in front of NOBODY would be brutal. Imagine him winning it and running around screaming to himself with the belt as there is deathly silence in the background (cept screeching Michael Cole). Edge taking best part of a decade off to return to silence. Its crazy.

I get why they wanted to have it postponed but to do it in an empty building sounds crazy to me. In my view wrestling works when there is a crowd to feed off. Ebbs and flows of the matches are predicated on crowd response. Imagine Austin returning at Backlash 2000 in an empty building. Or Michaels flying from the rafters to silence. The whole premise of wrestling is about the interaction between crowd and wrestlers - we have all seen a good match look like the shits because the crowd is dead, same as a match that is substandard being seen as good because of a red hot crowd. 

I guess Vince doesn't want to postpone because his storylines are geared toward certain matches and how can be draw that out until the pandemic ends? How would he postpone Goldberg vs Reigns etc until the summer and carry on with weekly TV in the interim? Also he has contractual obligations for arenas through the year for other events like SummerSlam so moving them around would be a bitch. There is no reason he couldn't just cancel Mania entirely this year and have WM 36 in April 2021 - adding to the "Wrestle-Mania Story" that Vince loves banging on about on the Network. 

How do people think this will go? Worst of all time or a surprisingly good event? 

I hope that they cut the show by a few hours - stick to 3 1/2 hours tops and cut a bunch of shit that didn't need being on there. They could easily have the following matches and clip the rest of the card.

• McIntyre v Lesnar
  • Edge v Orton
  • Undertaker v Styles
  • Cena vs Wyatt
  • Bazler vs Lynch
  • Goldberg v Reigns
  • A gimmick match of some description

I really hope that they also make the Performance Centre look badass and unique as they will have much more space to play with (make it a set that encompasses the whole ringside area!) If they have a pirate type theme, make a big ship to sit in the middle of the building - add treasure chests, a beach, palm trees!

I have a suspicion they will do their normal 9802983795827 hour show with everyone crammed onto the card. The set will be lacklustre and the show will be mildly entertaining but dead due to no crowd. 

I am very happy to be wrong though this will be the first Mania I watch in five years so the intrigue is definitely there. 

Edited by Michael_3165

While I won't be watching, it's an interesting one to think about with regards to how they do it. One thing that could work (at least in being different) - have the wrestlers, trainers, personnel, etc as the audience. Spread out enough that they're not just a blob, but so they can be shouting encouragement, getting involved, giving reactions, furthering storylines, etc.

There are rumours that WWE are bluffing with it being held at the Performance Centre hoping Orlando would shut it down so they can claim back their cost. And are looking to postpone it to June at MSG. I've just read this so could be all bullshit.

I’ve had an email from ticketmaster today saying that as the show has been cancelled, they will be issuing refunds automatically within 30 days

DBS's Daughter has said on twitter the WWE have informed her the Hall of Fame is to be rescheduled, possibly for Summerslam this year, which obviously is more fitting for the Bulldog

Is The Undertaker going to do his full entrance in an empty arena? Because that's going to be the weirdest thing about this whole mad event.

An interesting idea I read somewhere was if they filmed each segment and match one by one over the coming days/weeks and really go hard on cinematic angles and stuff to make it look like a movie. It's supposed to be the biggest and grandest show of the year and I thought it would be a cool way to make it slightly more interesting than an empty arena match over and over.

14 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Surely this will die on its arse. Wrestling needs an audience to feed off IMO. How do you do heat spots without heat? 

I can hear vince right now saying "we dont need a crowd pal, it's... WWRREESSTTLLEEMMAANNIIAA!" 

Such a egotistical McMahon thing to do though he will use it in his "Top Ten Unique WWE Moments" packages for decades. 

Good luck to em. It takes balls. 

Both DDT and Stardom have put on entertaining shows recently with no audiences so it can be done.

However Wrestlemania is an entirely different beast.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

An interesting idea I read somewhere was if they filmed each segment and match one by one over the coming days/weeks and really go hard on cinematic angles and stuff to make it look like a movie. It's supposed to be the biggest and grandest show of the year and I thought it would be a cool way to make it slightly more interesting than an empty arena match over and over.

I thought about this earlier and if they could get away with it I think it's a good opportunity to test this type of shooting. Just thinking about Goldberg and Undertaker getting to pre record their matches over a full day, without getting blown up, having to push on through an injury, retake any botches. Go mad with the angles, edit it to fuck. It's not quite pro wrestling but it could be just the thing that saves those matches.

Maybe they could orchestrate some of the matches to replace the crowd noise. If you aren't having a crowd and can pre-tape the shows (potentially), it would give you something unique during this period. 

Yeah, I feel strangely confident that this will end up being a strong show. The lack of crowd noise will either force them to think outside the box, or leave them wanting to rush through the shoe and get it out of the way.

But...it’s Wrestlemania. Surely they wouldn’t do that, right?

1 hour ago, Arn Anderson's Darb said:

I thought about this earlier and if they could get away with it I think it's a good opportunity to test this type of shooting. Just thinking about Goldberg and Undertaker getting to pre record their matches over a full day, without getting blown up, having to push on through an injury, retake any botches. Go mad with the angles, edit it to fuck. It's not quite pro wrestling but it could be just the thing that saves those matches.

The moment you strip out that many of the norms and the conventions of wrestling you'll unintentionally start to reject it as a viewer. It happens any time someone tries to over produce wrestling or changes the format of something drastically. Fans are so conditioned to a classic hard side / ringside camera set up that anytime a new angle pops in it takes them out of the match. It'd be jarring for a match but for an entire show without any drip feeding of the style first, it'd be insanity. It'd be the wrestling equivilant of the uncanny valley. 

The reason they are doing these Raw's and Smackdowns in an empty performance centre and not just airing 'highlight shows' is to condition us to watch Wrestlemania like this and not be too surprised or critic it that much as it will be less of a shock. We would have 3 weeks of empty Performance Centre shows so by the time its Wrestlemania so we wont find it too odd to watch although obviously it will be. WWE will not change how they produce the matches. They will go exactly how they were meant to. Vince just wants this disaster to be over with and collect the cash from sponsors. They will try spin it as if they are heroes to never cancel anything when in reality they would have if there arses were covered.

3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

That is an interesting idea, but they would completely fuck it. One match would have more cuts than that scene in Bohemian Rhapsody. And think of the amount of crash zooms they'd have if they pre-taped it. It'd be unbearable.