PowerButchi

The Smackers Thread

21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Fuckin UFC Smackdown.

Had to Google who both Cain Velasquez and Tyson Fury were. So glad WWE is now a real combat sport and not that silly dramatic rubbish. 

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Had to Google who both Cain Velasquez and Tyson Fury were. So glad WWE is now a real combat sport and not that silly dramatic rubbish. 

I appreciate the point here, but Velasquez was one of the biggest stars in UFC over the past decade and actually beat up Brock Lesnar, so there's history between them. Lesnar the WWE champ and Lesnar the UFC fighter are the same character on the show.

Tyson Fury is also one of the biggest names in his sport right now, he's nowhere near Mike Tyson level famous, but he's a big star. I doubt many wrestling fans were making the same complaint when Stone Cold and Iron Mike had their moment. 

35 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I appreciate the point here, but Velasquez was one of the biggest stars in UFC over the past decade and actually beat up Brock Lesnar, so there's history between them. Lesnar the WWE champ and Lesnar the UFC fighter are the same character on the show.

Tyson Fury is also one of the biggest names in his sport right now, he's nowhere near Mike Tyson level famous, but he's a big star. I doubt many wrestling fans were making the same complaint when Cold Stone and Iron Mike had their moment. 

Fixed it for you. 

36 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

he's nowhere near Mike Tyson level famous

That's kinda the point. I'm being overly grouchy sure; I'm probably way out of WWE's target demographic now. I'm sure their market research is impeccable and they have picked the perfect outsiders to bring in the fresh eyes their advertisers want. Just like Lawrence Taylor. 

That's not a great comparison. Every one on the planet knew who Mike Tyson was. Not only because of his boxing brilliance but because of his conviction and his biting of Holyfield's ear.

Loads of people won't know Tyson Fury. Especially on the US were he's only had one high profile fight. Suspect there are many fans who couldn't pick Deontay Wilder out of a line-up. Heavyweight boxing isn't what it was.

I did qualify my point by saying Fury isn't the star that Mike Tyson was, but in 2019, nobody is. Pop culture has changed. Fury is still a big star and has a broader appeal than many of the American sports stars or actors they've used for similar angles over the past decade. I'd rather see WWE making this sort of effort to pull in some fresh eyes on their shows than not bothering at all. 

32 minutes ago, Philjax said:

I honestly can't believe how awful this show was.

I don't care what the evidence points to but if you honestly think Smackdown was bad you're a moron. Smackdown's name is being heavily tarnished here with Fox’s ineptitude.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I did qualify my point by saying Fury isn't the star that Mike Tyson was, but in 2019, nobody is. Pop culture has changed. Fury is still a big star and has a broader appeal than many of the American sports stars or actors they've used for similar angles over the past decade. I'd rather see WWE making this sort of effort to pull in some fresh eyes on their shows than not bothering at all. 

To be fair in the UK most people probably know Tommy Fury from Love Island than Tyson Fury such is how pop culture is these days. Mind you that might not be a bad thing if that's the road WWE want to go down, if the likes of Tyson Fury (and Tommy Fury) are tweeting/getting involved then its more followers/eyes on the product, YouTube views etc. 

It's all so rare on WWE television these days that we get a big time main event, a massive suprise debut and a hook for next week's Tele - yet people still want to piss and moan.

We've been absolutely spoilt this week with wrestling and as a fan for over 30 years I've bloody loved every moment of it.  Forget about ITV don't deserve wrestling, wrestling fans don't deserve wrestling!

The entitled era can bloody do one!

16 hours ago, Bohan said:

It's all so rare on WWE television these days that we get a big time main event, a massive suprise debut and a hook for next week's Tele - yet people still want to piss and moan.

We've been absolutely spoilt this week with wrestling and as a fan for over 30 years I've bloody loved every moment of it.  Forget about ITV don't deserve wrestling, wrestling fans don't deserve wrestling!

The entitled era can bloody do one!

Let's be honest the look of the show hasn't changed much at all. That's disappointing. I'm talking about the way the matches are shot, the lighting, Michael fuckin' Cole. It's just so antiseptic and kills any potential enjoyment that a surprise debut or cliffhanger might have for me. 

Given the current brand-fan relationship, I’m actually quite worried that Tyson might get a terrible reception when he’s given a live mic tonight.

Full heel is the route, I guess, but they tend not to do that with celebrities. Is Federline the last heel celebrity?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

35 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Given the current brand-fan relationship, I’m actually quite worried that Tyson might get a terrible reception when he’s given a live mic tonight.

Full heel is the route, I guess, but they tend not to do that with celebrities. Is Federline the last heel celebrity?

Why worried? He's a cunt. I hope he's booed out of the building.

48 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Mayweather turned heel, he was more recent than K-Fed. A fair few of the guest hosts were after that and played heel as well.