The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

This place turns the direction you take a shit in and children’s films in to polarising topics. The internet and real life are very different things.

The only thing we all agree on is that the fastening goes at the bottom of the bed on a duvet cover. 

56 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

This place turns the direction you take a shit in and children’s films in to polarising topics. The internet and real life are very different things.

Attacking this place is also very 2000s!  Most people on here are in their 30s and 40s and have families and jobs and shit, this is just where we chat about wrestling.  Let’s not pretend this place is anything like dem wans out there.

In all honesty if we all posted “I mildly enjoyed / was slightly disappointed by” all the time it would be boring af.  I may not always agree with @Supremo on every show but I admire his enthusiasm for the old grapple and grunt.  

Different Opinions = good.

Edited by Loki

It does seem a little like Punk can't win at this point. He does a promo where he makes no insider references and gets criticised. He does one where makes a couple of digs and it's 'he really shouldn't do that it's not the right crowd'.

I'm not exactly a fan of the guy but it does seem a little bit like 'Christ, what DO you people want from the guy!?'. 

I liked the backstage bits, to be fair.

Cody/Punk and Knight/Punk both seem like exciting future matches.

But, @Snitsky's back acne, I think the answer to ‘what do you want?’ is probably just ‘wrestling stuff, please’. I didn’t mind the first promo so can’t speak to that, but I think the hook being how strange it is he’s back or how awful a bloke he apparently is has a limited shelf life.

Seeing him interact with other people on the roster was quite exciting.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

But, @Snitsky's back acne, I think the answer to ‘what do you want?’ is probably just ‘wrestling stuff, please’. 

So stuff like, setting up future feuds with people by taking digs at them, that kind of thing? Giving your opponents ammunition to use against you in promos, that kind of thing?

Again, I can take him or leave him, but to he has been sowing seeds to future feuds and getting people talking about what he will do when he say/do when he shows up, which is absolutely 'wrestling stuff'. 

39 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

You honestly don't think he's polarising in "real life"? 

Ah, it was the referencing of his character that had me thinking you were talking about CM Punk WWE superstar and not Phil the grumpy old bastard. Still, to the general public he just a very good wrestler who can make them react exact how he wants them to. Obviously in real life he never grew out of his moody arse plastic punk phase.

8 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

So stuff like, setting up future feuds with people by taking digs at them, that kind of thing? Giving your opponents ammunition to use against you in promos, that kind of thing?

Again, I can take him or leave him, but to he has been sowing seeds to future feuds and getting people talking about what he will do when he say/do when he shows up, which is absolutely 'wrestling stuff'. 

He literally didn’t take a dig at LA Knight. He used his schtick for a pop. I also think he whistled through naming Solo, Jimmy, Jey, KO, Roman and Cody without taking a dig. Seth is the only one he took a real shot at. He was just naming people.

I’ve said the promo was technically good, well delivered, I just didn’t think him going through a list of people naming them did anyone any favours. Him existing on his own island where the novelty is how novel it is that he’s there doesn’t really do it for me. That’s okay. 

Him backstage meeting Cody, or KO, or LA Knight and Orton was exciting, and made him feel an active part of a dynamic show. Top marks for that.

Him making AEW jokes no one cared about and getting the crowd to chant L… A… Knight just didn’t do anything for me.

But, ta for the weird passive aggressive tone in your reply. Always a pleasure to discuss wrestling with a grown up.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

12 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Him making AEW jokes no one cared about and getting the crowd to chant L… A… Knight just didn’t do anything for me.

It was a reference that was fun for those who got it and made sense for those who didn't. He's right. You can't go around punching people backstage. If you were a fan with no knowledge of AEW it would make sense.

No passive aggressiveness here, bud. 

• Paid Members

He's just a bit shit isn't he? The Raw debut with the mask and the lack of push and the removal of Scarlett was a pretty bizarre Vince hatchet job, no question, but I'm not convinced he's worth pushing. His promos are consistently cringeworthy, he was only big/imposing enough to be a monster in NXT against small opponents and he's nothing to write home about in-ring either. 

Edited by JLM

3 minutes ago, JLM said:

He's just a bit shit isn't he? The Raw debut with the mask and the lack of push and the removal of Scarlett was a pretty bizarre Vince hatchet job, no question, but I'm not convinced he's worth pushing. His promos are consistently cringeworthy, he was only big/imposing enough to be a monster in NXT against small opponents and he's nothing to write home about in-ring either. 

Agree with this. In-ring I see him as nothing more than a 2023 Snitsky, minus the acne-ridden upper back.

Edited by Matthew

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

Agree with this. In-ring I see him as nothing more than a 2023 Snitsky, minus the acne-ridden upper back.

Yeah maybe I bought the smoke and mirrors too much. I always thought he was money when he was in NXT with the entrance and the overall presentation. He worked well in quick squashes where he could look like a monster.

Sadly, I think he has been exposed and as much as I like to think there is still something that can be salvaged there it is looking increasingly like there isn't.