The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Huh? I've listened to it a few times now and don't hear a CM Punk chant at all, let alone a loud one? Regardless, after a line like that, Punk was clearly expecting a big, AEW crowdlike 'Ohhhhh' or a big laugh, but it's clearly a compete non reaction. 

He may not have gotten the laugh but the chant was definitely there. This is a clip from the live feed, instead of a 30sec clip on Twitter. 

Apologies that you have to watch/hear the money beg at the same time:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe84qj5f/

Maybe I’m giving it more credit than it’s worth but it felt like a deliberate deconstruction of the classic returning hero WWE promo.  My guess is they’ll have him laugh at all the fans at some point for buying in to his phoney bollocks. Otherwise it’s just CM Punk pretending to be John Cena.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Matthew said:

He may not have gotten the laugh but the chant was definitely there. This is a clip from the live feed, instead of a 30sec clip on Twitter. 

Apologies that you have to watch/hear the money beg at the same time:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe84qj5f/

That clip is awful, that bloke gives his reactions over most of the audio anyway.

I did watch it live, there was some chanting, there was some piped in. You could see some in the crowd chanting and as many not reacting at all. 

He’s definitely over, and it was clearly noisy in there. I don’t think the commentators are lying about how noisy it was in there, plus he’s clearly shifting a tonne of merchandise. Good for him.

He’s a huge star, he gave them their most social moment ever, he’s making them a fuck load of money. Great. But his second promo back he’s saying “listen, I know you hated the first promo so I’m going to try and give you something you do like” - which isn’t a great start - and then he’s just naming people for the fans to cheer. Him just using the LA Knight shtick for a reaction is possibly the cheapest pop ever seen on TV.

Give him something to do.

In other news, Randy Orton is wonderful. Viva La Juice.

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That clip is awful, that bloke gives his reactions over most of the audio anyway.

This is what I dislike about the type of TikTok “creator”, as they talk over most the audio, and exaggerate the reactions in the hope it creates better videos.

Surely a lot if this is generational...the product has shifted so much from where we were when Punk was last around and I would think so has a huge percentage of the audience. 

I'm 41, I love the guy, always have, and really enjoyed his promo this week....however I now have 10 year old twins who have no clue who he has and are failing to see why Daddy is so excited about him being back as he is "boring".

Heck even my 26 year old brother remembers punk being very different when he was last in WWE and talking about Ice Cream bars and plastic cups as he could relate to it a bit more when he was younger. 

I guess for me I haven't changed or gone from childhood to adulthood in his absence so I am still enjoying the same smirking nudge nudge wink wink guy he always was...however I completely get why a large majority of the audience are either apathetic or completely baffled as to why he's coming in and throwing random digs at their new heroes

The hyperbole used when people don’t like something Punk does or something he does doesn’t land is off the scale on here to be honest.

The promo was fine, one line didn’t land but he’s still over. That was it really.

28 minutes ago, FUM said:

The hyperbole used when people don’t like something Punk does or something he does doesn’t land is off the scale on here to be honest.

The promo was fine, one line didn’t land but he’s still over. That was it really.

He's a polarising character. Always has been. So the reactions are bound to be at either ends of the scale.

He gets people talking though which I imagine is one of the main reasons he was hired back.

Polarising? I wouldn’t say so. It’s not like he’s leaned in to being cheered and booed like Big Match John. He’s always been exactly what he’s been presented as, an anti authority face sticking it to the man or an anti populace heel who’s better than you.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

So 10 minutes of a tired looking middle-aged man chuckling at his own inside jokes goes down like a lead balloon.

Sometimes though, it’s the audience who are the problem. As long as he’s having fun doing it, and annoying tedious tribal twats in the process, that’s all that counts!

• Paid Members

Most important in all of this, is that they’ve officially pencilled him in for a Main Event of Night Four of a buy-one-get-one-free extravaganza. Mad how everything went full circle and he finally got it.

You either die a full-timer never Main Eventing Wrestlemania or live long enough to see yourself become the Part Timer waltzing in and stealing it from THE BOYS.

Surely that means we’re getting Stone Cold? They can’t possibly think Seth or that match with Punk is big enough for that slot? Seth’s the definition of the full-timer who thinks he’s far better than he is, in need of a reality check when a couple of run-down old blokes headline Mania over him.

Edited by Supremo

51 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Polarising? I wouldn’t say so. It’s not like he’s leaned in to being cheered and booed like Big Match John. He’s always been exactly what he’s been presented as, an anti authority face sticking it to the man or an anti populace heel who’s better than you.

There's a 112 page topic JUST on him which ranges from people crying with joy because he came back to those who think he should fuck off from wrestling completely. If that's not polarising I don't know what is.

27 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

There's a 112 page topic JUST on him which ranges from people crying with joy because he came back to those who think he should fuck off from wrestling completely. If that's not polarising I don't know what is.

This place turns the direction you take a shit in and children’s films in to polarising topics. The internet and real life are very different things.