The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

What IS her character? 

I never understood it in NXT. There was too much going on. The green hair, piercings, tattoos, fishnets, riding a tiny tank, wearing a helmet with horns on it, howling on the top rope and she used to do this weird finger gesture on her forehead, like a Slitheen opening their zip. What is she? She needs to find something beyond “alternative crazy girl” to stand out. 

On a slightly similar subject, only because I’m currently watching a Dynamite from a few weeks ago. Red Velvet. “From straight outta your momma’s kitchen”. She stirs an imaginary bowl and wears a fucking apron to the ring. Are you a baker? Are you a cake? She’s pretty bad in the ring, but how is she ever going to be anything more than a jobber without a big change in presentation? 

• Paid Members

The absolute non-reaction to his big line is amazing. You’re not in Kansas anymore, Punk. This is not the crowd you think it is.

”It’s two thousand and twenty three, ladies and gentleman…”

Indeed it is, Phil. And you feel like someone who’s time travelled from 2012. A man completely out of time, chuckling at his own joke because nobody else got it or cared.

Fascinating run, this.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

The crowd may not have reacted how he hoped to that line, but in general I thought the presentation of Punk on this show was actually pretty good. Putting lots of pieces in place for future programmes, more interactions, just a bit more effort put into it all. 

They have no idea how to present him.

They tried doing clean slate, WWE promo and got slammed online; they tried the promo everyone wanted (literally, vast swathes of that Smackers promo is stuff people had asked for verbatim) and it didn’t really land either.

The vast majority of the WWE audience don’t care about AEW. I imagine that’s even more pronounced at a Tribute for the Troops show.

The stuff that seems to be close to working is when he talks about other wrestlers, so maybe - radical, I know - they should get him into a wrestling feud.

I think Phil is allergic to wrestling, though. He’s already looking 10 years older than when he returned at Survivor Series. Fortunately, then he looked 20 years younger than his AEW run so he’s still up on the cards but he could do with getting back to the fountain and having a wee dip.

• Paid Members

This may be me making 2+2=5 but how long has Owens been punching people backstage, a couple of months? Maybe it started as a dig at Punk, but maybe that's how long they've known Punk was coming in all along and it's a dig at AEW. WWE are definitely petty enough to do either, and Owens is the kind of guy who will do whatever it takes for an angle. I'm probably wrong but it's a hell of a coincidence that WWE have a guy punching people backstage when they've brought in a guy who got fired for punching people backstage. Maybe we have all forgotten that while WWE may no longer be the plaything of Vince McMahon, his snide spirit still lives on, and any chance snidely have a pop at AEW will be taken. 

That's probably all cobblers, but on 2 non-consecutive hours sleep in 2 nights the mind definitely wanders out into the long grass. 

I watched the whole segment back, and it’s obviously a good promo. He delivered it well, it had a point… but boy, it didn’t half get a bit Peter Kay in the middle. He was just remembering people and saying their names to variable degrees of noise.

He just needs a purpose and a point now. Get him in with someone and let him focus on them.

It was weird hearing him say ‘amirite?’ like a hack comic after his lines, and referring to the crowd as ‘y’all’.

My dreams of him starting a wellness cult are still alive though, with him referring to his ‘journey’ several times 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The absolute non-reaction to his big line is amazing. You’re not in Kansas anymore, Punk. This is not the crowd you think it is.

”It’s two thousand and twenty three, ladies and gentleman…”

Indeed it is, Phil. And you feel like someone who’s time travelled from 2012. A man completely out of time, chuckling at his own joke because nobody else got it or cared.

Fascinating run, this.

Must be watching different things, a loud CM Punk chant started after that line. People often see what they want to see.

Incredible how this company now has babyface's that are ridiculously over. Punk, Rhodes, Orton, Seth etc.

This company had none about 4 years ago!

Reigns/Punk at Mania ?

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

He was just remembering people and saying their names to variable degrees of noise.

Perhaps that is an indication of how over they are rather than how over he is. 

46 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

He just needs a purpose and a point now. Get him in with someone and let him focus on them.

Why rush. There's money to be made in the speculation. I know he could fall out with everyone at the drop of a hat but why rush into something that you may not need. Seth will still be there.